“A traditional place in Harvard, and yes - it is friendly”

A Friendly Inn at Harvard Square
A Friendly Inn at Harvard Square
Ranked #19 of 20 Cambridge B&B and Inns
India
“A traditional place in Harvard, and yes - it is friendly”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Excellent rooms - all well decorated with nick nacks and paintings. This is an old house converted into a B&B (though it has been running such only for the past about 20 years). Service is good, the rooms are very clean, Baths spotless white. Rooms have a tv, my room had an attached bath, but all rooms are different so make sure you specify what you want.

It is located about 5 minutes walk from Harvard yard (and 15 mins from Harvard train station) along Cambridge street.

The only downside is that the breakfast room is very small and only has sofas to sit - so you either have to tolerate other residents company while you balance your plastic plate on the lap and wonder where to keep your juice glass, or take it on the front porch and eat. Breakfast is not too great, but does not leave you hungry either.

I just wish the rooms were priced lower.

The wifi internet is good.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Pros: 1) For my purposes, the location is perfect. However, there aren't many food options nearby. 2) They offer enough variety for breakfast. 3) The rooms are comfortable and big enough. Comparable to the Irving House and cheaper. 4) The price includes a private bathroom, something you have to pay extra for at the Irving House. 5) Staff is friendly and helpful.

Cons: 1) The bedding looked worn down and dirty. 2) This wasn't a problem for me but I know two colleagues who had skin reactions to the detergent used for the sheets. 3) The wireless did not work all the time. 4) I originally made a reservation online and did not receive a confirmation email as I should have. So several days later, I booked another room, at which point I received two confirmation emails for both reservations. I called to cancel one of the rooms. Several days later, I received a phone call from the Inn asking why I had two rooms booked. I once again cancelled one of the rooms and got an email confirming the cancellation. On the day of my stay at the Inn, I received another phone call about why I had two rooms booked! I didn't get charged for the extra room, but their lack of follow through gives me the impression that the staff there is not careful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Donostia
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I stayed at this place on a business trip to a meeting at Harvard. The overall standard was adequate. The room wasn't great, but it was ok. The main let-down for me was the extremely poor level of service.

I forgot my camera when checking out of the hotel. After a couple of days, they emailed me to inform me about it. I emailed them back saying that I would like to arrange to have it sent to me.

I didn't receive a reply for over two months. In the meantime I was busy and didn't follow up. After the two months had passed, I followed up, asking them why they hadn't got back to me. After another 2 weeks had passed, they got back to me and told me that I would have to pay an administration fee and shipping to get my camera back to me! After having ignored my previous email for over two months.

Anyway, I reluctantly paid for the camera to be sent back. When it arrived, all of my photographs had been deleted and the user interface language changed to Portuguese. I can only imagine that someone had been using it for their own purposes.

If you stay here, make sure you triple check that you don't leave anything behind.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank spectei

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I stayed at the "A Friendly Inn at Harvard" during a visit to Cambridge to see the Harvard and MIT campuses.

The Good:
There weren't other lodging options (that I found) available near Harvard that I found to match what the "A Friendly Inn at Harvard" offered for its location and price. The rooms were very clean. Breakfast is included.

The Bad:
We paid $133 for a "family room" with a double bed and a small single bed. The room is very very tight and cramped, though not to the point of discomfort. There was also a real lack of electrical outlets, I believe only 2 total were in the entire room. It was a real problem to keep all of our electronics (which included cameras, camcorders, laptops, cellphones) plugged in for charging at the end of the day. This was a solid sign that the owners had not considered catering to all the possible needs of the guests.

Somehow, the centralized heating was not adjustable in-room and was shut off in the middle of the night, unnoticeable to me but an elder parent suffered the cold.

Possibly the most unexpected though, was the behavior (presumingly) Chinese owner of the establishment. The morning after our stay, we inquired about staying an additional night beyond our initial first night. The owner vaguely offered us a smaller room (because the one we stayed in for the night is booked), but FOR THE SAME PRICE, so had we stayed, we would've gotten an even smaller room for the same price as the bigger room we had the night before. Needless to say, we made use of the free parking for the day and explored Harvard on foot and returned to pick up our car and luggage and headed for another lodging option. As we left, the owner was annoyed at our departure, for not taking the smaller room. Instead of some dollars for renting the smaller room at a lower price, I guess he got no dollars for an empty room unrented.

