“Never Again!”

A Friendly Inn at Harvard Square
Ranked #18 of 19 Cambridge B&B and Inns
“Never Again!”
Reviewed July 4, 2006

My husband and I are world travelers and we have stayed in many bed and breakfast accommodations. In fact, I feel so strongly about this place that this is my first review and unfortunately a not-too-complimentary one at that!
To get on with the evaluation:
-the room was eensy, lighting poor and we had one small three drawer end table for
storing all our clothes. (the "closets" were make shift holes carved out of the walls).
-the bathroom was exceedingly small and two tiles continued to come up onto our feet every day even though we told the management about the problem.
-the internet service is painfully slow. It took me and hour and a half to download my email messages and my husband's luck wasn't much better.
-the first morning (Sunday) we went for breakfast and there were no pastries or bread available. (this was at 9:30 AM). I spoke with one of the owners and she returned with stale pastries in hand pronouncing proudly, " I found something for you." The food items weren't edible and we henceforth ceased eating breakfast there.
-if you are carrying a heavy suitcase, be forewarned that there is noone to assist you as you manuever the winding, narrow second floor stair case.
On the positive side..
-the beds were made every day and we had clean towels as well.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed June 19, 2006

We just spent the night at The Friendly Inn and recommend it to others, however take the advice of most of the other reviews here and DO NOT expect a decent breakfast. It's too bad, because everything else about this inn is wonderful. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are immaculate and nicely decorated, it is in a safe and quiet neighborhood, it has it's own parking lot, it is relatively inexpensive, and it is very convienient to the heart of Cambridge.
Being aware of the breakfast reviews in advance, we sought out the neighborhood deli and found them to be top notch.
We have stayed in many B&B's in New England - bad and good - and we will probably come back to this one again when we visit the area.

To the management of the inn: take heed, it only takes a few dollars more to get fresh pastries, decaf coffee, and a prettier set-up in your breakfast room. It's the only thing we found lacking between rating you EXCELLENT and Above Average!

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed May 11, 2006

Almost everything others have posted about this Inn are true. But if you are fully prepared for a 2-star accommodation - and insist on a spotless room with private bath and good safe location - this is a fine choice. I stayed in room 301 - 2 narrow flights up from the main entrance - which was spacious and bright. Everything was very clean and fresh. Even though the furniture and decorations were all flea-market variety mix-and-match nothing felt old or musty. The inn is just a few short blocks from Harvard Yard, on a main road with very convenient free parking but beware - if you are planning to visit central Boston during your stay it will be difficult to do from here (plan on very high parking fees in town or lots of walking, buses AND trains just to get there). The rates compared to big-city hotels are excellent and if you must be frugal then this is your choice. However if you are looking for more of a comfort-oriented getaway - I'm not sure this is it. They miss very badly on the little things we enjoy on vacation - like a place to lay toiletries so they don't fall on the floor, soft pillows, a few hooks in the bathroom, a shower-head that can actually rinse you off, breakfast choices that are at least supermarket quality (what they serve here is more like what you get from a vending machine in the train station.) A final note - when I was here the clerks were very friendly and helpful and the inn, though hosting at least 1 family with 2 small children, was quiet.

• Stayed May 2006

Travelers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Reviewed March 31, 2006

This Inn came recommended and we read other internet reviews. Boy were we disappointed. The room was tiny, the decor was like a garage sale left-over, the sheets were rough, the bathroom tiny with only one little mirror. The shower head was old and terrible. The TV was super small, the breakfast was no more than 4 kinds of cold cereal and some stale pastries. The room was so hot we had to open all the windows and the noise from the street was hard to ignore. The blinds did not keep the sun out so we were awakened each morning by 5:00 a.m to noise and bright light. AND IT WAS EXPENSIVE!! WE COULD HAVE STAYED AT THE CAMBRIDGE HAMPTON INN FOR $50. A NIGHT CHEAPER. No one spoke English very well so we couldn't get help or directions from any of the staff. Overall, a big disappointment!!!

• Stayed March 2006
Reviewed July 12, 2005

I stayed here for a business trip when I had limited resources. Most hotels in Boston or Cambridge were over $200 and had huge parking fees. I got a room for $129 and had free parking (sometimes this was on the street with a permit they gave me). Its about a 5 minute walk to the Harvard T stop, which was great. Another plus was free wireless for internet access and a free computer to access the internet in the lobby, which was usually open. Standard, little below average but adequate continental breakfast. Coffee, tea and coffee available 24 hours. Average room with average sheets (a little rough) and towels. The main problem for me was that Cambridge street is a pretty noisy street and they gave me a little bit of a hard time when I wanted to change rooms, so I had to wear ear plugs when I slept - or keep the air conditioner on to down things out. Another strange thing was that there were 3 bottles of lotion and no shampoo! If on a budget, I would def. stay here again - its simply a great deal given the location if you are not fussy about how fancy a hotel is.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed July 2, 2005

For the price you can't beat the Friendly Inn. 2 blocks away from Harvard, 3-4 blocks away from Harvard Square. Safe neighborhood. I'm a small woman and felt no fear walking around at 11pm at night. The time I went it was incredibly hot and humid. Thankfully your room has AC. My room was very very tiny but that was fine. Bathroom was equally tiny with a shower but again, totally fine. TV was good with cable. Room was quiet even though it is close to a busy street. The breakfast was pretty basic. Cereal and pastries with coffee and tea but totally nice to have when you're feeling starved in the morning. Staff were very nice and helpful. I stayed there for 5 days for a business conference and was so happy to have WIFI and the ease of just walking to Harvard so close by. I'm not sure why the other person thought this place was dirty. They changed the towels and made the beds daily. I didn't feel dirty at all staying there.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank eadolfo
Washington DC
Reviewed December 15, 2004

The place was "clean" but somehow appeared filthy. I could not get comfortable so I left after one night, relieved to pay twice the price to feel sanitary.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business