“A truly beautiful place.”

Mount Auburn Cemetery
Ranked #1 of 81 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Mount Auburn Cemetery was founded in 1831 as America's first landscaped cemetery. A National Historic Landmark, its renowned landscape inspired the creation of the nation's public parks. Mount Auburn was designated an Important Bird Area by the Massachusetts Audubon Society, reinforcing its status as a significant wildlife sanctuary. Still an active burial place, Mount Auburn Cemetery provides comfort and solace to countless families. The Friends of Mount Auburn Cemetery was established in 1986 to assist in the conservation of the Cemetery's natural beauty and to promote the appreciation of its cultural, historic, and natural resources. Over 100 public programs are offered annually by the Friends to educate, enrich, and inspire the community. The Friends seeks financial support for education and interpretive programs and materials for the public, specific cultural projects, and operational support for horticultural rejuvenation and the preservation of the historic monuments, structures, and archival artifacts and records.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is a truly beautiful and tranquil place. It's park like setting makes you almost forget this is actually a cemetary. As you wander through you will find the final resting places of numerous famous people. Some think this is just a place of the rich and famous, that's not true most of the people resting here are remembered only by their families. I have been coming here over 60 years, it's still just as beautiful today as it was back then. When ever I return to the Boston area I visit here, not only because this is the resting place of all of my ancestors who lived in America, but because of the beauty I remember as a child.

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

My feelings ran the gamut on my first visit.
Initially, I was amazed at how magical this place is. All the plants and trees are wonderful and for such a large place, it's well maintained. I've never seen such headstones as works of art.
Then I felt a little awkward and then somewhat angry at the massive egos buried here with their shamelessly ostentatious testaments to their mostly trivial lives. I mean some of those monuments to abject wealth made me feel quite upset. What kind of arrogant people would waste money like this I thought to myself.
Ok I get it, you were rich and your kid was rich buried next to you and so was his kid. And the next plot over was super rich and the next one was filthy rich. Lots of old money and prominent families want YOU to know exactly how wealthy they were.
It was all very vulgar to me initially.

But then I calmed down and considered the possibility that many of these fine people built the monuments for my enjoyment. And I really did enjoy them. Around every turn is another amazing burial plot interspersed with tranquil ponds, inviting benches and witty epitaphs

I can't believe after all those years this was my fist visit to Mt. Auburn Cemetary. I can't wait to go back.

2  Thank jocko758
Reviewed December 28, 2013

As a lifelong Cambridge/Boston resident, I can honestly say there is no place I prefer for a walk than Mt. Auburn. It may disappoint those who cannot imagine how a cemetery could be an attraction, but if you value peace, rolling hills, views to mull your thoughts over, and some of the oldest and most beautiful trees in the city, you simply must visit here. It is a pilgrimage to be made for any landscape architecture buff, an Olmstead original, a masterpiece of its era (and perhaps of all time). It contains great monuments from the Egyptian revival period and the graves of many notable Cantabrigians. Seasoned naturalists visit for the birding (world-class in spring) and botany (interesting, but hardly wild). Visit Spruce Knoll, the Dell, and one of the lakes to get the most picturesque sampler of the scenery, and you will understand why this is a top pick for taking in Cambridge!

1  Thank wildlifephotog
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I hear this is the number one attraction in Cambridge. Perhaps. I just cannot understand why visitors to this historic town of great Universities and even greater museums --at least five-- would choose to visit the cemetery!

1  Thank Eleni O
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Mt Auburn cemetery is beautiful and peaceful place for a walk--lots of interesting memorials to see, and a general sense of peace and tranquility.