Just back from a short 2 day visit to the Blue Lagoon Clinic which we stayed at based on other Trip Advisor reports.
If you are looking for a quiet stay with no night life this is the place for you.
Opened by the Heath Minster in 2005 it is a clinic for those with psoriasis and other ailments that benefit from the water and associated treatments.
Booking with the Clinic is really easy and the staff are as good as any 5 star hotel I have come across in my global travels.
Only 18 kilometres away from Iceland’s main airport @ Keflavik and 20 minutes in a pre booked taxi (via the Clinic) which cost us Euro 30.
Great continental style breakfast served from 07:30 – 10:00 which sets you up for the day. The Clinic pool can be used for those not attending for treatments between 08:00 – 10:00 and from 20:00 – 22:00. This night swim has some intimate dark areas for those adventurous types!
The Main Lagoon is approx 600 meters away on a path through the Lava and Moss covered fields which dominate the landscape. (Strong boots and a warm coat are needed during the winter)
Facilities at the main Lagoon include large shallow and deeper pools with rest up areas, Sauna and Steam rooms. (We ended up with sun tans) various café outlets serving snacks etc with a full a la carte restaurant which takes orders until 20:00 each night (except Sunday when the main lagoon is closed)
Clinic rooms are of and dare I say it Scandinavian style with UK TV
Missing out on the nightlife of Reykjavik you make up for with Lagoon activities on your doorstep and savings on taxis / buses and the entrance fee with a towel of Euro 27 per person.
Don’t bother going to the Pyramids go to the Blue lagoon. We are already planning our next escape!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of a stunning lava landscape, Silica Hotel is just ten minutes' walk from the Blue Lagoon. The hotel offers its own private bathing lagoon, available for hotel guests every day from 09:00 to 22:00. The Hotel has won several design awards. Built in harmony with the surrounding landscape, it offers an oasis of calm, relaxation, and healing. The hotel has 35 bright and spacious double/twin rooms. All rooms offer private facilities and a veranda, with breathtaking views of the surrounding lava fields. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Grindavik
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel Grindavik
- Silica Hotel Iceland/Grindavik