“Interesting but not my cup of tea”
Review of Arthur M. Sackler Museum - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Arthur M. Sackler Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Harvard's newest art museum specializes in Ancient, Asian, Islamic, and Later Indian art.
High Point, NC
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Interesting but not my cup of tea”
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

This was a bit too much modern art for my tastes. The staff was friendly and the layout was open and inviting. The subject matter was just not my cup of tea. As a summer adult student I did get a discount but still had to pay unlike some of the other museums on campus. I actually thought this was where the FA Museum was displaying items while they were renovating but I don't believe that is actually the case at least for most of the collection.

Arlington, Massachusetts
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“One museum showing the highlights of three”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

A box of great works and fascinating objects just outside Harvard Square. At the moment, the Sackler is displaying pieces from two other Harvard art museums, the Fogg and the Busch-Reisinger, as they are being renovated. Consequently, you'll see a vast range of works from many periods, continents, and styles on the Sackler's three gallery floors.

On the first floor are modern and contemporary works, including some thought-provoking and genuinely startling pieces. I tried the cell phone tour for one piece and thought the audio quality was a little distorted, but still interesting.

Asian art is on the next gallery floor. I was looking for Islamic art and they do have a few pieces on display. On the top floor with European art are recent acquisitions and a Jasper Johns exhibit (summer 2012).

I felt a little like a time traveler, going from Arabic script on a 14th century Persian brass pen box to 2006's blinding white Courier-typeface neon "Negro Sunshine" piece in the space of an hour.

Worth an afternoon's visit. It will be amazing to see the new building which will house all three museums in one, when construction is completed.

Visited July 2012