“Hot water lake 30 minutes from the capital”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Lagoon

and up
Blue Lagoon Spa with Roundtrip Transport from Reykjavik
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Grindavik
More attraction details
Owner description: This geothermal lagoon has a comfortable temperature averaging 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40C) with mineral-rich waters rumored to have curative powers.
tel aviv
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Hot water lake 30 minutes from the capital”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

The Blue Lagoon is a huge artificial lake of geothermal hot water just 30 minutes drive (or bus ride) from Iceland capital Reykjavik. The entrance fee is a bit high but worth it. Even though this place is very touristic and huge groups kept on entering, it is large enough not to feel too crowded and if you go to the back of the lake you get some peace and quite as most of the people just stay close to the entrance. Mud buckets are scattered around for facial masks and relaxing water massages are available. On the day of our visit a DJ was there with very loud music but he left just a few minutes after we arrived (16:00) leaving a quite and relaxing place.

1 Thank amiadsa

118 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 405 helpful votes
“nice relaxing day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2010

warm relaxing lagoon with natural steam rooms and free body and face creams.the lagoon is actually water runoff from the thermal plant. it came with our tour otherwise it would have been about 40$.the lagoon is level and warm,yet icelanders dont go there based o the price. since they have use of cheap thermal pools throughout iceland this is a tourist spot.

2 Thank brownfootedboobie
Mississauga, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable - geothermal bath and silica mud!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

Easy to get to from Reykjavik, there are several operators that take you there. Very well run and organised. The surrounding landscape looks very forbidding. A real delight to crawl into the hot water while the surface gives off steam. Smear your face with the silica mud provided and once dried and washed off you could not have had a better facial. If I lived there I would get myself an annual pass!

Nova Scotia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

Went to Blue Lagoon for an afternoon during a stop in Iceland on our way home to Canada from Europe. What a wonderful & relaxing way to end a holiday!

We opted for the tour with Iceland Excursions (Gray Line), that picked us up at our hotel, took us to Blue Lagoon, and then dropped us off at the airport. Including the bathing fee, it was about 45 euro per person, which I thought was well worth it.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 161 helpful votes
“Overrated. Just okay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

My husband and I visited the Blue Lagoon on our way to Reykjavik from the airport. I'm not sure if our expectations were too high, or what, but we just weren't impressed by the Blue Lagoon. We paid EUR38 for entry - including towel and robe rental because it was freeezing and super windy when we arrived. For the cost, I don't feel the experience was worth it.

The facilities were very nice. The lockers are locked using your plastic bracelet, so you don't have to worry about finding a place to stick a key. The locker rooms, shower facilities and restrooms were very modern, spacious and clean. The building itself and the lagoon were very well laid out, clean and modern. The lagoon is huge, so it wasn't overly crowded, but you could tell where the "warm" spots were in the water because everyone was concentrated in those areas.

As nice as the facilities were, we grew bored really quickly. After we covered our faces in silica and enjoyed the novelty of that for a few minutes, there wasn't much else to keep us occupied - aside from spending more money to either drink at the bar or get a massage. We did eat lunch in the little snack bar, but the food was overpriced (as much of Iceland is) and just okay, not great. The water was far from warm - I was so cold my teeth were chattering, which really ruined the whole relaxing experience vibe for me. And the silica in the water wreaked total havoc on my hair - three days later I was still having trouble getting a comb through my waist-length hair because the silica had turned my hair's consistency to that of straw.

If you need a way to kill some time between your hotel and the airport and won't be staying long, I would maybe consider the lagoon, but for the price I don't think we'd go back.

3 Thank grateful_travels