“4 nights and 2 days of misery”

Hotel Villa degli Angeli
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Castel Gandolfo
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We were a large party - last couple to be checked in - given Room 304 - it was like a cupboard within the inner walls of the hotel, beside reception and the main stairs to the bedrooms with no natural sunlight. A sewage smell started to appear on the 2nd evening from bathroom and even worse if you kept bathroom door opened. The room was also so small we could not store our 2 cases and husband kept his in a small storage area on top of pillows. One consolation - it was clean.

The bathroom was a very tight fit but was very clean.

All of our other friends had rooms facing the lake with terraces, small balconies, windows with views - we had to disappear to our small room with no daylight or view. I just was so miserable as would love to wake up to sunshine, not full darkness and having to turn on the light at 9.00 am to check the time.

This hotel is full of weddings so swimming pool and terrace closed to guests regularly- where do you go?????

Complained from the very first day and told no other room available - on last day the owner eventually offered us a single room and said he would remove the desk to put in a single camp bed for us - was speechless. He then offered to move us on our last night to an inferior hotel away from our friends - we had no transport?

The older waiter at breakfast was lovely however and did make a nice cup of coffee - not like the disgusting stuff dispensed from the coffee machine.

Trying to get a drink - joke ....

Amazed marriage lasted.....

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if offered a room with a number with 300 in it.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank David W
There are newer reviews for Hotel Villa degli Angeli

Reviewed September 3, 2011

After spending two fabulous weeks in Tuscany, we were looking forward to spending our last night in the Hotel Villa degli Angeli near to Ciampino airport. Upon arrival our first impressions where very disappointing - not only with the hotel but also the surrounding area which seemed very run down and past its sell by date. We booked a family room for €160 that was very small, contained four single beds which where tightly squeezed together, one of which was broken and my daughter fell through it in the night. The bathroom was so small, the shower doors needed to be closed to open the bathroom door. We booked an evening meal in the hotel restaurant and the food was over priced and below average and the staff where miserable. Also, when we collected our car in the morning there was another car in the hotel car park which had all of it's windows smashed! A very poor 4 star.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2011

After our first lovely stay here my husband often said 'I'd love to go back to Lake Albano' so we chose this gorgeous location for a reunion with my American cousins. I hadn't seen my cousin since 1967, so this was to be a special occasion, and we thought the Villa degli Angeli would be perfect. It was.
I can never understand the negative reviews about this charming hotel. Like many Italian hotels it's not particularly modern or well-equipped, but it is beautiful and charming, and the staff are friendly and helpful, particularly in the restaurant. Breakfast is good, and as mentioned in another review, the dark-haired waitress is lovely. We had a superb dinner one evening, and on a bank holiday the hotel put on a magnificent buffet. We sat and ate for hours - there were six of us as our Italian cousins joined us, and there was something for everyone. We all enjoyed it.
The atmosphere at the hotel is relaxed - nothing is pushed, and maybe that's what some reviewers don't understand. Do go there, enjoy the Lake and surrounding areas, hire a car and drive to Tivoli, an hour away and visit the magnificent Villa d'Este. Just smile at the staff and chat to them - they are really very nice. We have recommended it to many of our friends, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we go there a third time!

Room Tip: Lake view - room 408 has a nice terrace and more drawer space than most
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ms_Moggy
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Room 405: double room with terrace ovenlooking the lake, dangerous bathroom (shower, no bath). Including breakfast we paid Eur 100 for one night. Hotel has wifi.
The location is quite nice, overlooking the lake, and it has a big terrace which is partly restaurant. As it is built on a slope, the walking areas can be quite steep. Our room was not reachable by elevator. The room was alright, but taking a shower was a bit of a daunting exercise as the cabin was cramped into a corner and it was difficult to get in and out. The water was difficult to regulate with regard to the temperature and this combined with the high step from the bathroom floor made it quite dangerous. We are both not overweight, but I can imagine that somewhat bigger persons may have a hard time. The bathroom in general gave the impression of having been put there as an afterthought. Staff didn't make a professional impression, some looked like temps. During breakfast the musical preferences of one of the staff became clear and loudly so... Not a place we will be going back to. The wear and tear is visible and we find the 4-star rating questionable.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Lyre2003
Reviewed December 30, 2010

If your want a lovely quiet, restful, stress free break and love walking....this area is ideal and lovely.
Slept well , rooms clean, a little cold, This hotel is set up more for Weddings, Pilots and Air Stewards.The views are superb and would love to visit this area when the weather is warmer.

Hotel food was ok, but same each evening, breakfast was ok but slow at putting out the continental breakfas ..I must say that the woman with the dark hair serving breakfast in the morning was the most pleasant.
Hotel Staff were ok when we checked in, but the attitude seemed to slip as the days went on.Although they did run us to the station for a trip into Rome and collected some of them when they returned.

Overall Staff not very chatty or friendly, they did nothing to encourage us to spend money in there hotel, did not do themselves any favours, as we decide to eat out because of their manner. Maybe they are only interested in Wedding Parties.

One problem is transport, very isolated. The train station is about a 3/4 mile walk from the hotel, exhausting and steep hills, although the hotel has there own taxi's, but not to keen to run you anywhere or collect you ....Especially when eating up in the small village of Castel Gandolfo at the top of the hill beyond the train station..p.s. Try the ATRE VINO restaurant absoultley amazing food, service and pleasant surroundings. The owner and son and friend could not have been nicer.

It was also actually very easy to travel into the city of Rome for the day, and you could also access this area from ciampino airport via the train very easy, and very close.,

my next question here is... would i recommend this hotel to a friend?, not sure....possibly i would just for the area and i'm sure the area is a busy place come the summer.with cafe bars along the lake side and nice restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 27, 2010

This Hotel is Haunted!!!

I have waited so long to post this but I swear to God I will never forget this moment or what happened to me.

On one of the nights we went to bed and I woke up at about 3.30am in the morning and seen what looked like some girl crawling out of my husbands side of the bed. We where away on a wedding holiday but i will never forget this moment. I tried to wake him up ASKING him why this woman was crawling out of his side of the bed but he said to me that i was mad and to go asleep. Ok normally I might of but I hid my head and counted to 10 a number of times b ut everytime I looked that woman stod at the side of the bed with her hands crossed hair curly and her looking directly at me. I have never been so afraid in all my life. Plus even when I woke up she was still there. Did not sleep much that night so I decided to email the Hotel about it. Guess what happened ? they never ever even replied to me. Typical European ignorance!!! was not impressed as this really frightened me!!!

Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank cjay1
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We had our wedding here and it was perfect. I had paid a few visits to the hotel in order to plan it and experienced top class service each time. The food for the reception was amazing, and it was the same experience for all dinners we had there. A lot of Italians use the restaurant, which can work out expensive a la carte, if you are staying ask for half or full board. The view from the terrance across Lago Albano to the quiet village of Castel Gandolfo is beautiful especially at sunset. As has been said before, the hotel does cater for a lot of weddings, some of my guests who stayed longer also felt like they were in the way. But I have to say the staff went over and above their duties for service, they will pick you up and drop you off at the railway station to go in and out of Rome. Very tranquil setting which is perfect for a few days break, if you want more night action stay in the city.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Villa Tuscolana Park Hotel
Villa Mercede
Villa Mercede
#1 of 14 in Frascati

Been to Hotel Villa degli Angeli? Share your experiences!