“Great”

Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Binney St.
Transit: Hungry Mother is a 10 minute walk from the Kendall-MIT redline stop. Walk through Marriott hotel, turn left on Broadway, cross railroad tracks, bear right on Hampshire St., turn right on Cardinal Medeiros Ave. The restaurant is at the end of the block on the left.
Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Great”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Booked at opentable where it was tipped as a hot spot. And must say it lived up to it's expectations. Very Nice, out of the usual, dishes. Small restaurant where you almost get the feeling of eating at someone's house...

Visited June 2013
1 Thank TravelPim

• Korean first
massachusetts
“Excellent Dining Experience”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Jim walked by the Hungry Mother at 5:00 this afternoon and there was a line waiting for it to open. That was recommendation enough for us. Imagine our surprise when we opened Trip Advisor and found it to be rated one of the best in Cambridge. We booked a table and walked to dinner at 9:00.

The wait staff was excellent and special thanks to Heather who welcomed us to Cambridge. Kate and I had the catfish and clams, Jim had the sea trout. All our fish was excellent. The sauces were flavorful and light. We had the lettuce and beet salad before hand - it is huge and we shared it. We did order cornbread which was perfect for sopping up the sauces. We had pie and semi fredo for dessert and they were outstanding. They have at least 10 Amaro on the menu.

All in all, dinner was an enjoyable and delicious end to a stressful moving day!

Visited August 2013
San Jose, California, United States
“Upscale Take on Southern Cooking”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

It took nearly 3 years, but I have finally made my way back to Cambridge and to Hungry Mother. If anything, I think the food on this visit was even better than my last.

Since I was dining with colleagues this time, it allowed sampling of more dishes. I started with the chilled corn soup topped with cornbread croutons, spicy coppa and basil oil. The soup, rich and silky smooth, was bursting with sweet corn flavor; the coolness a perfect antidote to 95+ degree days.

For the table, we got an order of the skillet cornbread with sorghum butter. With a beautiful crust, a tender interior and a mildly sweet corn flavor, this cornbread lasted all of 30 seconds between the 3 of us. In addition, we ordered the fried chicken small plate. The two drumsticks and two breast pieces were tossed in a Tabasco honey and served with housemade sweet and spicy pickles. I've eaten a lot of fried chicken, but this easily places in the top 3 all-time. Crunchy and juicy, the spicy sweetness providing a wonderful counterpoint. As with the cornbread, this dish didn't last long.

On to the main course, which for me consisted of the smoked Texas-style Wagyu tri-tip, served alongside snap peas and roasted potatoes. The beef was imbued with a deep smokiness that really played well against the unctuous Wagyu fat. The sides were both good, but did not distract from the star of the plate. One of my colleagues ordered the cheese grits with Tasso ham, the only holdover dish from when I ate here in 2010, for the table to share. The creamy corn porridge is capped with a healthy dose of sharp Cheddar and nicely crisped Tasso ham. These were even better than I remember them and could have eaten an order myself.

Although I was nearing capacity, I had to indulge in dessert, opting for the blueberry brown Betty with cinnamon chantilly cream. Served piping hot, the berries were bursting with the kind of flavor you only get from in-season fruit. The crumbly topping and cream were excellent companions to the sweet, juicy berries below.

With two outstanding meals, enjoyed years apart, I think it's safe to say that Hungry Mother consistently delivers creative, top notch food. The understated decor lends a relaxed ambiance and friendly, attentive service help round out a truly wonderful dining experience.

• Visited July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Try the bourbon and sweet tea. Cool Space.”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Fun experience. The restaurant feels like a house, and is decorated with southern flare. Everyone enjoyed their food. The best part of my meal was the cocktail – the #4 Bourbon and Sweet Tea. The Fried Chicken was okay. The Cocktail won the show.

• Visited May 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
“It is worth every cent... and you pay a lot!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Incredible meal, unique cusine and nice staff.. Although in the beginning they were not that friendly, the overall experience is great!! If u can afford a over 60 USD meal, don't miss it!!

• Visited June 2013