“Our recent stay at Hotel Veritas was...just amazing!”
Review of Hotel Veritas

Hotel Veritas
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Brunswick, Maine
“Our recent stay at Hotel Veritas was...just amazing!”
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Our recent stay at Hotel Veritas was just...amazing! The staff was extremely professional from dress to service. Our room was elegant! We had access to a sunny deck, which we took full advantage of on a beautiful October day! After experiencing Harvard's busy Octoberfest, we gratefully returned to Hotel Veritas to escape the noisy hubbub and relaxed with drinks on the outdoor patio. Upon returning from a late night in the city we collasped on the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in a hotel! The linens were luxurious as well as all the amentities provided in the room. A fabulous shower awaited us in the morning in a gorgeous bathroom! A very helpful staff led us to a delicious breakfast just minutes away! This hotel is a gem!! I can't wait to return to Hotel Veritas!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at Hotel Veritas. We're grateful that you took the time to post your comments and we hope to see you again soon!

Benson Willis, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Hotel Veritas is a beautiful boutique hotel near Harvard Square. I was here for one night this past week on a business trip. Although my room was indeed on the small side (225 sq ft), it was perfectly fine. I loved the Etro toiletries, and my king-size bed was very comfortable. What really made my stay memorable was the Hotel Veritas staff. I was traveling with a business colleague on a flight from the West Coast that landed in Boston at about 10 PM. We did not really eat on the plane, and, by the time we got to the hotel, many local restaurants were closed. Laurie, the conceirge on duty, not only came out of the hotel and ACROSS Mass Ave to greet and direct us (our cab driver didn't know where the hotel was), but she had food options ready. By the way, the cheese plate from Formaggio's was wonderful! I only mentioned in passing as I was checking in that I was craving hot chocolate (at almost 11PM), and Josh (the other person at the front desk) dashed out to see if he could track it down! Unbelievable! Then, in the morning, my hair dryer was broken--scary broken (think fire hazard!), and Curtis (the conceirge on duty in the morning) replaced it with a brand new one. Shortly after this, we were in a cab to a breakfast meeting, and I thought I had misplaced my wallet. I called the hotel, and Curtis picked up. At my request, he looked for my wallet in my room and then called me to say that he couldn't find it, despite best efforts. It turns out that I had my wallet with me--I had just put it in the wrong place in my briefcase! Anyway, Curtis didn't seem annoyed at all with my spaciness. Oh, and upon checkout, they printed my airline boarding pass for me.

Needless to say, I will stay here again the next time I need to be in Boston or Cambridge!

1 Thank smsung
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Veritas. We're very fortunate to have such a great group of concierges who take care of our guests. Thank you for mentioning the specific nice interactions that you had with Laurie, Josh, and Curtis. Also, we're pleased that you found your wallet!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Had to move bed to open closet door more than 45 degrees. Had to move bed back again to pull out stool to use desk. Only drawer storage in nightstands. Extraordinarily small closet. Had to store luggage in bathroom. Room on first floor; opening drapes allowed you to share the room with passersby. Best part was subway rumble starting every morning at 5:25.

The Charles Hotel or Inn at Harvard is more than worth the extra dollars.

2 Thank gracie080
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, October 24, 2010
We truly appreciate that you have shared your comments regarding your stay.

We are extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us because of the size and location of your room, but very pleased that you gave us the highest ranking in service, cleanliness, and location. We definitely wish that our rooms were larger, but this is something that we can't change. We absolutely recognize that are rooms are small - and that we're not the best hotel option for people that need a large room. We actively comment on our room size throughout our website in an attempt to set the right expectation for our guests.

After receiving so many comments about the size of some of our rooms, we have created a new catagory called "Petite Queen" which is priced lower than our other "Queen" rooms. Seven of our 31 rooms will fall within this new catagory.

Again, thank you. Your comments will help us in our quest to set the right expectaction for our potential guests - and to describe the difference in our rooms types. Some will love the Petite Queens because of the cost savings and others will prefer the Queen for the little bit of extra space.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 12, 2010

This small new hotel is a nice addition to Harvard Square, and might help some in keeping other nearby hotels from further raising their already outrageous rates. Friendly, small staff. Free non-alcoholic beverages in lobby, and a lounge where the front desk staff will serve drinks and snacks. No restaurant, though.

