“Nice flavors!”

The Elephant Walk
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Porter Square on the Red Line
Description: The Elephant Walk serves Award-Winning Cambodian and French cuisine. We also feature strong VEGETARIAN and GLUTEN-FREE menus! With so much depth and breadth to our menus, both exotic and familiar, we have something for just about everyone. Cambodian cooking is beautiful and delicious, but still rare in America. Less hot and sweet than Thai, richer and more complex than Vietnamese, the complex spice pastes that are the foundation of many Cambodian dishes reflect Cambodia’s Indian ancestry. Our Cambodian menu features both traditional Cambodian dishes and originals created by our Chef/Owners Longteine and Nadsa de Monteiro, a Cambodian mother-daughter team born and raised in Phnom Penh. Why French too? Cambodia was a French colony for a century, ending in the 1950s. Consequently, our chef-owners were French-educated and grew up speaking French and enjoying French cuisine too. In other words, our Cambodian-and-French theme is an authentic reflection of…us!
Exton, Pennsylvania
“Nice flavors!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Attended a party downstairs. They did a fantastic job for a 100+ person pary. Tried many appetizers, noodle salad, and a salmon dish for main entre and everythng was flavorful, fresh and had amazing presentation. Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2013

Rockville, MD
“enjoyable, wish we had time to go back”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We went to this restaurant because it was recommended by a staff member at our inn during a recent visit to Cambridge. We eat a lot of Asian food, but mostly Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, and Japanese--so we were eager to try the Cambodian-French cuisine here, and we were not disappointed. Some of the dishes seem like a cross between Viet and Thai. There are lots of options for vegetarians, vegans, and gluten-free.
We were there at Sunday brunch, but their brunch menu is not at all a typical brunch--you can get most of their lunch/dinner dishes, but they also offered crepes and other brunch-like options.
I started with one of their creative drinks, a blackberry spritzer. It was delicious and refreshing, but if I ever go back when it is cold outside I will try the hot drink with Godiva liqueur. I ordered the Nyoum Trasak with Soba Noodles (under Salads) and asked for it vegan, which just means they omit the chicken. The listed ingredients besides the noodles are English cucumber, red bell pepper, Asian basil, baby greens, mint, onion, and crushed peanuts, with chili-lime dressing--it says the dressing is spicy but I asked that they make it not too spicy, and it was perfect. The composition and taste of the salad was excellent.
My husband ordered the prix-fixe tasting menu so he could try different things (that we could share), but we were full well before the last item. I would not suggest ordering the tasting menu unless you are starving or have a few people to share (I'm not sure what their policy is on multiple people sharing it). My husband's choices for the tasting menu were Rouleaux for appetizer (crunchy spring rolls filled with pork, peanut, noodles, carrot, and onion, with a dipping sauce), Soupe Phnom Penh (traditional Khmer noodle soup with pork, bean sprouts, garlic, cilantro, scallion, salted cabbage--a generous serving, somewhat like Viet pho but with more interesting flavor, kind of salty/tangy), and Loc Lac (cubed beef tenderloin sautéed with garlic, sugar, and black pepper, with a dipping sauce--the meat was very tender).
The restaurant had a casual elegance--a very pleasant place to dine, and seems like it is good for groups. Service was fine.
If we are ever in the area again, we will definitely go back. However, it should be noted that the prices here are very expensive, especially compared with most Asian restaurants. On the other hand, it's probably not outrageous for a fine French restaurant, which may be what it considers itself.

• Visited October 2013
San Francisco, California
“A bit hit-or-miss”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was my second visit to Elephant Walk, and have to say it's a bit hit-or-miss. I was unimpressed the first time, but had a much better experience the second. We sat at the bar downstairs and had tasty gin fizz drinks, the rouleaux spring rolls (my favorite part of the meal!), the Mee Siem Au Poulet, and the Crevettes Amrita. Quite tasty, especially the curry sauce on the shrimp. However, it's a bit overpriced for the quality.

• Visited July 2013
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“The food was exceptional and the service was great!!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The food was exceptional especially the avocado and tuna salad. The wait staff was extremely accommodating. We arrived early for our reservation and were seated immediately. We ordered a special drink with pineapple and a Brazilian liquor it was delicious. The brown rice had edamame beans which added interesting dimension. I don't remember the name of the entre it was a seafood dish with curry surrounded in banana leaf definitely yummy. The desert was my least favorite but that must be because I was so thoroughly satiated from the spectacular food. I had eaten there several years ago when they were located in Somerville, they were good then even better now.

• Visited July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Some of the best food I've ever eaten”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I LOVED The Elephant Walk! The decour was very nice, good and prompt service, and great food. I got their new pre-fixed menues. I had the Roleaux, which was flavorful, warm, and cooked perfectly. Second course was the braised duck crepe....HEAVENLY! I love duck and it's hard to find restaurants that cook it well. But this crepe was very filling and very delicious. For my entree, I had the braised beef and again, cooked perfectly, melt in your mouth, and bold flavors.

I'm not sure why other reviewers had less than wonderful experiences but I would go back again, 100%!

• Visited June 2013