“Boiled Virginia Peanuts”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Binney St.
Transit: Hungry Mother is a 10 minute walk from the Kendall-MIT redline stop. Walk through Marriott hotel, turn left on Broadway, cross railroad tracks, bear right on Hampshire St., turn right on Cardinal Medeiros Ave. The restaurant is at the end of the block on the left.
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I visited the Hungry Mother as part of a Business Trip to MIT. It was a little hard to find ( but that might just have been me!)
The restaurant is small so I would recommend that you book so you are not disappointed as people where been turned away.
We started with the Boiled peanuts which i still think about from time to time! They are like a American version of edamame beans with salt, very nice indeed. I then moved on so some pork belly with collared greens and grits which was delicious, I wish grits was on menus in the UK.
If I am ever in Boston again this will be on my "must go " list.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Had dinner here last night! What a treat!

The atmosphere is really nice and the staff extremely well prepared, and polite.

Wine selection is not too vast but really nice with some real connoisseur pics.

We had boiled nuts, beef tongue, fried oysters, and gnocchi plus the delicious cornbread which was spectacular! Unfortunately no fried tomatoes last night...

As a main we got trout, chicken and pork which where all superbly cooked and the chicken was one of the most tender meats I have ever tried!

Desert was very delicate with a triumph of flavors in the mouth.

Parking is easy across the street in the cinema garage which is validated by the restaurant.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Some of the best southern food I've had and I grew up in the south. Its a new approach for sure and it's wonderful. We tried the corn bread, kilt salad, scallops, pork, spice cake and loved every bite. Drinks where exceptionally good as well. Not only was the food wonderful, I really liked the vibe of the place. It was a really busy night but wait staff was flawless and conversation was easily audible.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The bartender made what my husband described as the 'best Manhattan I've ever had'. Great way to start an evening! The cornbread was delicious, served as a single round with delicious butter. Our group of 3 had no trouble finishing the larger order. My pork shoulder with bratwurst, greens and grits was a great symphony of taste. The scallops and oysters were delicious too. We shared the 'kilt' salad with baby kale and other wonderful fresh ingredients. The menu is short but all choices were wonderful. The noise level was low enough to allow for conversation without yelling. The menu changes frequently but it's all tasty.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

What a great meal. Great food combinations, creative creations, and local ingredients.

Try the local cider from Cambridge -- Delicious.

Not really near anything (except MIT,) but worth the trip.