“Southern cooking with a sophisticated flair”
Review of Hungry Mother - CLOSED

Hungry Mother
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Binney St.
Transit: Hungry Mother is a 10 minute walk from the Kendall-MIT redline stop. Walk through Marriott hotel, turn left on Broadway, cross railroad tracks, bear right on Hampshire St., turn right on Cardinal Medeiros Ave. The restaurant is at the end of the block on the left.
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I really enjoyed my meal at this restaurant!

What I liked:
-Loved the corn bread and pork dish – tasted absolutely southern but just had a slight different twist of sophistication
-The ginger beer tastes like what my grandma used to make – we ordered extra !
-Very simple, but classy décor
-Thought the water jar glasses were cute
-Obviously a place people go for a nice night out
-Great service! Even when making the reservation they took care to note food allergies.
-Liked the wall paper in the washroom – an actual recipe book

What I didn't like:
- This is digging deep – there were only two washrooms
-Don’t go there early, it is usually fairly busy so you won’t get your table early. Also the area is fairly dead – there is no shopping and the nearest Starbucks closes at 8:00 PM.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

My friend and I decided to have our "fancy dinner out" at this restaurant and were not disappointed. Every menu item looked fantastic, but we eventually settled on cornbread to share, the steak for her and a couple of appetizers (duck stew and lamb scrapple) for me. The flavors were excellent and the portions good - not tiny, not overwhelming. The desserts were also quite good.

The only drawback was our somewhat taciturn waiter!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Great restaurant, a quaint place in high tech Kendell Square. On street parking more miss than hit so park at the Kendell Square Cinema. Your cost is $5.00 with validation. I joined a friend to celebrate his birthday. No reserverations and we ate in the bar. Friendly, knowledgeable, wait staff. Great wine recomendation. I had the catfish and crawfish very good dish, my friend had the Tri Tip. I found my taste to chewy but he loved it. The spicy salt pepper shrimp was a good portion for 2 but be aware it is shell on large shrimp. If you don't want to eat that nice chrunchy shell avoid it. If no problem then I say go for it.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Well prepared, whimsical southern cuisine. Was fortunate to grab a table on a random cold Tuesday night. Have the shrimp and grits appetizer. It is so tasty that wn't want to share it with even your closest loved ones. The catfish with crawfish is also moist and delicious. The staff is passionate about food, wine and beers. Don't skip dessert.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Hungry Mother just won the Globe Munch Madness. Hard to know how much that is influenced by restaurants promoting themselves, but Hungry Mother has great food and certainly deserves to be in the top tier of any ranking of Boston-area restaurants.

We've been there several times, and the food is generally wonderful. I've noticed a few reviewers commenting that the corn bread isn't that great, and that's been our experience as well, which is surprising since typically it's easy to make really tasty corn bread. That, though, isn't a great way to judge a restaurant as a whole.

Although the food is "Southern", it's not really similar to any particular cuisine I've eaten in the south or anywhere else. On our most recent visit, we got two appetizers. The first, mussels in a saffron aioli mustard sauce sauce was as good a preparation of mussels as I've ever eaten. The second was a special: an open faced smoked turkey sandwich with bacon that was also delicious. For a main course, we both got the rib eye steak with a romesco sauce and this, too, was wonderful and perfectly cooked medium rare as ordered. A couple of mixed drinks were nicely made as well.

For dessert, we got the buttermilk chess pie, which was good, and the chocolate and olive oil cake, which was okay but nothing special. Overall, the desserts were below the quality of the rest of the meal. We've had desserts at Hungry Mother on previous visits that were better, but overall desserts don't seem to be their strong suit.

The waitstaff was pleasant and efficient, and our waiter was helpful in making suggestions about various options. With some notice, the restaurant will pick up tickets for you for a movie at the Kendall Square Cinema. All in all a great place to have dinner in Cambridge.

1  Thank David R