I booked a surprise trip to Iceland for my husband's 40th birthday. We had a 3 nite stay at the Northern Light Inn with a visit to the blue lagoon.
I read virtually every review on here before we went and there is a mix of reviews!
Depending on what you are after this place will either suit you or not. For us it was perfect. It is in the middle of nowhere, but we enjoy the quiet.
The blue lagoon is a 10 minute walk from the hotel, through the lava fields and should be done, why get a lift when you can explore!!
There are 3 hills / mountains that surround the hotel, we chose to explore these and walked up all 3 of them in a day, amazing views from the tops with views of the sea and the glaciers.
The hotel was perfect. Clean and comfortable.
Food was delicious but expensive, but that's Iceland. We saw the Northern Lights 3 nites in a row, we were very lucky.
We couldn't fault our stay. For us it suited us perfectly. We didn't get a lift anywhere, for us it's all about exploring on foot.
The power station is mystical and adds to the character of the place, it does not smell as some have said.
Would give this place 10 out of 10.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Northern Light Inn - just 1 minute before the Blue Lagoon - is a wonderful place to see the Aurora Borealis, discover Iceland, and enjoy your getaway vacation. 32 geo-thermally heated rooms, free wifi, 24/7 honesty bar, a grand cozy fireplace, and family hospitality await you. Delicious foods from the fjords and fields of Iceland are served in Max's restaurant: ocean fresh fish, free range lamb, geo-thermal vegetables, home baked breads and cakes. 24/7 complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and home made cookies are always available in the lobby for guests, and make-your-own Icelandic waffles every day. We offer free scheduled International Airport transfers from 06:00 (05:00 from the hotel) until 21:00, and complimentary regular shuttles to the Blue Lagoon. The Northern Light inn and Max's Restaurant are 20 minutes from Keflavik International Airport KEF, 45 from Reykjavik, 3 hours from London, and less than 6 from New York. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Northern Light Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Northern Light Hotel Grindavik
- Northern Light Grindavik
- Northern Light Inn Iceland/Grindavik