“La Dolce Vita”

Antico Ristorante Pagnanelli
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Today Pagnanelli offers the experience as restauranteurs of four generations. Still the same family running the restaurant founded by Giovanni Pagnanelli in 1882. A client recently commented “the formula of Pagnanelli’s success is a cocktail of passion and creativity with every family member giving his contribution”. In the sixties Aurelio Mariani (son of Lucia Pagnanelli) marries Jane Williams who leaves her career as an actress in classical theatre in Australia. For Jane and Aurelio their constant dedication along with their four sons encouraged them to constantly improve. Jane says that Pagnanelli is like a theatre, and as Shakespeare wrote: “ All the world’s a stage and all the men and women merely players”.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Ristorante Pagnanelli overlooks Lago Albano near Castelo Gandolfo about 30 minutes southeast of Rome. Both the food and the view are spectacular. Our lunch was a virtually private affair arranged through the auspices of Miles and Miles Private Tours based in Rome. Roberto, founder of Miles and Miles and our guide for the day, knows the Mariani family personally and created a unique and wonderful experience for us. Seated near the balcony perched more than a 100 feet above the lake, we were treated to a private tasting of four wines from the area; a spumanti, a white made from the Malvasia grape, a Shiraz, and finally a dessert wine. Each was paired with an appetizer meant to bring out the flavors of the wine. Especially good was the puff pastry with gorgonzola and walnuts paired with the Malvasia. Then it was lunch. I highly recommend the sampler plate of four fish caught in Lago Albano. Our experience was topped off by a tour of the wine cellar stocked with more than 3000 labelings, with some bottles signed by Robert DeNiro and Jane Fonda among other celebrities, and some high quality grappa. Fantastic. My thanks to the Mariani family and Roberto of Miles and Miles for a wonderful and memorable experience.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband Myself and Daughter ,were driving around the lakes and were looking to eat somewhere on our last night of our holiday.We parked opposite two Resturants ,we decided The Pagnanelli looked the nicest ,it seemed more was happening.We had the most amazing meal and extreamly good service.We were asked if we would like to see in the wine cellars and could not believe what was under the balconey where we had had our meal.A whole different world it was buzzing with people and wine tasting.I had wondered where all the people were dissappering to .What an absolute perfect find and a lovely evening.I did tell one of the son,s in the family I would give them a 10 star review!!!! We will certainly go back with our other 2 Daughters.

1  Thank Elizabeth Ann M
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My family and I ate here in October 2007 and we loved it then. When we returned to Rome in September 2012, we did a wine tour with Miles & Miles tour company, we knew we wanted to return to Pagnanelli. The restaurant had not changed. The views were still beautiful and the food and wine still amazing. I had the pasta with beet root, which I never had before. It was amazing.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

My husband and I spent our last evening before returning to Canada at this amazing resturant. We could not believe that we dined for 5 hours, the atmosphere was so perfect time just passed by without notice. The views, food and staff were exceptional. The attentive staff was far beyond good service. It was the perfect end to our vacation. I suggest anyone going to the Lake Albano area have dinner at this resturant. Ask to tour the wine cellar, It was a highlight!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our family had excellent wine and delicious food while enjoying one of the most beautiful sceneries we had seen. The view on Lake Albano is something to keep in our memory. We had a great time visiting the Restaurant´s wine cellar. If you go to Castelgandolfo, don´t miss Pagnanelli´s. Great wine, great food, great service!