“Great waitstaff, tasty food, really rude on the phone”
Review of Hungry Mother - CLOSED

Hungry Mother
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Binney St.
Transit: Hungry Mother is a 10 minute walk from the Kendall-MIT redline stop. Walk through Marriott hotel, turn left on Broadway, cross railroad tracks, bear right on Hampshire St., turn right on Cardinal Medeiros Ave. The restaurant is at the end of the block on the left.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was excited to try this restaurant because I had heard great things. I had also heard that if you go in the early evening it's a kid friendly place, so my husband and I went with another couple and each of our babies (7-month-old and 14-month-old) on a Sunday night at 5pm. The waitstaff were really nice and the food was excellent. In the early evening they are also very good at dealing with families as they have a separate room where they placed us and two other parties with kids so we don't distrub others.
I would have given this place a higher rating, but the man I spoke to (John) who called to confirm the reservation two hours before our meal time was shockingly rude and left a bad taste in my mouth. Unfortunately, due to this one staff member I would be hesitant to recommend this restaurant, as it makes me question employee training. Before I made the reservation I had called to confirm that bringing little ones was okay here and received an, "Absolutely" response. There is an 'Open Table' link to make reservations on the website and I made the reservation for four, noting on the reservation site that there would also be two babies, and gave their ages. When John called a couple hours before the reservation he was amazingly rude, saying he didn't know if they could accommodate us because the reservation I made was for four but there were actually two kids also coming. I told him that there were four adults coming, but that I noted on the reservation that I had made two weeks before that there would be two babies. Very surprisingly, he said, "We can't read the notes section for all our reservations." Really? Wow. He said he would have to call me back to see what they could do, expressed surprise that a 14-month-old couldn't just sit in a car seat at the table during dinner, and had such a terrible attitude! Long story short, they were easily able to accommodate us with a high chair and booster seat, and there were still tables available during the whole time we were at the restaurant.
Again, fantastic food and a lovely waitress, but for the price we paid for dinner, I would be hesitant to have to deal with such a rude and poorly trained staff member as the man who was confirming reservations.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had heard of this restaurant and was able to get the last table available when they opened on a Friday night before a friend and I went to a movie across the street (they are able to get their patrons discount tickets but I did not know this ahead of time). The menu is very eclectic and we both decided to have three appetizers each instead of a main dish so that we could taste a variety of their offerings (and the waitperson said that the restaurant enjoys having the customers experience a variety of offerings). Food was great - had grits for the first time in 40 years- beer and wine options are very interesting. We will definitely go back.

1  Thank Falafel9
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Had the opportunity to go in late May for dinner with party of 5, so we had the opportunity to se many different dishes. Unusual and inventive but delicious, left us wanting more of everything.

This is a restaurant which has a distinctive voice: Appalachian Virginia. Lovely space with small rooms but with space for separateness from others. Filled with other feasting diners. Everything sparkled from appetizers, to main courses to desserts. Cocktails were wonderful, great wine list. Really no peer.

Cannot wait for my next visit!

1  Thank Stephen J
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was not my first visit to Hungry Mother nor will it be my last. Each experience leaves me with a sense of adventure and intrigue that requires one to return. They have made an art of taking traditional southern fare and turning it into the unexpected. Fried orkra with pimento cheese?! It was to die for. The chef understands flavor and how to take flank steak or Blue Fish to a whole new level. A menu staple has been the catfish, and yet they have changed the ingredients which made it an entirely new entre. What was great is now even better. The wine list is ever changing making it a part of the overall, eclectic experience. It really is a dining adventure that should not be missed. And don't forget to start with boiled peanuts.....

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I wanted to try this for a while but was foiled by difficulty getting a reservation. Sat at a bar table one night and had a really delicious meal! Most outstanding was the shrimp and grits. If they are on the menu get them! The soup was excellent too. I would definitely go back.