Irving House at Harvard
$158
$134
Official Site
  • Restaurant
All reviewsno elevatorprivate bathquichefourth floorfamily suiteboarding houseoff street parkingshared bathroomfull bathyogurtbreakfast room issingle roomsmall roompleasant place to stayan older buildingshort walkbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Generally, the pictures online misrepresent the property. The carpets are old and worn throughout and as a whole the Irving House looks very dated. The woman at reception was efficient but definitely not polite. The breakfast is like a nice continental breakfast and far below what you would expect from a bed and breakfast. Don’t go here if you like things like scrambled eggs and pancakes. Expect hard boiled eggs, cold mini quiches, yogurt and breads.
I booked a family room based on the photo the Irving House had posted on their webpage. The family room pictured on the website look reasonably spacious with some privacy for adults in a queen bed with bunk beds for kids around the corner. The family room I got appeared smaller with the bunk beds directly facing the queen. When I asked about the discrepancy between the pictures online and my room, I was told the room pictured on the web is on the 4th floor. The family room that I had on the 2nd floor was completely different.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask what floor your room is on or you could end up walking up 4 flights of stairs just to get to your room. Avoid first floor rooms also, very loud.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kzatrini
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Please be assured that the photographs were all taken in rooms in our property, and many look better now than they did when the photos were taken.
While it is true that we do not offer a cooked-to-order breakfast, our menu is listed on our web site so there should be no surprises. The quiches, popovers and other savory baked goods are baked on the premises and are kept warm at the buffet.
We are sorry we did not meet your expectations. We hope you otherwise enjoyed your visit to Cambridge.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had a room with two beds and shared bath. I was worried about shared bath in the beginning.But the shared bath turned out to be convenient and clean! The housekeepers are super nice and diligent. Moreover, in the middle of my stay, I had to switch to a lower floor. The front desk was extremely considerate and helpful! I am so grateful!!

Pros:
Lovely neighborhood! Very close to the T at Harvard Square.
Staff is very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast and snack bar are very satisfying!
They have free postcards!

Cons:
You don't control your own room temperature, but you could ask the front desk for help.
There is no elevator

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful review of your stay with us. Our staff works hard to keep the house in excellent order, and they appreciate knowing they are doing a good job. I will share your report with them.
The conditions of the heating and cooling systems and the lack of elevator are correct, and for now, will not change. We hope travelers are, for the most part, comfortable with this situation. The vast majority of people who stay with us are please to return.

We hope to see you again some time too!

Rachael, Owner

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The place has a great charm and character. It`s location is good, near Harvard University and the staff is very nice and helpful. However, it is not appropriate for people with mobility problems or if you are not strong enough to carry your bags upstairs. When I made my reservation I told them in advance that I was traveling with my mother and that she had mobility problems, but they put us on the 4th floor anyway, which made my mother's life very difficult during the stay. The rooms are OK, a little small, but have the basic amenities. Breakfast is also OK, but pretty basic. In fact, I have stayed at nearby hotels for a similar rate, like the Inn at Harvard, which have larger and more comfortable rooms, better breakfast and an elevator!! For that reason, despite is New England charm, my conclusion is that the hotel is a little overpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower floors.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Montse450
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I have brought your review to the attention of my front desk staff, as we do try to assign rooms on lower floors to those who cannot navigate the stairs easily. While this is not always possible, it is a high priority. Some of the rooms on the fourth floor, while quieter, are also a bit smaller than rooms on the lower floors, so that would have been another advantage of a better room assignment for your stay.
We also aim to keep our rates very competitive with the Harvard Square market, and include breakfast, parking and wifi to increase the value we offer. In general, our rates are well below those of the Inn at Harvard, because we know that the Inn offers just the kind of options you note, and that we cannot offer due to age and space constraints.
We hope you enjoyed your visit to Cambridge and in some ways, your stay with us.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is a quiet, friendly, clean, very well-located place to stay in Cambridge. What is more, they earned my great gratitude when I realized, upon returning to California, that I had left my prescription sunglasses at their hotel. They found them and mailed them back to me the very next day!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! The day I had to send your glasses back was packed with busy things, but getting your package out gave me an excuse to greet the day....We hope to see you again some time when your travels bring you back to Cambridge!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at the Irving House on 3/16/13 overnight. My son & I attended a St.Patrick's Celtic Sojourn show in Sanders Theatre (Memorial Hall), in Harvard Yard.
Our room was quite roomy, very clean and neat. It contained a double bed (for my son), and a twin bed that pulled out. It was quite comfortable, with built in shelves for anything..glasses, etc.
The Irving is a short block & 1/2 from the Sanders Theatre, It is convenient to Harvard Square and all the shops and restaurants in the area. We felt very comfortable, safe and enjoyed the stay very much. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Eleanor, thank you for the very kind feedback. It's wonderful to hear that you and your son enjoyed your visit so much. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Our Fair City!

Rachael, Owner