I recommend the place if staying near the Harvard campus is important, but if you have use of a car and the location is not as important, I recommend a more outlying lodging option.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I came to Cambridge for business, and Harvard University booked the room for me. The hotel's location is excellent - minutes from Harvard Square and an easy walk to the subway (or you can take a bus).You won't find anything this close to Harvard Square with comparable rates. My third story room was very small, but it was perfectly clean and serviceable. The bathroom was alright, although the shower was tiny. I would have appreciated places to keep my toiletries. The free wireless is nice, but the signal was weak in my room.
The continental breakfast was simply awful. After my first morning at the Inn, I walked around the corner to Starbucks to get coffee and pastries. I also needed an iron and ironing board, and you have to get them from the front desk. I only needed these things for a few minutes, but the staff let the things sit in my room for days. Perhaps the most annoying event of my stay was the10:15 AM telephone call from the from the front desk on the day of my departure tersely reminding me that I was to checkout by 11:00 AM. It was unnecessary and, frankly, rather rude. That said, given the location and the price, I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
MA
Reviewed August 23, 2009

My husband and I had a third floor room and our teen boys had a larger room on the basement level. Everything was clean the staff was helpful. The location near Harvard University was quite convenient...just two blocks from Harvard Yard. Breakfast included cereals, instant oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, bagels, pastries, fresh fruit, coffee, tea and oj. We got the two rooms, breakfast, and with the free parking paid much less than the cost of one room at local hotel. The pool across the street was closed unfortunately the day we were there but it looked really nice - three pools actually - a deep diving pool, lap pool and shallower one all in a beautiful new public facility. We enjoyed our stay and would certainly return again. Only negative was getting a call at 9:45am reminding us that check out was at 11am....not sure why.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank PinkMa
Maine
Reviewed April 10, 2009

I nearly skipped this Inn because of some of the negative postings, and I am grateful that I ignored them. Everything depends on your expectations, and mine were met. Any limitations (see below) are to be expected given the reasonable prices ($127/night including breakfast with 5% discount if paid with cash or cheque). It was perfect for my needs when I recently had to go to Cambridge without my husband: be within a comfortable walking distance to Cambridge center, feel secure if I was walking back alone after dark, have pleasant lodgings where I wouldn't mind spending quite a bit of my time working in my room, an adequate breakfast, and minimal noise at night. It is a lovely old house and spotlessly clean. The room had a large bay window, furnishings had a comfortable lived-in feel, a decor of Victorian style touches at the windows and on the bed, a desk & two chairs, three lamps that gave excellent light for working and bed-time reading, and a compact but brightly lit bathroom with steaming hot water. A small nook in the hallway has a computer providing free internet access for guests. There is a parking lot out back where I left my car most of the week and there never seemed to be more than 4 cars at a time (you could probably fit 8). Breakfast included a large tray of assorted pastries (danish, almond croissants, bagels and bran muffins); a plate of fresh orange segments; hard boiled eggs still warm from the pan; bananas; bowl of apples; large containers of four different cereals including granola; instant oatmeal; a range of Bigelow Teas; coffee, orange juice, milk, half & half, cream cheese, and jellies. The Sackler museum is 1-1/2 blocks down the street, and most of what you want in Cambridge is probably 10 to 20 minutes away. Staff was very helpful on all counts. As for limitations, if the following are important to you, then pay more for another place or pay the same for a place further away from Cambridge center: the only common lounge area is the small kitchen with a few couches & chairs (although breakfast hours were stretched out enough that I rarely encountered a crowd); while at night it's a very quiet neighborhood and the Inn is tranquil, I'm a light sleeper used to the country, so the noise of the radiator steaming up in the night, the sound of occasional human voices in the street, guests walking in the room over mine, and late arrivals walking up the stairs did wake me up. There is always one person on duty (you sometimes have to dial "0", as they may be in another part of the Inn) and each was unfailingly courteous and extremely responsive, but if you want "warm and fuzzy" and a larger staff:guest ratio, this will not be for you. They do not have a business center but they have wireless (I brought my computer) and they printed out some documents that I sent them by email from my room. In short, this may be as perfect for you as it was for me but it all depends on what you are looking for.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo