The Blue Lagoon Clinic was an idyllic property in a perfect spot. The hotel's best feature is its own patch of the Blue Lagoon, so you don't have to go to the big and touristy lagoon (though free admission is included.) All parts of the lagoon make it a striking wonder though. Having the chance to go into the lagoon anytime was ideal, and every time I stepped in, any troubles I had melted away. The silica was so soft on the bottom, and there were patches of the clinic's lagoon that were wonderfully hot.
The hotel surroundings make you feel like you're on the moon - gray/black rocks, except they have green moss. It's a perfect escape.
Good-sized contemporary rooms have tasteful Ikea furnishings. I wanted to take home the large, tall floor lamp. Each has a balcony and at night, it's extremely quiet and peaceful outside.
Breakfast is included - yogurt, juice, cereals, breads, eggs (and a one at a time boiler), plus toast, cheese and cold cuts. They have a fruit bowl in the lobby at night, and water.
They'll also make you a grilled ham and cheese sandwich up until 8 or 9 at night for an additional charge.
The staff went out of their way to take extra good care of us. It costs $300 to take a taxi from the hotel to Reykjavik round trip (40 minutes each way). You can take the bus from the Blue Lagoon for $15 per person one way, though it only runs at limited times up until 6pm off season, so if you want to stay out in Reykjavik one night, you have to suck up the $150. The hotel has to call the bus at least an hour in advance to come pick you up at the hotel (instead of an 8 minute walk away to the big Blue Lagoon). One day they called and the bus forgot to pick us up and wouldn't do anything about it afterwards when the hotel called them on it. The hotel very generously got us a taxi into town and covered the cost. We had expressed great frustration as the next bus wasn't coming for two more hours, and it was our last day there, which we wanted to spend in the city.
You will have an unforgettable time at this hotel, in its outer worldly setting. Don't hesitate to book this experience. We can't wait to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of a stunning lava landscape, Silica Hotel is just ten minutes' walk from the Blue Lagoon. The hotel offers its own private bathing lagoon, available for hotel guests every day from 09:00 to 22:00. The Hotel has won several design awards. Built in harmony with the surrounding landscape, it offers an oasis of calm, relaxation, and healing. The hotel has 35 bright and spacious double/twin rooms. All rooms offer private facilities and a veranda, with breathtaking views of the surrounding lava fields. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Grindavik
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel Grindavik
- Silica Hotel Iceland/Grindavik