“Evening meal”

Eldsto Art Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Hvolsvollur
Cuisines: Healthy
Description: Eldstó Art Café/Restaurant is an artistic place where all tableware is handmade on the premises by the owners G.Helga and Þór Sveinsson (Thor), potter. The coffee we serve is made of quality coffee beans and our cakes, bread and soups are local as well as our various small dishes. Icelandic lamb and fresh fish is on the menu and lettuce grown in the surrounding countryside. Having a delicious meal in our lovely Restaurant on your way to the south is an excellent idea. We have a special menu for groups.
Reviewed April 22, 2016

The food was very good and reasonably priced. The owner is friendly and chatty, always a bonus when travelling, and we envied her stories of pure white snow, peace and quiet and learning that Icelandic people do just as nutty stuff as anywhere else in the world. Like visiting an erupting volcano! Thanks, we enjoyed ourselves and recommend the cafe, art, pottery and company.

Guðlaug I, Owner at Eldsto Art Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2016

Thank you, it was nice to meet you and hope you enjoy your trip in Iceland

Kind regards - Helga

Reviewed April 21, 2016 via mobile

My friends and I stopped by Eldsto Art Cafe on a roadtrip to Vik. The grilled chicken is marinated overnight and was very flavorful in my salad. I dont eat Cod fish in the U.S. but tadted my friends and it was very tasty. She thought it could have been a bit crisper but otherwise was very good. The burger was also ordered and gobbled up. Great place for a break from the road!

Guðlaug I, Owner at Eldsto Art Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2016

Reviewed September 20, 2015 via mobile

My first impression was that the Eldstro Art Cafe was disorganized. We had made reservations, and we were the first to arrive for a mid-week evening meal. But there seemed to be some hesitation to know what to do with us. I thought that the supervisor was preoccupied with some other issues. Perhaps he was, but I also discovered that he was more relaxed than the somewhat formal ambiance of the restaurant suggested. The place rapidly filled up, but, contrary to my expectations, the service was efficient and friendly, as was everything else in Hvolsvöllur. Food was quite good. It was also quite pricey. Nothing new about this. After all, it is in Iceland.

2  Thank GuatadeLapis
Reviewed September 18, 2015

We just stopped for coffee and pastry. The owner was very friendly, coffee was excellent and very nice atmosphere.

1  Thank xcskierNH
Guðlaug I, Manager at Eldsto Art Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2015

kind regards - Helga

Reviewed September 16, 2015

My wife and I stopped here for lunch on our tour of Iceland, and without doubt this was the best meal we had during our two weeks in the country.
The place is a bistro, cafe and also has a small pottery studio attached at the rear of the property. There are two dining areas, one is set up like a canteen with wooden square tables and chairs, the other where we were was bistro style with metal tables a deux.
in terms of what we had it was simple food (as a bistro ought to be) presented with great skill and tasted delicious. We had vegetable pie and lamb soup, followed by cake and coffee. The vegetable pie was in filo pastry and filled with a good selection of vegetables held in a quiche type filling. My wife who is not a vegetarian said it was the best pie she'd had in ages, it really tasted good. I had lamb soup, and it was superb. Clear broth with tender local lamb, pieces of potato, carrot, and swede with a hint of black pepper in the broth. It was served with home made bread which was good too. I have subsequently learnt that this is a national dish and whilst I understand that each family has its own variation, I am looking forward to making this myself at home in the UK over the coming winter months.
For dessert we had cake and latte. In conversation with the lady owner of the Eldsto we learnt that all of her cakes are made by a baker in the nearby town of Selfoss and she sells only his cakes - lucky us! They were excellent. I had carrot cake and my wife had caramel & chocolate. Plenty of each one, and nothing left at the end. Coffee was good too.
The service was perfect having the right touch, showing the team knew how much attention we did or rather didn't need.
There is plenty of parking outside and the bistro sits literally just off the main 1 road. It also provides good wifi with no signal drop off. Toilets very clean.
I cannot recommend this place highly enough; our best meal in Iceland.