“Warm and exceptionally tasty”

Sofra Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #2 of 32 Bakeries in Cambridge
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Boston
“Warm and exceptionally tasty”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I love this tiny place (wish it were a bit bigger, hard to get a seat) off Mt. Auburn Street between Watertown and Harvard Squares. The aroma is intoxicating. I had poached eggs in a curry tomato sauce with a drizzle of intense cilantro elixir for brunch. Picking up a few containers of blended spices, admiring the beautiful fresh multicolored eggs for sale in the refrigerator section, narrowing down which of the beautiful and delicious pastries to pick up to go.... All the mediterranean-inspired and clearly lovingly made foods are extraordinary. This place is a dream. If only it were more comfortable to sit in! The sun comes scorching in the big windows, people hover holding their coffee mugs and food, hoping you will eat fast and vacate your seat. It is well worth the wait and slight discomfort, as the food is excessively comforting and sublime.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank travellerNewton

• Turkish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“A MUST location if you love Middle Eastern Food at a great Price!”
Reviewed December 10, 2011

After driving once past by it, I decided to stop and look at this new venture that had just opened.

I simply loved it. They have amazing dishes from the middle eastern cuisine that are both very good but also very cheap. This place is owned by the same people of Oleana, and I have to admit that they did a great job.

Moreover in the summer the outdoor patio is a great place to enjoy lunch and chill under the summer breeze. It is a "pit stop" area for many Boston cyclists. I highly recommend the Spinach Falafel.

Definitely worth the visit!

Coventry, Connecticut
“Delicious Deserts and Fine Coffee”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

My family and I made it a point to stop by this Cafe/Restaurant, after our earlier long walk at the Cementery nearby. It was a cool Sunday, and we ordered some coffee, and Turkish coffees, and donuts, baklava. The cafe is small and close seating is common, there is a long table outside with a few chairs on a small patio. The food variety is so extensive, it has many
dishes from the Middle East! We will have to come back in another time to really check out the unusual menu! The short time we had was not enough to try most of the menu!
Enjoyed the hot coffee's and desert immensely.

New England
“Topik, fantastic!”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I have been to Sofra Bakery several times with my friend for lunch and always love it. I try to order something different each time. This visit, I had the topik which was delectable, unexpected (for me anyway, since I was not heretofore familiar with topik!) - loved the apricots! My girlfriend had the chicken shawarma........we ended up sharing each dish 50/50 so that we could enjoy each extremely flavorful, multi-dimensional dish, each with a complex flavor profile. We both agreed that the curry vegetable soup of the day in contrast, was rather one note. The two lasting issues are a)not enough parking and b)not enough seating. We parked the car illegally (shhhh!) and got our food to go, taking it home to enjoy.

Salem, Massachusetts
“Heavenly food that swirls up into your heart”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Divine again, please order whatever the soup of the day is. Even if you have no clue or interest. I ordered parsnip and leek soup which sounds pretty grim. God, it was heavenly. Almost like a light mousse that floated out of the bowl and swirled into your heart. Their pita bread is nothing like its stale, skinny American cousin. Sofra's pita bread is dense and flaky, like a sour dough muffin. I believe that most of the food is prepared from fresh, organic produce at their own Sienna farm. So it just feels infused with love from concept, to growing to cooking.

Also consider picking up a copy of owner Ana Sortun's cookbook "Spice" which is sold at Sofra and on Amazon. It is really good reading and explains the cultural uses of spice in the middle east, or eastern mediterranean, as she prefers to define her cuisine. We have a copy and have given out copies of her cookbooks as gifts. It makes a good cultural read, even if you prefer to leave the cooking to others; like me.

Great people watching as always in Cambridge. One of these days I am going to have to suck it up and go to their expensive restaurant, Oleana, but I just can't tear myself away from this little hideaway.

One caution, if you have a nut allergy; stay the heck out of there. There are crushed nuts and seeds on everything and you would probably have an attack just walking in the front door. T

2 Thank leafpeeper98