“Lovely hotel in a fabulous location”
Review of Hotel Veritas

Hotel Veritas
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Cambridge
Newport News, Virginia
“Lovely hotel in a fabulous location”
Reviewed October 2, 2010

I spent two nights at the Hotel Veritas in September. I wanted a boutique hotel in a great location, and this hotel definitely meets those criteria. The hotel is located within walking distance of many restaurants, shops and the Harvard Square area. The staff was friendly and helpful, and they gave me some very good recommendations for dining options in the area. The Nespresso machine (plus complimentary water and juice) in the lobby was a nice amenity, as was the ability to use the yoga studio/fitness center across the street from the hotel. The room I stayed in was lovely, but it was on the small side (I was traveling alone, however, so it was not really a problem), and while I would have liked to have had a bathtub, there was only a shower (albeit a very nice one). Overall, though, my stay was wonderful, and I would both stay in the hotel again and recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, October 4, 2010
We are so glad that Hotel Veritas was just what you were looking for in Harvard Square. This is such a dynamic neighborhood and we love providing our personal recommendations to our guests. The Nespresso coffee, juice, and water are always so popular - and we're glad that you were able to fully enjoy them, as well as the Gym at Karma Yoga. Some of our rooms do have bathtubs, so please let us know next time you make your reservation of your preference.

Hope to see you again soon.

Benson Willis, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
everywhere
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I was super excited when there was FINALLY a boutique hotel in Cambridge. For all the hot shot people who go there, it seemed that the supply began to respond to the demand. Like the food and stores, Cambridge is very provincial in the hospitality department. So it was exciting when they finished the brand new hotel, which I just recently checked out.
Sadly Hotel Veritas doesn't score high on design. It is cheesy, the furniture is very unhip. It's small, so I guess it qualifies as a boutique hotel, but as for style, it would say it's more like corporate-loungey. Not world class or something you would see in Europe. It's missing the touch.
The decals on the front glazing are hideous as are the lawn chairs parked outside. Everything out the decor bugs me. Even their website is horrible, which I overlooked. What a disappointment! The proprietors of these new businesses in Cambridge seriously need to check out the competition in other cities in the world. But I guess Cambridge doesn't rank high among them. Why should it? It's home to the brightest and very cosmopolitan minds.... Im at a loss....I still prefer the Charles Hotel. At least it doesnt try so hard to be stylish. I'd rather it be simple than over decorated.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank 4567QBC
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Well....we're certainly glad that you gave us a try. We appreciate that you did. Most of our guests have made very favorable comments about our interior design and website, but we acknowledge that we won't appeal to everyone.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 27, 2010

On the plus side, super comfortable bed. On the other hand, shockingly small room with no drawers and no soap dish in the shower. This is an old house converted to boutique hotel and at least our room was tiny, tiny. Excellent espresso and tea complimentary, as well as complimentary juices and bottled water. Quiet for it's proximity to Harvard Square.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
Yikes...you were obviously in our smallest rooms. On average the rooms are about 200 square feet. Some a little smaller, some a little bigger. We're glad that at least you found the bed to be super comfortable and you enjoyed the complimentary beverages - as well as the quietness of your room.

We hope to see you again - and when making the reservation just mention that you were in a small room last time and that you prefer something larger.

Benson Willis
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed at the Veritas for 1 night as we had tickets to cee Cabaret at the American Repertory Theater/Oberon in Harvard Square. The hotel is gorgeous. The architecture is stunning. We stayed in room 403 which had a private balcony. The room size was perfect for 2. The room was very comfortable, and the color scheme was soothing. We were able to enjoy a cheese plate and glasses of wine in their lobby lounge before headiing out for dinner. The staff are great, helpful, welcoming, and accommodating. The overall experience was perfect! I would choose the Veritas over the other chain hotels in Cambridge for future stays.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Wow...we certainly appreciate your comments - and glad to know that Hotel Veritas was the right hotel for you. We can't wait to have you come back for another stay!

Scotland UK
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We stayed at this hotel sadly only for one night. The hotel is stunning, beautifully furnished and the hotel staff were more than happy to assist with any queries. It is situated about a 5 minute walk from Harvard square. Offers full use of very impresive gym facilities located across the road. A range of complimentary refreshments on offer. I would definitely recommend this hotel and if I return to Cambridge I will be staying here again!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
BensonWillis, General Manager at Hotel Veritas, responded to this review, September 23, 2010
Thank you!! We hope that your next visit is for longer than one night, as Cambridge has so much to offer. We, too, love the Gym at Karma Yoga. They are wonderful neighbors and have an outstanding facility.