Free use of a decent fitness center across the street, but staff should have told me that the fitness center charges rental for the use of a towel. When I pointed this out, they agreed and said they had towels for the purpose at the front desk, but it was of course, too late.

My only huge objection was that my room was hardly bigger than the queen bed in it. No desk, no chair, no drawers, and no room for any of them. On checkout, I told them that if my wife had been with me, the room would not have worked at all. They said they have bigger queen rooms, and would so note in my computer record.

Assuming a room of better size, I would definitely stay here again for it's charm, its location, and the staff, that with the above oversight really tries to serve.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, October 14, 2010
We're so glad that you feel that Hotel Veritas is a nice addition to the Square and that you were pleased with the staff and amenities. I was so surprised to read about the towel charge at the gym. The hotel pays $15 to the gym each time that a guest uses their facilities and I never knew that there was an extra charge for the towels. We've contacted the gym and are getting this resolved immediately. We've always kept extra towels at the front desk for various guest needs, but I was completely unaware that some of the concierges knew about the charge. I'm sorry that you were inconvenienced.

Our rooms are definitely on the small size - and a few don't have desks or chairs. We try to avoid putting couples in those rooms, but occassionally it may happen.

All in all, we're pleased that the charm, location and staff are reasons enough for you to return. We look forward to your next stay at the hotel and appreciate your comments.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Really nice, great location. Pretty expensive, too. But, the biggest problem was the room. It was smaller than most rooms in European hotels. At first, we thought it was a joke. Our queen bed took up nearly all the space, the closet was almost nonexistent and there were no shelves or drawers to store our clothes. Luckily, we were only there 2 nights. But, if the room had been a normal size, this would have been a very different review.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dhall59
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Thank you for your high marks on the service, cleanliness, and location - and for your comments regarding the small room size. We're certainly disappointed that this affected your stay so significantly. On average, the rooms are about 200 square feet - some larger and some smaller. We try to assign the smaller rooms to single travelers staying for just one night, but clearly this didn't happen in your case - and I apologize.

Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed October 2, 2010

I spent two nights at the Hotel Veritas in September. I wanted a boutique hotel in a great location, and this hotel definitely meets those criteria. The hotel is located within walking distance of many restaurants, shops and the Harvard Square area. The staff was friendly and helpful, and they gave me some very good recommendations for dining options in the area. The Nespresso machine (plus complimentary water and juice) in the lobby was a nice amenity, as was the ability to use the yoga studio/fitness center across the street from the hotel. The room I stayed in was lovely, but it was on the small side (I was traveling alone, however, so it was not really a problem), and while I would have liked to have had a bathtub, there was only a shower (albeit a very nice one). Overall, though, my stay was wonderful, and I would both stay in the hotel again and recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, October 4, 2010
We are so glad that Hotel Veritas was just what you were looking for in Harvard Square. This is such a dynamic neighborhood and we love providing our personal recommendations to our guests. The Nespresso coffee, juice, and water are always so popular - and we're glad that you were able to fully enjoy them, as well as the Gym at Karma Yoga. Some of our rooms do have bathtubs, so please let us know next time you make your reservation of your preference.

Hope to see you again soon.

everywhere
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I was super excited when there was FINALLY a boutique hotel in Cambridge. For all the hot shot people who go there, it seemed that the supply began to respond to the demand. Like the food and stores, Cambridge is very provincial in the hospitality department. So it was exciting when they finished the brand new hotel, which I just recently checked out.
Sadly Hotel Veritas doesn't score high on design. It is cheesy, the furniture is very unhip. It's small, so I guess it qualifies as a boutique hotel, but as for style, it would say it's more like corporate-loungey. Not world class or something you would see in Europe. It's missing the touch.
The decals on the front glazing are hideous as are the lawn chairs parked outside. Everything out the decor bugs me. Even their website is horrible, which I overlooked. What a disappointment! The proprietors of these new businesses in Cambridge seriously need to check out the competition in other cities in the world. But I guess Cambridge doesn't rank high among them. Why should it? It's home to the brightest and very cosmopolitan minds.... Im at a loss....I still prefer the Charles Hotel. At least it doesnt try so hard to be stylish. I'd rather it be simple than over decorated.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank 4567QBC
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Well....we're certainly glad that you gave us a try. We appreciate that you did. Most of our guests have made very favorable comments about our interior design and website, but we acknowledge that we won't appeal to everyone.