“Expensive but a must do”

Blue Lagoon Iceland
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Grindavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Named in 2012 as one of National Geographic's “25 Wonders of the World," Blue Lagoon has evolved from its infancy as a reservoir of geothermal runoff into a world of geothermal wonder. The unique properties of its waters provide not only an enchanting lagoon experience, but also the patented, active ingredients in Blue Lagoon skin care: silica, algae, and minerals. Blue Lagoon is located in a sprawling, 800­ year ­old lava field in the heart of the Reykjanes Peninsula – a UNESCO Geopark. Just 20 minutes from Keflavík International Airport and 50 minutes from Reykjavík, Blue Lagoon is simultaneously remote and easily accessible.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I guess its like going to Paris and not going to see the Eiffel Tower. Its expensive to get in which did almost put us off, but its seriously the most serene, bizarre, otherworldy place to visit. I recommend going before sunset and staying until it gets dark - it becomes even more surreal. We spent several hours here - theres saunas and steam room, and massaging waterfall and plenty of benches around the edge to relax on, and a bar in the middle. very well organised and changing rooms clean. Its a busy, turisty place, but we found it was slightly quiter later on once all the tour buses had gone. There are a couple of eateries which both looked nice - the restaurant menu was massively expensive though

1  Thank Travel83_13
Write a ReviewReviews (15,868)
All reviews
in 216 reviews
"changing area"
in 158 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2014

If you want to feel like you've been to outer space then this is the place. I went there on my way back to the airport and wish I had more time there. Very relaxing place, incredible shower to clean up. Be prepared to run from the lagoon indoors because it is very cold! Food is good and fresh. Wonderful spot. People complain that it is touristy but when something is great it tends to attract a lot of people

2  Thank Gina H
Reviewed December 7, 2014

If you're in Iceland, you should visit the Blue Lagoon. It's so close to KEF airport and could be a nice wakeup after a trans-Atlantic flight or a nice way to say bless to Iceland.

First off, don't worry about luggage. For about $5, you can check larger luggage (big pieces) and you can take a backpack or handbag with you.

After you take care of luggage, head towards the main area. I purchased my tickets online the night before and was able to bypass the line and get right in. They have everything organized by bracelets. These aren't high tech but they do have a chip that helps track everything for you. If you have a small wrist like me, push it up to your bicep so it doesn't fall off in the water. You need it to get out ;).

Check out package options and buy tickets online here: www.bluelagoon.com. I bought the comfort package, which is about $75, because of the towel & bathrobe option. I believe you can rent a towel if you want the standard package which is almost half the price.

Keep in mind that the major excursion offices offer stops at Blue Lagoon to or from the airport. They have this down like clockwork and you can spend 2+ hours there. Some packages include admission but I just chose to do it separate for more flexibility. (I used Gray Line Excursions for my booking).

The experience itself is pretty amazing. I visited in late Nov on a day that was overcast and cold. I made my way to the water and once in, it was as if I was on a tropical island. The water was warm and wonderful. Swim towards the back to get the mud for face/body masks. The water isn't deep - in fact I couldn't stand up without having upper body exposed in the freezing cold. If you have have long hair, definitely put it up. If you have a swim cap, even better. It took me about 3 washings to get my hair back to normal.

Long story short, visit this place. It's an amazing and beautiful place to experience.

2  Thank Mila G
Reviewed December 7, 2014

Although it was very touristy, it was worth the experience. There isn't anywhere like it in the world. We were there while it was snowing with gusty winds. I would say going here is worth it, but only once. It was very pricy.

1  Thank Brian T
See more reviews
Reviewed December 7, 2014

Apparently 80% of all tourists go here when visiting Iceland. I watched many watching from view points above... They were blatantly well jel!

Its a very cool experience, bath water temperatures of milky blue water and snow falling from above. To be fair, there probably isn't the need to go for the premium and luxury packages, but if you do, the meal you can eat after or during is pretty damn good. I don't generally like spas they make me cringe but this is one of those exceptions.

If you make your own way there, have a look into Grindavik just down the road, startling difference in prices from Reykjavik.

1  Thank michael w