“Loved my stay”

Irving House at Harvard
Ranked #4 of 20 Cambridge B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 26, 2013

It was a perfect way to be introduced to Boston and Cambridge. Away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Boston, but within reach of the sites by long walk (or easy train). Staying at Irving House wasn't too disimilar to visiting my own family house. I immediately felt comfortable.

This review is quite late. I'm really catching up on my trip advisor reviews, so I'll be honest by stating that my review is of a stay back in July 2009. Nevertheless, I have fond memories of the city and the stay and give full stars without hesitation.

I really want to thank Viviane and all the staff for the wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
RachaelSolem, Owner at Irving House at Harvard, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Glenn,

Thank you so much for your very kind review, regardless of when you actually came by. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We always want our guests to feel right at home, so I'm glad we did just that with you. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Cambridge!

There are newer reviews for Irving House at Harvard

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was in Cambridge for a meeting at Harvard and our colleagues reserved us rooms for 2 nights at the Irving house. This is not a hotel and if you want all the conveniences of a hotel, then this is not your place.
I stayed in a nice room with a nice double bed and small bathroom on the 4th floor (no elevator). It was cosy and really felt like I was staying with an Aunt or family member. The room had a TV, radio and telephone.
On the first night I had a problem because the bed in my room was too soft. The next morning I mentioned this to the front desk staff and they gave me a different room. The bed in the new room was much firmer and comfortable for me.
The Irving house has a nice breakfast including mini quiches, toast, veggies, yogurt and cereal. They also mentioned when we checked in that they offer sweets and coffee/tea until 10pm but I didn't try that.
The location of Irving house was great. We could walk to our meetings at Harvard and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Room Tip: I personally liked the rooms on the 4th floor because it was quiet and warm up there. If you have a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

It's so nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! "It was cosy and really felt like I was staying with an Aunt or family member." That's exactly what we want to hear. Next time you are in Cambridge, I hope you visit with us again.

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

It's more than an ordinary B&B, less than a regular hotel, and comfortable enough for a week's stay. Watch out if you have heavy luggage or disabilities, though, and request a first-floor room. Rooms are comfortable and ours was handicapped-accessible (though we didn't ask for it) and large. The bed was extremely comfy and I slept very well.

The breakfast room is on the lower level, and the included breakfast is as substantial as you like. Multiple kinds of cereals, yogurt, granola, and toppings; fresh bagels with multiple toppings: mini-quiche, toast, scones, juices, beverages - and much nicer than at most establishments with included breakfasts, a real B&B breakfast. Cookies and other treats, plus all kinds of tea, available all day.

The entire building is WiFi equipped and it works properly. The sitting area is full of GOOD magazines, and the house (including rooms) is full of books that aren't just decorative.

You're practically in Harvard Yard, only a few minutes from Harvard Square, and right around the corner from groceries, a great pharmacy, and really decent local pizza. Cabs know where it is, and the desk will call them for you. The desk will do almost anything for you, including helping Windows users handle the lobby Macs.

Enjoyed my multiple-day stay thoroughly and even made new friends sitting around in the breakfast room. I'd stay again anytime.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was the fourth time we'd stayed at Irving House and each time it feels more and more like staying with a dear friend. The staff are long standing which is always a good sign, they are very friendly and accommodating. We stayed alongside four other friends (they were return visitors too).

There is nothing fancy about Irving House, just good solid home comforts. Breakfasts are included in the price and are self-service. Tea/coffee/cake/pastries/cookies and fresh fruit are available on a 'help-yourself' basis from noon - 10pm.

Nice lounge area with plenty of reading material, in fact books are available to 'take away' in all the bedrooms. The rooms/building are kept clean and warm even on the coldest nights so it is extremely comfortable.

Within walking distance of Harvard Yard/Harvard Square/T stop so it is very well located. We will be returning!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JellyBean22

"Each time it feels more and more like staying with a dear friend." That makes us so happy to hear! It's terrific to know that our guests feel so at home with us. We appreciate your taking the time to leave us such a wonderful review. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Cambridge!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here on New Years Eve this year and there is really not much you can complain about. The rooms are pretty small but that is expected, and if you are just using it for a place to sleep and have a bathroom then there's nothing wrong.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were super clean and very nice. Noise level was low even for New Years. The breakfast in the morning had a good variety (pretty crowded though) but everything was fresh. Wasn't the best I've ever had, but a good option none the less.

The location is great. We could walk through the beautiful campus of Harvard and into Harvard square in about 8 minutes. We went to a concert at the Agganis Arena on Commonwealth in the city and the cab was 12 or 13 bucks.

For the price and location. You really can't go wrong here!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tyler_M10
Reviewed January 2, 2013

we stayed at this b&b during our visit to boston, and it was a great alternative to the city's overpriced hotels. the city is easily reachable with the T. we had a cozy, small room that was nicely decorated and very clean. private bath, also very clean. breakfast is very nice and offers a lot of choices. great value for money, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aleachi

We really appreciate your taking the time to leave us such a great review. It's wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed it here. If you ever find yourself needing a cozy room in Boston or Cambridge, I hope you remember us!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

As a long time Boston area resident, I haven't had much need for hotel stays in the area. However, having recently moved, I was thrilled to stay at the Irving House for New Years Eve.

For about the price it would cost to stay at a low level chain hotel in an inconvenient location, my girlfriend and I had a beautiful private room and bath, terrific service from the staff and easy access to the city and surrounding areas.

Supporting local economies and businesses is important to me, so to find an affordable and high quality option in the city that is locally owned and operated was a treat. Highly recommend this for all Boston visitors.

Room Tip: For a few dollars more, you can get a private bathroom...well worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple