“Just awful”
Review of Abacus Hotel

Abacus Hotel
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I travel a lot by anyone's standards stay at over 40 hotels a year on business. We have tight budget so use the hotel websites like booking.com or late rooms etc. Usually I can't say anything bad as at the end of the day it's peoples livelihoods we're talking about. Anyway that said have to let rip on this gem in the hope owners read this. On initial view nice looking 4 star hotel, must have been refurbished for outside but must be waiting to do inside as still in 80s time warp. Bar area bamboo chairs! Waiter from the Basil Fawlty school of charm. Food sorry but there is traditional Italian cooking but there is also traditional italian dog food! What a pile of slop, I have never in all of my years travelling ever tasted anything so bad. I usually complain but you know what the waiter was so miserable looking I just couldnt be bothered. Best thing was the cheap red wine. Only thing positive has free parking! Listen suck it up stay in Radisson or Marriott you pays your money etc. NOT 4 STAR! .

Room Tip: Tip... Avoid it. Second tip sat nav .... all out of date, bloody nightmare finding it. All roads ha...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Borgan
maxxia, Direttore at Abacus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Sir, yes you are right when you say that our rooms’ furniture dates back from last century. Nonetheless, age is not the only issue in furniture, otherwise why should lovers pay thousands of dollars for old time pieces? I have visited the freshly opened chain hotels located in this area: often new, fashionable furniture does not mean better. Our beds, desks, cupboards, armchairs, nigh tables, bedposts are made of solid first class wood and give our hotel a classical look which, in my small opinion, is better than the plastic feel you sometimes get in newly opened, shining, standardised chain hotel rooms. All our bathrooms are made of Italian marble, which I doubt you can find in the summoned hotels. As far as bamboo chairs at the bar, I (nobody) ever thought they are so dreadful, surely they are comfortable.
None of our waiters can compare with David Letterman’s fancy, but I can endorse their competence. They do not tell funny jokes when serving, but surely know their job. Our restaurant is not managed directly by us, but as far as I know nobody ever got sick. I ignore the standards of your meals. Many of our corporate clients come on a regular basis and appreciation is generally good (you must always compare quality to prices, this must be said, considering that the average cost of our dinner ranges between € 15 and € 20). I am a lover of red wine, I am Italian, and I often dine here. The selection of red wine is satisfactory, in my opinion, though I have never tasted white wine.
In addition to free parking, we offer free wi-fi connection and free access to our wellness centre. In conclusion, when I read your review I thanked God, because clients like you are rare to find.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed in a room with a large living room and pull out couch and a second room with King bed which was very large and comfortable. Only complaint for the room were the large temperature swings when taking a shower. Staff was not extremely friendly or forthcoming with information. They told us about how to get to the metro and which stop to take when asked, but didn't explain they could also provide tickets until we specifically asked that question. Their directions to the airport were very basic and did not include a detour within 100 ft. of the hotel. Hotel is not as well maintained outside as shown in the pictures. The neighborhood did not seem safe at night, but was fine during the day walking to the metro. Overall, parking is free, great metro access to city center, room was very nice and the price was very good.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy878
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This Hotel is just outside Milan but well connected through the metro (20 minutes) Everything is basic so is the price to be fair. Dont expect anything fancy. Breakfast was terrible!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank stalenbu
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Overall: good position to visit Milan as a tourist, maybe also good for work travels (it wasn't the best choice for mine), clean rooms, friendly personnel (but I expect that from a 4-star hotel).

Position.
The hotel is right in front of the train station of Sesto San Giovanni, which is also a metro station (the last one on the red line of Milan's Metro system); it is not at all noisy though. I had a technical forum in Segrate, but arriving there required one hour circa, because I had to take a train to Lambrate plus a shuttle bus from there to the Idroscalo, which is a very busy trait.

If you have to go to the center, consider it's only ~9 stops from Duomo; with a little more effort it's easy to get to Porta Genova (on the green line) and visit the Navigli (_the_ place to go for aperitivo).

Facilities.
I haven't tried any facility in the hotel, as I didn't have the time. I had to have dinner in the hotel restaurant, though. The waiter was nice, but he brought me the wrong dish (and he even came back to be sure I had asked a thing rather than another). I had pasta and meat, and they were both mediocre.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank galiziacentrale
Reviewed April 24, 2012

next to the metro station at the end of the metro line into central Milan, takes about 30 minutes to the Duomo.
friendly staff, good breakfast buffet with typical italian sausages, cheese, etc., liked the orange press for fresh orange juice in the morning.
water in the pool was a bit cold, and the spa was only open between 18.00 and 22.00 hours.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Abacus is one among the best hotels in Milano. I have stayed at Abacus twice and found it very good. The rooms are bigger than most hotels in the city. The staff are pleasant & the breakfast unlike other hotels in the city, was very good. Close to the metro red line, the rest of the city is accessible quite easily.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank ARajMilano
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Friendly personell at the reception, although the check-in takes around 10 min.
(apparently because the Italian laws request all possible information from the guest).
Breakfast is well appointed and the maschine for freshly pressed orange is a highlight.
Good connection to the Milan's metro M1 (red line), just 100 m away.
But
Old, very noisy air conditioning system with primitive thermostats.
Old and probably not well maintained sanitary installations: the shower water flow and temperature is a realy chalange, specially in the morning (when many guests use it).
Very noisy rooms on the street side.
The area is not very safe at night - be aware of that if you travel alone.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sesto San Giovanni
Grand Hotel Duca di Mantova
Grand Hotel Duca di Mantova
#6 of 15 in Sesto San Giovanni
B&B Hotel Milano Sesto San Giovanni
B&B Hotel Milano Sesto San Giova...
#5 of 15 in Sesto San Giovanni
#1 of 8 in Cinisello Balsamo
Best Western Falck Village Hotel
Best Western Falck Village Hotel
#4 of 15 in Sesto San Giovanni

Been to Abacus Hotel? Share your experiences!