“Visit Makes The History Come Alive”

Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The soldiers who died in Custer's Last Stand, now known as the Battle of Little Bighorn, are memorialized at this monument, featuring a statue of the legendary Custer, whose men were outnumbered and slaughtered in a battle against the Plains Indians.
Reviewed November 14, 2010

While we were looking forward to the visit, we had no idea how great the impact would be of being there in person. We had originally planned about a 2-3 hour visit, but that turned in to 5 hours and we could have spent another hour, easy. You will definitely want to take in one of the presentations by the rangers, see the short film, and walk the path through the battlefield. The rangers give an insightful talk that is informative in ways you would not have imagined (like the politics of the day, and how it contributed to the events in the area), and they do a great job of being realistic and non-partisan.

23  Thank catt4
Write a ReviewReviews (1,439)

Reviewed November 2, 2010

On a road trip this year I set a full day aside to travel from Spearfish SD to Red Lodge Montana with the intention of an unrushed visit en route to this monument.Even though we are not from America the history or folklore of General Custer and the Little Bighorn battlefield was always part of our growing up so this had to be a must visit site.
I spent over 3 hours at the site and thoroughly enjoyed the small but very informative visitors center which provided unbiased details of the battles at the site.There are wonderful photographs and personal details of people on both sides who fought here and it showed a human side to the suffering that occured .
You can drive a one way route through the vast battlefield site and there are several stops with information details and diagrams of the various battles that happened here.It is an area of beautiful landscape and even though there were many visitors on the day the site did not feel crowded.
I think peopled are humbled by the site and there is a quiet respect shown the same as if people were passing through a graveyard.
For visitors who want to spend some time here there is an excellent restaurant & gift store across the main road from the site where you can break your journey.This is run by local native Americans and even though the signs are a little tacky the food and services are excellent.

2  Thank Zena1
Reviewed October 20, 2010

My husband and I stopped here on a road trip and it was very interesting. My husband loves history and was very interested in all of the details. I must admit, history is not really my thing, but I really enjoyed this site. It was a beautiful location and they have done a great job highlighting the importance of the battle. We were there while a few tour buses were there, so it was a little overcrowded. We spent about an hour here, but could have spent more time if we were not strapped for time!

2  Thank mauionmymind08
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We stopped here on our way home to the westcoast. We planned on making a quick stop (my husband's idea, I wasn't really that interested). It turned out to be a hi-lite of our 3000 mile trip and we ended up spending almost 3 hrs there! We would have stayed longer, but it was late and they were closing. Scenic, historic, lots of information. We first took the tour bus, with a young Crow guide. He gave us a description of the battle as we were driven to various view points of the battlefield. Then we went back to the visitor center and listened to an incredible Natl. Park guide who again described the battle. finally we walked and drove around the grounds, taking pictures. An amazing place, gives you an entirely different understanding of the events than anything you could ever read about. Beautiful countryside as well. Allow plenty of time.

2  Thank bodori
Reviewed September 30, 2010

The previous reviews are spot on so I will just add a few things I noticed. I visited in mid-September and still the parking lot was nearly full. The Visitors Center is nice but really was not large enough to handle the large volume of visitors - it must really be packed during the peak summer season. Also located in the park is a beautiful National Cemetery with hundreds of markers from various wars. If you are handicapped there are a few parking spots at the top of "Last Stand Hill" that will save you a climb. Also be sure to look for the unique marker for the grave of the horses killed in the battle. The scenic drive through the park is self guiding and will give you a good perspective of the entire battlefield but it will take a few hours if you stop to read every interpretive sign along the way.

3  Thank RoadTripperGuy