“Comfy bed, small room, access to Karma Yoga full fitness ctr”
Review of Hotel Veritas

Hotel Veritas
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here two nights while visiting Harvard. It was the cheapest rate I could find for a hotel with a higher end gym and reasonable business amenities. I got $260/night for a king bed room at the Harvard rate. This was much cheaper than the Sheraton at $400 and the Charles at $350. There is no room service here but they have pretty much everything else including valet parking, a business center that is well-equipped, and complimentary drinks and complimentary access to Karma Yoga fitness center across the street.

My room was on the third floor facing a wall. I asked for a quiet room and they did not disappoint. My room was very quiet I heard virtually nothing, even being across from the elevator. The bed was nicely defeathered when I arrived, upon request. The valet parking worked well I was happy with the service. There were two negative things about the room, one which I did not mind and the other which was annoying to me personally but perhaps not to most people. The first thing was the size of the room. My king bed was placed literally two feet away from the walls on either side. So there was little space for anything other than the bed and two night stands. However I was traveling alone and I like to prop myself up in bed on lots of fluffy pillows in the evening with my laptop and this room was perfect for that. The size of the room was not a problem for me. The other negative was that the carpet had a chemical odor that I found bothersome - I was told it was recently shampooed but it smelled more like new carpet than carpet shampoo. I opened the windows some on the second day and that helped a bit with the odor. I loved having complimentary bottled water on demand at this property. I also drank some of the complimentary juices and used the espresso machine in the lobby. The website said something about cheeses in the evening but I never saw them and no one mentioned any food being available in the evening. In the morning they have some strange "torta" things that look like greasy cookies to me. There was little food value there for breakfast. But there is a diner next door with good hours and the Karma Yoga has lots of stuff available in the cafe for breakfast. The Karma Yoga gym is a full fitness center it has a number of ellipticals (including 2 AMT machines one of which was out of order) and many stacked weights and free weights. Very few people were there when I showed up in the morning. KY does not provide towels so if you want a gym towel then take one from your room.

The wifi in my room worked well as did the TV. There was an access point above the TV likely explaining the great wifi reception (I was in room 302 in case you want to request a king room that is quiet with good wifi).

Overall this was a good stay. The only big drawbacks are the sizes of the rooms and the lack of room service food. Neither of these things were a problem for me. And you are in Harvard Sq with many food options just a stone's throw away. Hopefully the carpet smell is temporary and will not be a problem for future visitors.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you want that.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We love this hotel. Yes, the rooms are small, but the location is fantastic, the staff are very nice and helpful and the decor is gorgeous. Wifi is free, as is morning coffee, juice and water. We look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank natk4
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've stayed here half a dozen times while visiting my son and his family in Cambridge. The hotel is newly built in a retro style that fits the neighborhood. Rooms are small but very nicely furnished, comfortable, fairly luxuriously decorated, and very clean. The location is less than a ten-minute walk from Harvard Square with all its shops and restaurants. Staff is bright, young, knowledgeable, and well-trained. No request seems to be too much. Coffee, tea, juice and bottled water are available 24 hours in a refreshment area next to the front desk.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Remington Street are quieter than the ones facing Massachusetts Avenue.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was here only for one night but definitely recommend this hotel to anyone that is visiting the Boston/Cambridge area. It is close to many shops and restaurants and not too far from Harvard Square. You could easily take the "T" into Boston or spend your whole time in the Cambridge/Harvard area.
The women that checked me in could not have been nicer. The room was small but comfortable and well maintained. There were two bottles of water in the room offered at no charge! You can have a drink in the lobby until 11PM and they offer a nice charcuterie plate. Although they serve coffee downstairs you do have to go out for breakfast but a pleasant and good diner is less than a block away.
Checkout was easy and again the two men at the desk could not have been more helpful.
I will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The staff are friendly enough and the decor is nice, but what we cared most about was getting a good night's sleep. Impossible with walls and windows as thin as paper. We could hear the elevator shuttling people throughout the night, creaky door joints, and even someone shoveling snow at dawn. The shovel sounded like it was in our room, cracking ice and scraping pavement beside our pillows. Aesthetics fail to matter when you've been woken up for the 6th time in one night, and wish you were anywhere else, because even a crap hotel has better sound insulation than this "luxury" one.

Additionally, there was a stain on my pillowcase, we were charged extra for a balcony that was covered with snow and thus completely unusable, the door to the balcony had a broken latch, many of the TV channels were in Spanish or had no volume, there really is no restaurant to speak of, and the bar is extremely limited.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LK1_1_11
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was in Cambridge during the big snow storm The weather was bleak, but inside the Hotel Veritas everything was lovely. Laurie, a charming woman greeted us at the front desk . The decor is beautiful, comfortable and warm yet also contemporary and sophisticated. The location is great specially if you want to be close to Harvard. I look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WilburtonInn
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I used to live in Cambridge, and this is simply the best location possible for a small hotel. Easy walk to the square and all Harvard College facilities. The rooms are too small for a couple, unless they have no luggage (I was alone). There are no desk chairs, no room. A bolster sits under the desk and can be used as a seat but of course no back support. For office work, I went to a library.
Very nicely decorated with a chic/modern look. The lobby is really a nice sitting room with a gas fireplace, and a great place for a pre-dinner glass of wine. Staff are very good. Helpful, with a very positive attitude, without syrup.
At all costs don't accept first or second floor rooms facing Mass. Ave. Trucks rumble all night, and the MTA tube shakes the room every time a train passes. Had a miserable night's sleep but was relocated in the morning.
No restaurant or food (30 rooms) but dine in/takeout easily available across the street.
The Charles Hotel is the alternative - more expensive but full service, larger rooms. Depends what you are doing in business and if you are solo.

Room Tip: Don't be near Mass Ave.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business