My husband and I stayed at the Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel for the first 2 nights of our trip in Iceland. We arrived very late the first night and there was someone waiting to check us in - she was very welcoming. Our first impression of our room was that it was basic and minimalistic. BUT it really had everything we needed..plus a towel warmer that was much appreciated! The beds were 100% the best part of our stay there...they were unbelievably comfortable!! We had a room facing the lava field and the back of the actual Blue Lagoon - very private and amazing views.
The hotel itself didn't feel overly comfortable or warm...but really it's a clinic so we didn't quite know what to expect. It was very quiet so when walking from one end of the hotel to our room felt a bit awkward at times, but I'd much prefer that to the place being noisy and over crowded. We spent an afternoon at the larger lagoon and also a short time at the hotel's private lagoon on our second morning. It was nice, there were only about 5 people in there with us...as opposed to the dozens that were at the blue lagoon. After leaving the clinic hotel we met many other Icelandic people on our journey and we noticed that the service and hospitality we received at this hotel did not compare to what we experienced everywhere else.
Overall I would book at this hotel again and considering the entrance fees to the BL it's worth the money to stay there...not to mention those comfortable beds! The experience of staying in this area is unbeatable!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of a stunning lava landscape, Silica Hotel is just ten minutes' walk from the Blue Lagoon. The hotel offers its own private bathing lagoon, available for hotel guests every day from 09:00 to 22:00. The Hotel has won several design awards. Built in harmony with the surrounding landscape, it offers an oasis of calm, relaxation, and healing. The hotel has 35 bright and spacious double/twin rooms. All rooms offer private facilities and a veranda, with breathtaking views of the surrounding lava fields. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Grindavik
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel Grindavik
- Silica Hotel Iceland/Grindavik