“An interesting experience ”

Blue Lagoon Iceland
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Grindavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Named in 2012 as one of National Geographic's “25 Wonders of the World," Blue Lagoon has evolved from its infancy as a reservoir of geothermal runoff into a world of geothermal wonder. The unique properties of its waters provide not only an enchanting lagoon experience, but also the patented, active ingredients in Blue Lagoon skin care: silica, algae, and minerals. Blue Lagoon is located in a sprawling, 800­ year ­old lava field in the heart of the Reykjanes Peninsula – a UNESCO Geopark. Just 20 minutes from Keflavík International Airport and 50 minutes from Reykjavík, Blue Lagoon is simultaneously remote and easily accessible.
Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

We just had to visit the Blue Lagoon on our Iceland vacation to see what the buzz was all about! I recommend booking in advance so you are sure to get a spot. We opted for the package one step up from the basic so we could also get a free drink and an extra mask.

My experience with the locker rooms was fine, it was around 2pm and there really weren't too many people in the locker section I chose. Showering was fine, some actually kept their suits on although they advise you to shower without. You can still maintain a good deal of modesty and there are separate shower stalls. I was only thrown off by the fact that one woman had her son with her, who I thought was too old to be in the women's locker room....but what else can you do? The women's room had several attendants to give direction but my husband said the men's room was like a free-for-all and very crazy.

The pool itself was so warm and comfortable! The mist also added to the experience and we enjoyed trying the different masks, the juices, the sauna, and the steam room. We kept our towels in the locker rooms on the rack with our locker number and they were still there and dry when we got out. Just remember where your locker is or you'll have a tough time after!

I felt like the lagoon had more of a public pool feel to it, and definitely NOT a spa. There were so many kids there on the day that we went that it was impossible to relax. We would find a "quiet" spot and soon kids would come in splashing and yelling and dunking each other. We also had to dodge everyone taking pictures and selfies all over the pool. People would be bumping into us to get the perfect photo of themselves. It felt like everyone was just there to take pictures to show their friends rather than actually relax and enjoy the experience.

I wore my contact lenses in the pool and was fine. I didn't get any water in my eyes and just kept the masks off my forehead to make sure they didn't get into my eyes. I would have been very disoriented without glasses/contacts so I took the risk and brought my contact solution and glasses with me to keep in the locker. My hair was also fine with the conditioner they provide, but I really don't worry much about my hair to begin with and it's not color treated, so it's probably a different story for others.

I wish the Blue Lagoon would put a smaller cap on how many people they permit per hour. It felt crowded. It would have also been nice to have a kid-free section so people could ACTUALLY relax. I've never been to a spa with screaming kids and had to keep relocating in the pool, but perhaps it was just the day we happened to be there and not the norm. I had hoped for a more "exclusive" feel because of the price but didn't get that.

The positives were that the warm water juxtaposed with the cool air and the rain that day was really awesome. We spent the day prior doing some hiking around the golden circle so the warm water did feel great on our tired legs and backs. The masks were fun to play with and we had a good time watching everyone walk around with their masked faces! The wristbands were also a convenient way to purchase drinks and work the lockers. The staff was friendly and there was plenty of parking. We rented a car in Reykjavik and it was easy to drive there and back. All in all, I'm glad we went and saw it for ourselves, but I had some expectations that weren't met.

3  Thank Angela G
BlueLagoonIceland, Manager at Blue Lagoon Iceland, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2017

Dear Angela S,

Thank you kindly for your review.
We aim to create unparalleled experiences, therefore we value every constructive comment that we receive to improve for the better.

The Blue Lagoon Team

Write a ReviewReviews (15,878)
All reviews
in 217 reviews
"changing area"
in 159 reviews

Reviewed July 7, 2017

This is an awesome experience that everybody who visits Iceland must do. One should spend the whole day here. There is a restaurant and a cafeteria where one can grab a bite while there. For the restaurant, reservation is needed to eat. It's also a little expensive. I realized is better to eat in the cafeteria.

Dear Karlosmr,

Thank you so much for sharing a nice review.

Reviewed July 7, 2017

We came to the blue lagoon and i have to say it was an experience of a life time. My only issue was with the changing rooms or lack off, for many people this may not be an issue was it was a down point for me. They only have one changing room that i could find and it was a bit chaotic in the changing area/shower room but staff were on hand to help out and direct people. it is understandable though as its so popular.

I didnt want to take my camera or phone out but we found a lady who was taking photos and emailing them over all free of charge which i thought was a great idea.

we also found the swim up bar and swim up face masks, i loved these and thought it was great touch to the place.

overall i had a good time but probably wont go back any time soon as the changing room situation was a bit too stressful for me.

1  Thank Helen K
Reviewed July 7, 2017 via mobile

The Blue Lagoon was the first place we went to once we arrived in Iceland. It was the best decision we made. The atmosphere and the warm water is so relaxing and definitely helped soothe our sore bodies from the long trip.

We purchased our tickets months in advance and upon arriving we found two lines. The longest was for the people who didn't have tickets and the shortest was for the ones who already did.

We received electronic bracelets that you use to close your locker and to purchase drinks at the swim up bar.

The locker rooms and showers are very spacious. Everyone must shower from head to toe before entering the water. If you have a problem with nudity there is one changing room in the locker room.

The blue lagoon itself is huge and when we went around noon, there weren't too many people in the water but there was a long line in the lobby. There is soft music playing that makes the mood very relaxing. There are two swim up bars, one for beverages and one for the silica mud and algae face masks.

I read reviews before traveling to Iceland where people said this place is a tourist trap and I can see why they say this. The prices are very high compared to other natural hot pots around the country. I personally enjoyed myself immensely and would return.

2  Thank Christel R

Dear Christel R,

Thank you for a nice visit!
We hope to see you again in the near future.