We hired a car and drove there after a terrible night at the Hotel Keflavik at the aiport. It is a 45 min drive and well worth renting your car a day early to get there.
Very stylish and modern, well stocked fridge, good shower, reasonable breakfast and internet computer in lounge. Staff all look very smart in their spa/clinic uniforms.
Have a nice swim in the hot pools before breakfast, then go up to the Blue Lagoon for no extra charge and lounge around there - good day out.
Those expecting a cheap Hotel 101 should be aware that it is actually a clinic and if you look closely you might feel slight;y like you were in a very smart private hospital!
The restuarant at the Lagoon is very good and well worth splashing out on Icelandic lobsters and lamb. The walk back to the clinic in the dark is awesome - please note that it is not lit and if you are there in winter, then take a torch (or eat lots of carrots).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of a stunning lava landscape, Silica Hotel is just ten minutes' walk from the Blue Lagoon. The hotel offers its own private bathing lagoon, available for hotel guests every day from 09:00 to 22:00. The Hotel has won several design awards. Built in harmony with the surrounding landscape, it offers an oasis of calm, relaxation, and healing. The hotel has 35 bright and spacious double/twin rooms. All rooms offer private facilities and a veranda, with breathtaking views of the surrounding lava fields. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Grindavik
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel Grindavik
- Silica Hotel Iceland/Grindavik