“Was the best, now just average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #331 of 623 Restaurants in Cambridge
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Grafton, MA
“Was the best, now just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was our 1st trip back since the fire and I was really looking forward to it but, we left disappointed. We went on a kabob binge trying the Kubideh and Barg in both beef and chicken. The beef kubideh was the best but slightly over cooked. The beef barg was rather tasteless. The chicken kubideh had more an Indian flavor than Persian and the chicken barg was OK. We also order a Fattoush salad which was average at best. This used to be the best Persian restaurant in the Boston area but now Shiraz in Watertown holds that title.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GraftonTraveler24

New York City, New York
“Falafel, Hummus, and Kabobs - Oh my!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

A short drive from Harvard Square, six of us tried Kolbeh of Kabob after a sporting event on Parent Weekend. What a treat. Kolbeh lived up to the positive reviews we read. The hummus was to die for. The Falafel was crisp on the outside, not greasy, and beautifully fluffy and spiced on the inside. I had "Zereshk Polo" which had the most amazing rice with barberries (like pomegranate seeds), saffron and citrus, accompanied by a roasted tomato from heaven. (There was some table fighting over an extra tomato). Only thing we didnt like was an appetizer spread that was eggplant/olives. A plain family exterior belies the yummies inside.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank spekkala
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Pretty good but I wasn't terribly impressed. I left a little disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

Pretty good but I wasn't terribly impressed. I left a little disappointed.

2 Thank IntheAirOutThere
Santa Barbara
“A sweet little Iranian restaurant near Inman Square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

Long-shuttered after an electrical fire gutted the basement, Kolbeh--an old favorite of mine--recently reopened, and I am just beginning to work my way through the new menu (which is pretty much the same as the old menu). This is a great choice for thrifty vegan or vegetarian dining in mid-Cambridge, with plenty of options for carnivores, too. Two appetizers and a Morocco pizza with eggplant (Iranian pizza?! yes, it's good!) was more than enough to feed two hungry people for dinner, with plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day, too.

All the appetizers are vegetarian and many (the ones without yogurt) are vegan. I love the dolmeh (rice-stuffed grape leaves), which come with a chopped salad and rice. The hummus is great, too. With both of these, you get an enormous pita-like taftoon bread. I'm looking forward to trying the falafel and two dishes I have never seen on any restaurant menu: the tadig (crispy rice from the bottom of the pot) and, on a night when I don't have a date, the seer torshi (whole garlic aged in vinegar). The whole wheat crusted walnut pizza sounds yummy, too.

When I'm out of town, my husband makes a beeline to Kolbeh, where he indulges his inner caveman with the lamb kababs.

The only problem with Kolbeh is that it's been closed for so long, it has no customers, which makes for a quiet meal. This should improve when spring comes and the pretty garden in the back opens. Also, there is no liquor license. You may be able to bring your own, but I have never asked.