“Relaxing, attractive, and good for the skin”

Blue Lagoon Iceland
Book In Advance
More Info
$127.70*
and up
Blue Lagoon Spa Including Admission and Roundtrip Transport from Reykjavik
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Grindavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Named in 2012 as one of National Geographic's “25 Wonders of the World," Blue Lagoon has evolved from its infancy as a reservoir of geothermal runoff into a world of geothermal wonder. The unique properties of its waters provide not only an enchanting lagoon experience, but also the patented, active ingredients in Blue Lagoon skin care: silica, algae, and minerals. Blue Lagoon is located in a sprawling, 800­ year ­old lava field in the heart of the Reykjanes Peninsula – a UNESCO Geopark. Just 20 minutes from Keflavík International Airport and 50 minutes from Reykjavík, Blue Lagoon is simultaneously remote and easily accessible.
Reviewed May 6, 2010

We went to the Blue Lagoon as part of a horseback riding trip with Eldhestar. After a long rainy day of riding, it was very pleasant to relax in the warm water. We gravitated toward the warmest spots because the rain water had diluted the heat a bit, but by the time we arrived the sky was blue and the scene was beautiful. I was skeptical about the benefits to the skin of the silica mud, but it did make my pores less visible and the effect lasted for several months. It also seemed to clear up some patches of rough skin. Recently I ordered some of their (expensive) products on-line to see if they will provide the same benefits that the Blue Lagoon itself did. We were told that although the water is good for the skin, it really dries out and tangles your hair so you should put on a lot of the free conditioner in the shower before entering the water and then use more afterward. That turned out to be good advice. If you think that you will keep your hair dry, you will have to miss out on standing under the waterfall for a great massage unless you have a bathing cap (and who wears them any more?).

Write a ReviewReviews (13,834)
All reviews
in 202 reviews
"pre book"
in 143 reviews

Reviewed May 4, 2010

This place is one-of-a-kind. We went in November, and it was surreal being out in the blue-white warm waters in the middle of a lava field, with snow coming down in 0^C weather. If you rented a car (which you should do if you visit Iceland), all the better -- take your time and don't rush. If not, then make sure to incorporate it on your way to the airport on the way home: it's a great, relaxing way to round off the trip, and it's closer to the airport than to Reykjavik anyway. Bus companies have special packages for this which save you a lot.

Reviewed April 25, 2010

We went with Netbus and got the cheapest deal to the Blue Lagoon then on to the airport. Make sure your trip includes entrance to the Lagoon! It boiling water and really relazing. Great to do. Use mud from around the sides to put on your face (not off the floor like some people and it's full of hairs etc) Tips for girls PLEASE TIE YOUR HAIR UP!! I wore my hair down and it was an amusing bush for days - like getting salt in it fromn the sea but X10! It took about 4-5 wash and conditions to get it back to normal. Great to do in Iceland!

Reviewed April 15, 2010

Eager for a not-too-touristy experience in Iceland, I almost skipped the Blue Lagoon in favor of one of the city pools. On the advice of an adventurous British grandma I met while hiking to a glacier's snout, I went to the Blue Lagoon, and it was a highlight of my trip. This may be a tourist destination, but it's a magnificent, relaxing place to visit. We went twice, on a leisurely Sunday, and then again on Monday morning before our flight home. The milky blue water, set in a field of moss-covered black volcanic rock, is like nothing else on Earth. There are dozens of reviews to wade through here, but here are a few tips from my days at the Blue Lagoon.

1. Nudity.
Do not worry one bit about feeling awkward in the locker rooms. As an American, the idea of public nudity struck fear in my heart, but the experience is no different than my gym here at home. Some people change and shower in the open; others choose private stalls. I ended up changing in the open (because it felt perfectly natural) but showering in private. There is AMPLE room to do either.

2. ID Bracelets.
You will open and close your locker with an ID bracelet. This process is infinitely easier if you read the instructions on the wall. It's not intuitive, so if you don't read the instructions, you'll just stand there, hopelessly confused. The instructions take 10 seconds to read and make good sense.

3. Avoiding cold air on wet skin.
As you exit the locker room, turn left instead of heading straight outdoors. Leave your towel on a hook inside, and enter the water right there. There's a door to push open on the far wall. This eliminates the (brief) discomfort of exiting the water into the cold outside air later on.

4. Hair.
Ladies, tie your hair up and try to keep it dry. Better yet, use a swim cap if you have one. I actually braided my hair, but it still got soaked. As soft as the Blue Lagoon leaves your skin, it turns hair to straw. A lot of people suggest leaving conditioner in your hair. This doesn't hurt, but it prevents nothing. The larger problem is that the silica (etc) builds up in your hair. This isn't a huge problem if you're simply headed to your hotel where you can shower again, but if you're headed to KEF for a long flight, you will be miserable. When you exit the Lagoon, no matter how crunchy it makes your hair feel at first, shampoo your hair 2-3 times. Don't just focus on the ends-- be sure to really massage the suds into your scalp, because that is where the residue sticks. You'll want to thoroughly condition too, but not until you're certain your hair and scalp are clean.

5. Crowds.
The Blue Lagoon opens at 10AM. Both days, we took the 9AM bus from Reykjavik and enjoyed an almost-empty pool. The 40 or so people on your bus may seem like a lot when you're waiting in line at the door, but the pool is huge. Arriving early makes everything-- changing showering, exploring the pool, using the sauna/steam/waterfall/mud mask more pleasant. By the time we got out of the water at about 12:30 each day, the place was filling up fast.

6. Food.
We didn't eat in the restaurant, but we did have lunch at the cafeteria both days. The sandwiches, soup, fruit, etc. are reasonably priced, and the cafeteria has a nice view of the Lagoon. We lingered there for a couple of hours and read our books before we had to leave for the airport.

7. Gift Shop.
Avoid. Completely. There is not one thing there that you can't buy for significantly less at the airport or in Reykjavik. Even the Blue Lagoon beauty products are available at the airport, where they're duty free and you don't have to wait in line to get the taxes back.

Some other assorted tips:
• I booked through Reykjavik Excursions, and it was discounted compared to the price at the door.
• Tour companies have outdated info on kids' admission rates. All kids 13 and under are free as of this writing. Make sure you point this out. For the first visit, I paid half price for my 12 yr old based on old rates.
• Do not worry one bit about visiting the Blue Lagoon before your flight. The Lagoon and the tour companies have this down to a science.

I don't think of myself as a spa person, but I loved the Blue Lagoon. I'd go back a third time in a heartbeat.

6  Thank peppah