“Grandest hotel in Iceland”
Review of Hotel Ranga

Hotel Ranga
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hella
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon, it was the nicest place we stayed (was also the most expensive by far)
The food was very good, as was the location.
Happy Hour 2for1 made early evening drinks very reasonable.
We had a riverside room with a private terrace, would have been lovelly in summer.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,699)

Reviewed May 3, 2013

After much research I booked this hotel for my husband as a present for 4 nights. I had high expectations and on arrival itlooked very impressive, nice bar area downstairs (albeit small) and friendly staff. The room was small but sufficient and the breakfast spread each morning was superb.

On our first evening, we dinned in the upstairs bar (be warned, they only serve bar snacks after 8.30pm), on the second evening we chose the restaurant, and the food was superb, as was the bread and service. I explained to our waiter that I couldn't eat raw seafood, and the chef made some adaptations to the curry soup starter to ensure the seafood was cooked.
The fresh bread was lovely and our waiter topped up our bread basket. Sadly the restuarant prices aren't cheap and there isn't any other option for food nearby.

There aren't many hot tubs and whilst we had a room directly facing the river and overlooking one of the hot tubs,this was both a blessing and a curse. Although the in room information lists the hot tub times, we had countless guests jumping into the hot tub after 11pm and hitting the bubbles button which made so much noise it was hard to get decent sleep. Coupled with poor sound proofing - we could hear the couple in the room next door talking and snoring, we didnt get much rest over the 4 nights. On the final night, guests proceeded to use the hot tubs beyond 11pm and we telephoned reception twice to ask why they weren't enforcining the useage times. Reception offered to move us into a new room (but who wants to do this at 11.30pm at night when you are already in your pyjamas) and we felt so strongly about it that we complained in writing to our travel company.

As it was Easter weekend when we stayed, we would have expected the hotel staff to be on the ball with regards to servicing the faciliities, after a day of sightseeing, we returned in the late afternoon and the staff hadn't finished servicing the hot tubs - so we were left for 2 hours to entertain ourselves - despite their hot tubs times listed as being avaiable in the late afternoon.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, take ear plugs! Also they provide a fridge in the room and plastic glass...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Booked a honeymoon offer of 3 nights and explained it was to celebrate my partners 50th birthday and that we would arrive on this day as a surprise! I picked the hotel based on the reviews in the hope that they would make my partner feel special. On arrival I paid an agreed amount to upgrade to a suite. Unfortunately the flowers from the original room, part of the offer were never moved! We also had an extra occasion to celebrate as we had became engaged on the glacier beach on our way to the hotel.
But unfortunately no effort was made to recognise our celebrations by the hotel and it did not live up to our expectation. I expressed my disappointment but little effort was made, although they did not charge us for the flowers.
Overall we felt the hotel had achieved success and no longer needed to make an effort therefore not worth the money we paid!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

OK, perhaps if I hadnt seen the northern lights it would have been different
This place is NOT cheap. I looked into a all in arranged holiday and then did in cheaper myself. By booking flights and hotel.
My mum wanted to do something exciting for 70th birthday so we booked here, we selected the winter, the month, and it was the right cycle for seeing the northern lights and wanted somewhere out of the city, so you maximised the chances and we did. They wake you up in the night if you want. which is great.
The outside hot tubs (hotpots) are great too, but there arent enough and our room faced the car park so we had to go down the corridor and walk outside more to get in one, not ideal, but my mums room had direct access to one. And rooms were very small, so of an evening there is not a lot to do.
The restuarant was very very fancy (oak smoked puffin etc)
It wasnt good for vegetarians I was promised a diffrent dish the second night and I got the same dish as the first, even though they had arranged this. But I didnt make a fuss as it was my mums birhtday celebration but be warned food and drink is expensive. And only cheap pizza restaurants in teh villlage near by (no where walking distance as quite remote)
Breakfast was lovely too and lots of choice.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the river and hot pots (hot tubs)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The entire hotel is made of imported logs and so cozy. We had a deluxe room that was large with a huge bathroom and huge whirlpool tub. There are also several outdoor hot tubs that face a meandering river. Big, fluffy bathrobes are provided so you can make it to the hot tub in comfort.

The hotel has one of the best stocked bars I have ever seen. The chef is very good. The menu is excellent and should satisfy any gourmand. We enjoyed a dinner with Frethrik, the owner, one evening and had a delightful meal.

We put our name on the list to be awakened to see the Northern Lights but had no luck. But we are already planning our next trip back to the Hotel Ranga. We want to do another longer glacier walk and go scuba diving.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe room if possible
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with our 7 year old grandson. Wonderful! After a long day touring it just gets everything so right. The views are stunning, especially in the dining room with the windows on three sides. Great fun sitting in the hot tub (put on a hat if there's a cold wind).

The food is beautiful and the staff know their menu and are very happy in their work.

The owner of the hotel is always visible. He has made a brilliant place, we will be back.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Ranga Hotel and wished we could have stayed longer. Very relaxing place. The staff were exceptional and more than happy to help with any queries or just see that you were ok. Our room was great, beds were so comfy, huge bath and stunning views across to the mountains and a hottub right outside. We didn't eat in the main restaurant but ate off the bar menu each night and the food was great. Bar area was very cosy great space for a quiet drink after a busy day exploring. Breakfast was delicious with a huge choice something for everyone. We hired a car which I would highly reccommend and found everything we wanted to see easy to find from the hotel. To top it all off we had been at the hotel less than half an hour before reception rung to tell us the lights were out although they were light we saw them and were very grateful for the call or we would have missed them. Although Ranga is a slightly more expensive choice I would definaltely recommend it to anyone and hope that we have the pleasure to stay here again one day.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hella
Stracta Hotel
#3 of 11 in Hella
Hotel Selid
Hotel Selid
#1 of 11 in Hella

Been to Hotel Ranga? Share your experiences!