“Brings the events of that sad day to life”

Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The soldiers who died in Custer's Last Stand, now known as the Battle of Little Bighorn, are memorialized at this monument, featuring a statue of the legendary Custer, whose men were outnumbered and slaughtered in a battle against the Plains Indians.
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Though neither an American nor an Indian this is one of the most evocative places I have ever visited. It really brings the events of that sad day to life. The exhibits and the ranger talk are superb and so is the tour around the battlefield, which we did twice, once on the bus and once in the car. It's interesting that Last Stand Hill, where Custer's body was found, was probably not the site of the "last stand" at all - archeological evidence from the 1980's suggests the last troopers to die were some way down the coulee towards the river. You can see the markers from the visitor centre.

Our Crow guide on the bus was terrific. Custer had Crow guides too as they were too not friendly with the Lakota and Cheyenne camped in the valley. The whole site is on the Crow reservation, as it was in 1876.

It's only when you drive and walk the ground that you can begin to understand what happened there and - to some extent - why Custer did what he did.

I'll be back there again one day. Next time perhaps to learn more about our Crow hosts.

4  Thank yonze

Reviewed September 29, 2011

Being a military history buff, I had wanted to visit LBH for many years as I had read many of the books. I finally had the opportunity this year when visiting Yellowstone - it's not the easiest place to get to from where I live on Vancouver Island. The park fully met my expectations - perhaps the most evocative place I have ever been to in the west - if you know the history of the events of June 1876. Two superb and recent books are Donovan's A Terrible Glory and Philbrick's The Last Stand. Read either before you visit and it will mean a lot more to you.
It was intriguing to have a Crow guide in the park - just as Custer did. The park is on the Crow reservation, just as it was then.

2  Thank yonze
Reviewed September 26, 2011

A must is the Park Ranger telling what happened that day in history. Our Ranger had us believing we were there with Custer. When you go to the top of the hill there is an eerie feeling that comes over you. Things are so quiet and looking over the battlefield where they have placed monuments where the soldiers and Indians fell, you get a somber feeling. There are Monuments to all the Indians and Soldiers that fell with their names.
This is a must place to visit

3  Thank silvertraveler65
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I only went along b/c a member of our group was interested in this history. WE WERE ALL SO IMPRESSED! There is a good video to watch about the battle but best of all was the Battle Talk which was extremely well done so we felt like we were actually there! Great history here.

2  Thank mar_m0m
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I wish we had more time when we stopped but its a very nice attraction with A LOT of people milling around everywhere. It's not a quaint or quiet attraction and be prepared to walk a lot. The books available in the gift shop were outstanding and the relics on display were magnificent. That being said I wish there would have been tribal representatives/volunteers to talk to about how the tribe feels not only about this attraction (there is some debate) but also about the event and its effect on their history. The native park rangers were very nice but were busy ringing up purchases and directing traffic.

1  Thank marlawscc