“Overrated”

and up
Blue Lagoon Spa Including Admission and Roundtrip Transport from Reykjavik
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Grindavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Named in 2012 as one of National Geographic's “25 Wonders of the World," Blue Lagoon has evolved from its infancy as a reservoir of geothermal runoff into a world of geothermal wonder. The unique properties of its waters provide not only an enchanting lagoon experience, but also the patented, active ingredients in Blue Lagoon skin care: silica, algae, and minerals. Blue Lagoon is located in a sprawling, 800­ year ­old lava field in the heart of the Reykjanes Peninsula – a UNESCO Geopark. Just 20 minutes from Keflavík International Airport and 50 minutes from Reykjavík, Blue Lagoon is simultaneously remote and easily accessible.
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I think it's overrated and hyped if you compare what you get andwhat you pay. We paid €35 pp as base entrance fee. For that you can access the pool and the 2 small sauna's outside. There are some other options where you pay more and have a towel and robe hire included as well as a free drink.

Also, putting aspartame in your healthy smooties? No, sorry, not my kind of thing.

1  Thank julesnijs
Write a ReviewReviews (13,814)
All reviews
in 202 reviews
"pre book"
in 143 reviews

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We booked premium package and we thought it was value for money. The lunch was relaxing and food was great. A lovely way to have a break before going back again. We enjoyed the drink and mud mask. Amazing. We booked the bus which went direct to blue lagoon only. You can do this cheaply but depends on what you want from the visit. We left totally relaxed and enjoyed it

Reviewed February 9, 2014

This attraction is popular with tourists, especially going to/from the airport (it is approx 45 min car drive from Reykjavik). If you don't have towels, it costs 60 euros per adult, which also includes a fetching dressing gown and drink of your choice. Etiquette requires that you shower without your bathers before entering the lagoon. There is body wash and conditioner in the shower cubicles, with the latter used to help protect the hair prior to entering the lagoon. HAIR CARE ADVICE: I wish I knew this before! Conditioner alone will not sufficiently protect your hair. High levels of silica means that when wet, your hair becomes very tangled and straw like. The only way to reduce this occurring is by keeping your hair out of the water, or preferably by wearing a swimming cap. In my experience, an intensive conditioning treatment wont resolve the issue, rather many, many shampoos!
Hair issue aside, the lagoon is a must. Bathing in the hot, milk-like water leaves you feeling soothed and rejuvenated (as well as quite hungry). Enjoy!

1  Thank fluffyfluff
Reviewed February 9, 2014

It's -14 degrees, i'm in an outdoor natural pool, it's snowing and i'm surrounded by mountains. This was truely amazing. A great way to relax and very different to the norm. Would love to go back here.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I seem to be in a minority but while I'm glad that I went to the blue lagoon for the experience, I would't go back. We had the comfort package which was included in an online package we had bought - it included robes, towels a face scrub (which I'm convinced was made by freezing the black sand at the bottom of the lagoon) and a drink. It probably wasn't worth the extra £20 and if it hadn't been included for us I wouldn't be happy paying it.
We arrived on a coach and it took us about 30minutes to get into the lagoon - the queue was leading outside into the rain and moved so slowly due to 3 channels and a lack of clear signage as to which line people were supposed to be in. Eventually someone took the initiative to come and help people into the lines and show us how to operate the locker system to speed up entry. She was the only friendly face we saw, all other staff had "don't care attitudes."
I was under the impression that the blue lagoon was a relaxing natural attraction, I was wrong on both counts. Due to the number of people it wasn't relaxing - although it was good fun - and it isn't natural, you can see the power station and the piping which gives the lagoon it's heat (although this is naturally sourced it's not quite the same thing). It was also smaller than I expected, less of a lagoon and more of a pool. The sauna and 2 steam rooms were okay - nothing special but there was a big waterfall thing that was really nice to sit under. There were pockets of boiling water which I liked to sit in, but they were quiet except for me so maybe watch out for them, especially if you have small children.
The women's changing rooms were really good, sophisticated locker system, good showers and free conditioner, soap, cotton wool pads and hair dryers. Lots of people were queuing to use the small amount of lockable changing rooms but really it's not horrible to get changed in a small room of women you'll never see again - the same with the showering situation (you are supposed to shower naked before you go in but most people are too embarrassed to bother.
Changing rooms were clean but the lagoon itself had some issues with litter and the sauna floor is pretty grim.
You aren't supposed to bring in your own food but I would if I were you. The food is overpriced and there's a poor selection, I had a ciabatta because I was so hungry, it was pretty rank. There is free water though.
It wasn't as good as I was expecting but my skin was in better condition than it's ever been for days after so something must be said for the "healing properties" people claim that the lagoon has.

2  Thank Muppet333