“Set the bar for service and experience in Iceland!!”
Review of Blue Lagoon

and up
Blue Lagoon Spa with Roundtrip Transport from Reykjavik
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Grindavik
More attraction details
Owner description: This geothermal lagoon has a comfortable temperature averaging 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40C) with mineral-rich waters rumored to have curative powers.
Nova Scotia, Canada
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Set the bar for service and experience in Iceland!!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I went to Iceland for our honeymoon and because the Blue Lagoon was a huge reason we decided to go, we splurged and got the 3 hour Romance Package in the Exclusive Lounge. Best decision ever!!

The staff made us feel like VIPs from the moment we stepped in the door. We were escorted to our private changing area, which included a large shower, robes, flip-flops, towels, lotions, other toiletries and we even had access to change the volume of our music playing in the room. When I booked the package I wasn't clear on what exactly the set up was, but there are 6 of the change rooms like we had, and 2 bathrooms for the people in those rooms to use (so 12 ppl max in the exclusive lounge). When you're ready, you go down a flight of stairs into the lounge. There's a fire place, lounge chairs, coffee, fruit, chocolates, and a private lagoon that is only for the lounge members. It was amazing!! We had booked 60 minute salt scrub and glow massages which are done outside the private area. At first it's intimidating but once you get in the water and the massage starts it's all relaxation. I was worried that my husband would find it awkward, but he loved it just as much as I did. In hindsight it would have been nice if we scheduled the massages outside of our lounge time because although we were there for almost 4 hours, the time flew by.

After our massages, we ordered dinner and drinks directly to the lounge and it was very good. We ate in our robes and because there were only a couple other people using the lounge at the time it was very private. It felt like we had the whole thing to ourselves! After dinner we were each given a lava scrub and an algae mask which felt great.

I purposely left my comments about the staff until the end because the person who was dedicated to the lounge deserves a special shout out. I wish I had written down his name, I think it may have been Askor but I could be wrong. Regardless, the service he provided was top notch. He made us feel so comfortable, and was ready to get us anything we needed before we even asked. After our massages, he came out to the lagoon to tell us we didn't have to go back for original robes that we had hung up - he just brought us new ones so it was easier for us. He arranged our table and chairs for our private dinner, and brought in a waiter from the restaurant (she was also very nice), took pictures for us, and went on a hunt for those scrubs that we got at the end - yes some of this was just included in the package, but it was his customer service that really made our experience over the top. It didn't feel like he was just doing his job, it felt like he was genuinely happy for us and he really helped us get our trip started off on the best foot possible. As my husband was paying, he even took me into the store and helped me find the algae mask that we had used. I ended up buying some skin care - it really did make my face feel great.

When we go back to Iceland some day, we will go to the Blue Lagoon and we will definitely splurge on the Romance Package again. No question it is expensive, but with everything you get out of it the experience is so worth it!!

5 Thank smicken

66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“A Milky Blue Heaven!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

A crack of dawn start from home, then nearly three hours on a jet had my muscles all knotted and cramped up. We arranged airport collection with 'Bus Travel' online, they dropped us here then at the end of our soak took us on to our hotel. Two minutes after arriving at Blue Lagoon, we'd stored our luggage, hired towels and robes and I was in a hot pre-soak shower (obligatory and without your costume!). Then we walked through the changing room doors and out into a huge spa pool of milky-blue, gently steaming, mineral rich geo-thermal water. There are several small side pools off the main, plus a sauna and with some wooden walkways and bridges around. There's also a small pool bar where we got a delicious slushie with the unfortunate name of 'Krap' The water is mostly at warm-bath temperature, but there are also hotter spots which you find as you move around the pools - all of which are below chest depth and some are much shallower. In the centre is a geyser behind a safety barrier, which is spouting boiling water and has a permanent cloud of steam above it. There's also a hot waterfall which gives an invigorating massage! The weather can be really cold/raining/snow and all you feel is toasty with the water and steam. The minerals in the water are supposed to be good for all manner of skin conditions, and there are mud stations where you can lather it all over if you wish. All in all a little piece of heaven.

Visited October 2013
Northallerton, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“What a fabulous find!!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had been recommended to go here and decided to call in on our way to the airport. Quite pricy, 5711 krone about £30 so allow plenty of time to get value for money! It's worth booking tickets in advance to jump the queue, we actually booked on line while we were standing in the queue! Very well organised with magnetic wristbands that operate the lockers and also use to buy drinks and pay on departure. You need to shower without clothes on before going into the lagoon (no modesty here!) including your hair, put plenty of conditioner on before going in to protect your hair, free in the showers. Free silica at the side of the lagoon to use as a face pack but don't get any in your eyes, it's very gritty! Very odd feeling when you get out, we felt like spacemen must feel coming back to gravity!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Carol504009
London, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Good fun to do before a flight”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I'll start by saying I would never plan on spending a day here, so don't devote a whole day of your holiday to hanging out in a large bath. I reckon two hours is a pretty good maximum.

The lagoon does become jam packed full of tourists in high season but the lagoon is big enough for it not to be overcrowded. I would say the first time we visited (November 2011) to have been our favourite visit as the lagoon was quiet and the freezing cold air added something special to the experience. The bar in all weathers is great fun :)

I would definately go and try it once at least, as we usually hate all that really hyped up tourist stuff, but we do enjoy this.

Tips;

Don't hire a robe, unless you're going to lounge around outside the pool or spend ages walking around. You don't really need one as you will hang it up about four metres out of the door into the fresh air from the building and only put it back on on your return. Also take your own towel.

Waterproof cameras are allowed (I'm not sure how they would feel about someone rocking up with a encased SLR though) and the lagoon can produce some interesting photography.

Fully saturate your hair in the provided conditioner (in the shower cubicles), especially those with long hair otherwise your hair will be straw like for weeks and it will take several deep treatments to get it feeling right again.

The are no swimming costume spinners or dryers, but there are little plastic bags provided.

3 Thank flint_joe
Staines, United Kingdom
225 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Wow and wow!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

What a wonderful place. Well organised trip to the Blue Lagoon. Booked it before we went so we went straight in. They provide a locker for your clothes and give you a wristband to open/close this. Great facilities, you need to take a shower before you go into the lagoon. They provide shower gel and hair conditioner. I would recommend that you cover your hair in conditioner and do not get it wet in the lagoon. The water is lovely and hot and so relaxing. You can get face mask at the side of the lagoon. We went to the sauna and steam room which were great. Very refreshing and would definitely go again.