“Just too wordy”

and up
Go Boston Card
Ranked #13 of 80 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: From towering Native American totem poles and large Maya sculptures to precious artifacts of the ancient world, the Peabody Museum is among the oldest archaeological and ethnographic museums in the world with one of the finest collections of human cultural history found anywhere.
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I remember this museum back a few decades. At that time, it was like most museums cases and cases of artifacts. You could browse and browse. Mind you there wasn't much in the way of descriptive material to shed light on the subjects. Well, that has changed in the Peabody and I think to its detriment. Much of the space is taken up with a few artifacts and a good deal of text. After reading some of the text, I just wandering paying little attention to anything - just too much overpowering text. If I wanted a book, I would read a book. A wanted a museum.

1  Thank Chris B

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've been to this museum on different occasion and with different people, but it seems like everyone can find something they are interested in. If they offer guided tours - it's really worth it. Kids love it too.

1  Thank HappyCat990
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My fiancee is an archeologist so of course we had to see the Peabody. The exhibits were very well done. Being from the West I have seen many Native American museums and artifacts, however the Peabody brought a fresh view. They had some very interesting Native American artifacts. The Mayan and South American display was a little disapointing since the exhibits were mainly reproductions, but that did not dampen the visit. Give yourself some time to see everything.

1  Thank Dave C
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This old New England institution has long been a fixture of the Harvard campus. It has great exhibits on the native peoples of the Americas. It's large enough to keep you occupied for several hours, but if you're determined you can also see it all in one visit — the perfect size for a museum, in my opinion.

Your ticket also gets you entrance to the Harvard Museum of Natural History. The two museums are connected on the inside, although their entrances are on opposite sides of the same building.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We visited this museum in October 2012 for the Fiesta Latina event and we had an amazing time! The staff and volunteers were super friendly; the food samples delicious; the especial activities an presentations were beautiful; the stands were very informative. I had never been there before and I cant wait to come back. I visited with 2 young children (3 and 5) and my 19 year old niece and we all had a blast. The kids keep on asking me when we are going back!