“Beautiful land, ideal hostel to explore it”
Review of Derrylahan Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilcar
Derrylahan Hostel
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Great host, great facilities, great area. The hostel makes an ideal base for walking the sea cliffs or exploring Neolithic ruins. both can be done with or without a car. And Shaun is a jovial and caring host with a real knowledge of both the local things to do as we'll as northwest irish culture generally. You couldn't ask for more. I plan to come back to Ireland, and I will stay at Derrylahan hostel when I do.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank steve b

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Whoever wrote the damning review of Derrylahan Holiday Hostel in Kilcar, Donegal, Ireland, must have not been very observant, Clearly they could not have been staying at the Derrylahan H.H. that I have known and cherished for years.I feel I must put the record straight. Not only is the owner the most friendly and jolly host I have ever come across, his staff would never be allowed to behave in the way described. No matter how he may be feeling in himself, he is always "on duty" where his guests are concerned. He has "returners" from all over the world, myself among them. I consider a stay at Derrylahan H.H. an extra bright spot in my visits to Ireland, which are usually a number of times each year.I would urge readers to ignore this misplaced review and pay Derrylahan H,H. a visit as soon as you can. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Annette H
Reviewed May 11, 2013

During our hiking trip "Sli Cholmcille" we stayed in the Derrylahan Hostel. A warm welcome with a cup of thee and a nice room for a good price. Due to Shaun it felt more like a home than a Hostel. In the area you can do great hiking trips of which Slieve League is absolute fantastic!! Shaun; thanks for the nice time we had and the big laughs, you run a very good Hostel with a great atmosphere. If we ever come back to the Kilcar area we will certainly come back to your Hostel.

Tip for other travellers: as there are more Hostels in the area make shure you check in the Derrylahan Hostel. I'm convinced that the one negative respons on Tripadvisor was from somebody who visites another Hostel.

Hans Heijkant, The Netherlands

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hans H
Reviewed May 6, 2013

After a few days camping in cold wet weather my friends and I came upon the above hostel. We were met at the door by a woman who was cagey and not very welcoming. When we asked if they had beds available in the hostel she stated they did. We then asked her what the B & B price was and she stated that "she did not know" but that they had rooms available, and would find the owner? The owner? arrived to tell us that actually the 30 bed hostel was in fact full and so was the B & B. Unfortunately (for us) it appeared that while we were booking in at the rear of the building another person had taken the last room after booking at the front of the building!!! The car park was empty and it would appear that the Derrylahan was the only hostel / B&B doing business in the area!!! The upshot is the owner didn't like the look of us, we were probably too scruffy. (if you wear designer clothes and drive a ferrari i'm sure you would be made very welcome) I would not recommend this establishment to anyone, Spend your cash elsewhere!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Derrylahan Hostel is a fantastic place to stay, beautiful location and setting and a wonderful welcome. We were a group of 9 adults and 7 children, staying in family rooms. Staying in Derrylahan made our trip to Kilcar extra special. Thank you Shaun, you are a perfect host and we certainly hope to be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tgeever
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Derrylahan is one of the most beautiful places in Ireland. The hostel has everything, all the facilities you need, and a working farm thrown in too. Shaun will go out of his way for his guests. He might even bring you to a pub for some live traditional Irish music and dancing!!! I can see why people return year after year to Derrylahan. Best wishes for the future.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank CharlieMcGrane
Reviewed August 2, 2012

A great little place to stay. Spent two nights with my husband and 11 month old baby boy. We had a good sized family room which was very comfortable and clean. Was very impressed with the amenties and even the fresh free range eggs! Incredible views of Teelin bay and Slieve League and only a 10-15 minute walk to the beach.

Shaun the owner has a great sense of humor and will definitely go out of his way to make your stay a comfortable one. Definitely a well run hostel with a friendly atmosphere.

We hope to pay a visit again in the near future to do some further exploring of the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Family rooms of good size and available on the ground floor