“Hot Stuff”

70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Hot Stuff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

A must see, the awesome power of the earth. They say it is the most powerful hot spring in the world. Well produces the most hot water. Sometimes the steam hinders the visibility but still something to stop and see.

Visited October 2013

• Slovak first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
164 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 229 helpful votes
“Small attraction worth the quick stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

We found ourselves the only ones here that cold November day after deciding to stop by on our way from Hraunfossar to Snaefellsnes Peninsula.

I think we were both surprised, however, because typically when I hear "thermal spring" or "hot spring," I tend to think of an actual natural pool or resort in which folks can relax outdoors. Instead, we quickly discovered that Deildartunguhver is an impressive, natural display of harnessing the power of geothermal sources. Its heat and hot water is piped to the large, neighboring greenhouses AND two towns for energy.

The seemingly endless boiling water and steam is other-wordly, and I recommend caution from of any rogue splashes. Unlike in America, where you can count on the government fearing the stupidity of its citizens and hence erecting large barricades to protect against self-harm, only a short wooden fence separated us from the scalding steam. It also emitted sulfur odors as one woud expect, but it wasn't eye-wateringly strong (I actually like the smell as I associate it with all the enjoyable, relaxing times I've bathed in mineral hot springs).

Small parking lot that we had all to ourselves. Overall this isn't a very big attraction and it won't take very long to admire it, but I'm glad we made the stop to see what it was all about.

Visited November 2013
4 Thank aerofaze
Hong Kong, China
506 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 364 helpful votes
“The weather did this place no justice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I'm sure this place would be interesting if it weren't the heavy rain. With the steam coming from the hot spring you can already barely see what's in front, just imagine the visibility with the heavy rain and gusts!

christchurch
199 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Very hot springs!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Very active, bubbly hot springs here - quite an impressive display of nature. Worth a stop if you are passing. Don't expect to be able to take a dip though - the water is way too hot!

1 Thank roaming_kiwi58
Holbrook, New York
148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 233 helpful votes
“Hot and stinky”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I didn't expect much but was pretty impressed. These springs are super hot, violently bubbling and stink of sulfur. I thought the smell would permeate our clothes but it did not. Its crazy to think that these springs heat so many houses across the country. Be careful when taking pictures so you do not soak your camera as there is a lot of moisture in the air even when you aren't directly in a steam cloud.

2 Thank sneakyright