“A nice place to stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Attleboro, Massachusetts
“A nice place to stay”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I found Irving House a nice place to stay. It was easy to get to, a quick walk to Harvard Square, comfortable and friendly. Breakfast was okay. Parking is included but is very tight. I think this was a great value as compared to area hotels.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so if you have a lot of bags or can't do stairs you should request a low...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
RSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! The lack of an elevator is a situation that affects us all. We wish we could change it, but so far the law and our physical structure do not find common ground. When possible, we do have staff to carry luggage, and we do honor requests for lower floor (first (ground) or second floor rooms.

We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Cambridge, MA~

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
Weston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I had to stay in town to sell at a bazaar and wanted to avoid driving home in the Boston suburbs in a snow storm so I booked at Irving House a couple of blocks from the bazaar venue. The room on the top (4th) floor was very comfortable, and I got the sleep I needed to be alert at the bazaar for the second day. When I went down for breakfast the next morning I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of options for assembling a good and nutritious breakfast. I had previously only been accustomed to the much simpler offerings in hostals in Latin America when I travel down there, but at Irving House I could customize my breakfast as I might do at home. There was even a jar of ajvar (a red pepper condiment) to have with my hard boiled egg and a delicious whole grain bread to make my toast. I left the breakfast room as content as anyone could be and well-fortified for my day of selling at the bazaar. I would enthusiastically recommend Irving House for the breakfast alone.

Green Features: Irving House has adopted green practices, like composting from breakfast leavings and encouraging people who stay for more than one day to use towels longer than a day.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We love to hear where we are doing well in serving our guests. I will share this with my staff, especially the breakfast crew---
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed here alone for one night and it was very cozy, quiet, and clean. I'm a young female so it was important that I stayed somewhere safe, and this inn is very safe and in a great location. I also enjoyed the morning breakfast. But be aware that it is about a 10 minute walk to the Harvard mbta station.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Alicia G
Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate hearing where we are doing well. I will share this with my staff, especially the breakfast crew. I hope your sales went well at the fair!
Middlebury, Vermont, USA
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Our stay was over a single night, and we needed a comfortable place that was close to family living in the area - this was perfect. Friendly, clean, and conveniently located, we really enjoyed our stay.

There is off-street parking; if you have a wide vehicle, it's going to be a bit tense, but they do a great job of making sure as many people have room to park as possible - a bonus in this neighborhood where permits are required on the streets. We left our car there and just walked to the Porter Square area, which I think most people would find to be a bit of a hike but it felt good to not need a bus or taxi.

We stayed in a self-contained unit on the fourth floor. Other rooms had shared bathrooms and what we saw seemed really clean and accessible. While one must take the stairs up to other floors, we really liked the added quiet and didn't mind the steps at all; our host at check-in actually offered to place us on a lower floor but we said we were fine where we were - she was very kind and I appreciated the offer, though! Because the Inn is off of the main road, the noise level was SO much better than other nearby places we've stayed at that were directly on Cambridge Street.

Our room was fine for our needs - small but there was a desk and a very interesting plush chair to sit in (style-wise!) and the sink/toilet were in a separate compartment than the shower. Everything worked fine - internet signal (free) was strong and fast. (If needed, there is a common computer on the first floor in the sitting room.) I thought the bed was too hard for my own comfort, the only thing I didn't really find great about the accommodations.

The breakfast was really nice - quiche and other items, good coffee, etc. - all in all, we'd definitely stay there again, and appreciated the very friendly staff, excellent location, and well-tended property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GahuGrrl
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you took the time to comment on it so specifically! It is hard to accommodate all preferences for mattresses. I am sorry that you found the bed too hard.

We are pleased that in every other way you seem to have enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again!
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed just one night there and I LOVE IT!
Very friendly and helpful staff, very nice breakfast with variety choices of food.
I love their interior setting, so English and cozy. I feel relax after a whole day tour in Harvard.

• Stayed December 2012
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! We are very pleased you enjoyed our hospitality. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Cambridge!
Watchung, New Jersey
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My daughter and I stayed there this weekend while in town to visit colleges. We had nothing but positive things to say about this B&B.

Room was very cute, full and twin sized beds. Bathroom was right down the hall, and very clean. The whole place was clean and well maintained. Reception was awesome. The young lady was personable and very helpful. Parking is very close, I mean VERY close, but hey, it's off the street, and free. I thought the rate was fair, especially considering other places to stay in the area. Irving House is easy to get to, and convenient to pretty much everything. I'm sure we'll be back, but definitely when the weather is warmer :)

Room Tip: Choose a room with private bathroom if that's a concern
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lyons54
RSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope you found Cambridge (Our Fair City!) to be worth visiting again.
Yes, parking is tight, but if everyone is co-operative, it works.

Thank you for taking the time to review--every little bit helps!
Baton Rouge
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Charming rooms, squeaky-clean bathrooms, delicious (and plentiful) food, access to tea and (good) coffee, and right in the heart of perfect Cambridge! There's nothing lacking here--except an elevator (if you're lugging heavy suitcases ask to stay on lower floors, I guess), and the wiring is probably a bit funky (power blew out), but this place is an adorable delight. And Green, too!

Green Features: I really appreciated the Hotel's commitment to the environment!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SubjectTravel
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay! We are so pleased you appreciate what we are doing here. I completely agree that the house would be much improved for guest (and our staff!) if we had an elevator. Alas, space and the laws do not find a good confluence here. In several go rounds of inquiry, I have come to the conclusion that it is just not possible.
We hope to see you again on a return visit to Our Fair City!