phoenix, az
Reviewed September 21, 2010

...IT'S JUUSST RIGHT. What a thoroughly pleasant experience we had at this beautiful little boutique hotel! I was in for a business meeting in Boston and staying on for sightseeing around Cambridge and Boston with my teenage son. This hotel was actually convenient to everything...an easy cab or T ride into Boston, but also very close to the action in Harvard Square, but not so close as to have tons of foot traffic and noise outside. The hotel itself is new and absolutely sparkles. It is hip, but still very approachable and inviting. The rooms are small but designed to maximize every inch of space. My son and I were very comfortable...and the bed, pillows and linens were sumptous. We loved just melting into the bed at the end of each day. And yet, none of this describes the best part...the staff and service. This is what truly makes this hotel exceptional. They were friendly and helpful without being obtrusive. And they greeted us by name each morning and evening...asking how our day had been! It was like the best in home-away-from-home! Better, really. My only reluctance to rave about this little gem is that I don't want everyone to discover it and make it impossible to book into! Nevertheless, I give it my highest possible recommendation...and I have stayed in ALOT of hotels. This IS my Goldilocks hotel...just right. I will make it a point to stay here whenever I'm in the Boston area. AWESOME!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
You are very kind, Ms. Goldilocks! Thank you very much for your comments regarding the location, decor, and service. We couldn't be happier that you and your son stayed with us - and had a wonderful visit. We definitely look forward to your next stay at Hotel Veritas!

Paris, France
Reviewed September 21, 2010

At last! Cambridge has a smart boutique hotel convenient to Harvard Square. it's arrival is long overdue, given that the primary choices in this neighbourhood boil down to overpriced, tired, and uninspired properties. I would give the hotel a 7 out of 10. Aestetically, the property is beautiful. The re-architecting of what was once a multifamily dump is outstanding. The lobby/lounge space is chic and understated. The rooms, while on the small side, are decorated in sober, relaxing tones. The bedding is comfortable, and rooms have all the mod coms (flat screen TV, wireless and free Wifi access). The bathrooms are somewhat Spartan, and I would like to have seen some more amenities apart from the rather standard bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body cream.
There are two major issues are: Noise - for some reason the architects did not take into account the need for soundproofing. The windows are not double glazed, and the noise from Mass Avenue can be a real impediment to a decent night's sleep. Traffic rumbles down this major thoroughfare from early morning to late at night. Moreover, the Red Line of the undergroungd system passes just below the street, and the rumble of the passing trains is felt every 7 minutes or so. It should also be noted that this hotel is in the midst of Harvard's extended campus (a good thing) but those Harvard students can party! There is a fraternity house directly across from the hotel on Mass Avenue, and on the Saturday night we were there, there was quite the fiesta going on, adding to the overall din. I would add that the hotel was exceptionally accommodating when we raised the noise issue. We had reserved the suite, whose bedroom looks right on to Mass Ave, and we were offered a second bedroom adjacent to the suite which was somewhat less noisy as it looked out on to the side street.
The second point I would raise regards the staff. While very friendly and responsive, I didn't not find their demeanour to be up to the buzz the hotelseems to be after. There wasn't too much of an effort made to chit chat or engage clients, and the interaction seemed to be somewhat robotic. I was also quite surprised not to be helped loading my bags into the boot of my car once it was it brought around upon our departure. I was even ready to leave a tip!
In summary, this is a lovely place, but an additional investment needs to be made in sound-proofing the rooms. There is really no excuse for this oversight and it should be addressed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay at Hotel Veritas. We are certainly happy that your overall experience was positive, but definitely disappointed that we fell short in a few areas.

- Etro bath amenities: Because of the size of the bathrooms, we've made the decision to put only the basics in the rooms: shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and bath gel. We have many more complimentary amenities available upon request at the front desk (shoe shine kits, make up remover, shower caps, nail files, sewing kits, tooth brush, tooth paste, etc.) We can revisit this decision as we begin to hear more often of specific amenities that guests would like in the room.
- Noise: Certainly can be a problem, particularly on the Mass. Ave side of the building due to the traffic and the subway. As for frat houses, we aren't aware of any near the hotel. The Harvard Univesity's Oberon theater is directly across the street and patrons (and actors!) can sometimes a bit expressive. When we installed the new windows this year, we felt that we were purchasing an extremely high quality window. We will definitely look into this further.
- Service: This is the hardest for us to hear. We're pleased that you found the staff to be very friendly and responsive, but distressed that they appeared to be robotic or not skilled at engaging clients. This certainly isn't the type of service that we strive to provide - and I'm extremely sorry that we didn't succeed in connecting with you in the desired manner. As for not helping put the luggage into your car - this clearly inexcusable and we're discussed this with all of the concierges and managers.

I do appreciate your comments - and we will consider them all carefully as we continue to grow as a fine, small hotel.

Regards,