“A must-see for western history buffs!”

Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The soldiers who died in Custer's Last Stand, now known as the Battle of Little Bighorn, are memorialized at this monument, featuring a statue of the legendary Custer, whose men were outnumbered and slaughtered in a battle against the Plains Indians.
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I spent three hours here on my cross-country trip, and it was one of my favorite experiences. If you've done any research or read any books about the Battle of the Little Bighorn, you will be enraptured.
I read "The Last Stand," by Nathan Philbrick prior to coming here, and it made the book come alive. I've been re-reading it since my visit, and it's made the book so much more enjoyable, too. I was there during early April, so there were hardly any people, and at one point at the Reno-Benteen battlefield I was completely alone. It was sublime being up there, wandering around in the silence, reading all the information markers about the battlefield, and wondering what it must have been like for everyone there.
There is a wealth of information available, and you can do audio tours by cell-phone, which is nice as long as you're not terribly concerned about time or minutes. The visitor center is tantalizing; filled with interesting books about all sides of the battle and the area.
Three hours was a pretty good amount of time there; I think you can see most of the battlefield and walk most of the trails. I wouldn't recommend being there for less than two hours; you just won't get to see enough. They didn't have tours operating at the time; I wish I could have gone on one.
CAVEAT: If you are not a history buff or fairly familiar with the battle, I don't think this will be as impressive. If you're planning on traveling all the way out there, I recommend doing at least some pre-visit research.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,458)
All reviews
in 24 reviews
"indian memorial"
in 58 reviews

Reviewed March 20, 2012

I made the mistake of thinking I could see this place and Devils Tower in the same day. It took us about an hour to get here from Billings, MT. Once we got here we really enjoyed the visit. Definitely worth the time but you need to allow plenty of time to see it. Start with the Ranger presentation in the visitor center. Very informative and she told us about the history of the time leading up to the battle which had a huge impact on the events that took place there. There were very interesting displays in the visitor center as well as a very nice gift shop. After the ranger presentation we drove up the hill to the monument and followed the road around the battlefield stopping to read the signs along the way describing what took place at that vantage point. There are markers all over the hills there showing where soldiers fell and died during the battle. Only recently have markers been added for Indians that fell there as well. We even found one marker honoring all the horses that died there. Most of the battlefield was left much the way it was at the time of the battle making it easy to imagine the scene as it took place. At one point you pass through private property and you'll see a herd of horses wandering through and you may have to pull off the road to let them pass. The national cemetery there is very pretty. There are lots of trails for hiking there that we didn't take because I am handicapped but there is still plenty to see from the road. We stayed there about 4 hours and easily could have stayed longer. Although my wife didn't think she would like it very much she ended up enjoying it and agreed with the reviews we had seen beforehand where wives had been surprised by how much they liked it.
Note if you like postcards check out the gas station at the bottom of the hill below the entrance to the battlefield. They have several racks there and the cards are cheaper than in the battlefield gift shop.
If you have time there is a little town near the battlefield called Garryowen. There is a historical marker there with a tribute to Custer and Sitting Bull and I believe there was an unknown soldier buried there as well. There was also a museum there but it was closed when we stopped there several days later.

2  Thank giannolo
Reviewed February 22, 2012

This is a must see if you are here for a while! Don't forget to visit the Lady of the Mountain if you visit in the Summer!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

The first we visited the battlefield, we didn't know what to expect, and we happened to be there just as the Sturgis rally was gearing up, so it was really, really crowded. This time we were ahead of Sturgis and actually got to see the movie in the visitor's center and spend some time in the displays there. That made the experience more meaningful. You could spend a lot of time here, but we did Last Stand Hill, the Spirit Warriors memorial (which is stunning—really beautiful), and then drove out to read about Reno/Benton at the opposite end of the battlefield. It's a very solemn place, well worth the visit.

1  Thank LSR00
See more reviews
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Battlefield bigger than expected; museum smaller. Nonetheless, one of our better baatlefield exhibits. Park rangers knowledgeable and helpful. Crow indian (Absarooka) tour good, informative, but our guide spoke faster than a tobacco auctioneer. A bit more leisurely, with longer stops at key points, would help. Still, very much worth doing, and reasonably priced. If visiting in sunny weather, bring suntan lotion. The sun and wind can burn quickly. Altogether a good visit for historically minded travellers. Just seeing the battlefield provides answers to questions books and movies raise. E.g., regardless of the level of bravery of custer's subordinates (Benteen good, Reno not so good), Custer really didn't have a chance once he'd split his command. Distances too great for mutual support in presence of overwhelming numbers of brave hostiles. Once his attempt to capture hostages failed, Custer was toast.

2  Thank docc_11