“The food was exceptional and the service was great!!”
Review of The Elephant Walk - CLOSED

The Elephant Walk
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Porter Square on the Red Line
Description: The Elephant Walk serves Award-Winning Cambodian and French cuisine. We also feature strong VEGETARIAN and GLUTEN-FREE menus! With so much depth and breadth to our menus, both exotic and familiar, we have something for just about everyone. Cambodian cooking is beautiful and delicious, but still rare in America. Less hot and sweet than Thai, richer and more complex than Vietnamese, the complex spice pastes that are the foundation of many Cambodian dishes reflect Cambodia’s Indian ancestry. Our Cambodian menu features both traditional Cambodian dishes and originals created by our Chef/Owners Longteine and Nadsa de Monteiro, a Cambodian mother-daughter team born and raised in Phnom Penh. Why French too? Cambodia was a French colony for a century, ending in the 1950s. Consequently, our chef-owners were French-educated and grew up speaking French and enjoying French cuisine too. In other words, our Cambodian-and-French theme is an authentic reflection of…us!
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“The food was exceptional and the service was great!!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The food was exceptional especially the avocado and tuna salad. The wait staff was extremely accommodating. We arrived early for our reservation and were seated immediately. We ordered a special drink with pineapple and a Brazilian liquor it was delicious. The brown rice had edamame beans which added interesting dimension. I don't remember the name of the entre it was a seafood dish with curry surrounded in banana leaf definitely yummy. The desert was my least favorite but that must be because I was so thoroughly satiated from the spectacular food. I had eaten there several years ago when they were located in Somerville, they were good then even better now.

• Visited July 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Some of the best food I've ever eaten”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I LOVED The Elephant Walk! The decour was very nice, good and prompt service, and great food. I got their new pre-fixed menues. I had the Roleaux, which was flavorful, warm, and cooked perfectly. Second course was the braised duck crepe....HEAVENLY! I love duck and it's hard to find restaurants that cook it well. But this crepe was very filling and very delicious. For my entree, I had the braised beef and again, cooked perfectly, melt in your mouth, and bold flavors.

I'm not sure why other reviewers had less than wonderful experiences but I would go back again, 100%!

• Visited June 2013
Oregon
“mediocre”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This place was disappointing in both the service and the food. We ordered some soup as an appetizer. We thought it would be a large bowl to share. Instead the waitress brought us just one small bowl that she put in the middle. It's kind of hard to share soup that way! Why didn't she tell us it wasn't a sharing type of thing? Our entree portions were small and not very flavorful. And it was way more expensive than it should have been. Go somewhere else, is my advice.

Visited May 2013
Boyds, Maryland
“Cambodian/French cuisine!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Couple of us friends from work dined at the Cambridge restaurant for lunch. We found it to be ok and not that great.
Overall verdict - average.

Pros:
1. Interior decor and ambiance was appealing and nice.
2. Ample sitting area.
3. Food was average or just above average. Have had better food elsewhere.

Cons:
1. Service is average and can definitely improve!

• Visited August 2012
McKinney, Texas, United States
“Okay experience”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This dinner had the potential to be very nice but didn't quite measure up.

The service was SLOW. As in, I was pretty sure our waitress forgot we sat down - possibly several times. Once we ordered, the food was prompt but our server must have had something else on her mind - it wasn't even that busy. As a former waitress, I find this completely unacceptable.

Our table neighbors were loud and crass. Not EW's fault, I suppose, but there were parts of the restaurant that were less populated; I would have preferred to be seated in one of those areas, rather than wedged in between two other tables at a two-top.

The ambiance is nice - I like the warm colors.

The food... well, since I didn't start with that, I guess it was fine. I mean, it was good, yes, but somehow it didn't WOW me. We started with the crispy spring rolls (Rouleaux) - very good. We also had the Avocat something or other... sort of a tuna tartar tower. While fairly good, it was too salty. I had the flounder filets in ginger sauce. Very tasty - they could have been crispier - but I would have liked more sauce (very delicious) and rice. My companion had a pork dish that she said was good but there was a large blob of something fatty left over at the end... yuck.

• Visited May 2013