“Blue Lagoon” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Blue Lagoon Spa with Roundtrip Transport from Reykjavik
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Grindavik
More attraction details
Owner description: This geothermal lagoon has a comfortable temperature averaging 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40C) with mineral-rich waters rumored to have curative powers.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
108 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Blue Lagoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

Excellent!
This was so good that we went twice on our recent trip to Iceland.
The scenery is amazing, unlike anything I have seen before, it's worth taking a walk aroung the front lagoon before you go in if you have time.
On the first day we did the Blue Lagoon Experience which included a 3 course lunch, scrub or mask and a drink in the lagoon and it was well worth it.
The second time we just did the bascic package and still had a great day.
It is very bright in the lagoon due to the silica so take your sunglasses in with you!

Visited April 2013

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Brilliant experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is an amazing place! Approaching in the bus you see swathes of steam rising in the air. Part of it is the geo-thermal plant next to the Blue Lagoon, but some of it is the attraction itself. This isn't a cheap experience but in my opinion well worth the money. It cost us 8000 krone (about £42) each which included the bus from Reykjavik, but kids under 11 or 12 do get in free. The first thing is to get a locker key (technology!) and get changed. Mine didn't work to start with so got a bit confused, but once I'd got the hang of it, it is a good system, and the lockers are a resonable size. But they need to be with all coats and clothes you go in with! Once changed into bathing costume you have the choice of entering the warm water from inside the building or braving the short walk outside in the cold to the main pool. I was brave! I have a reputation in the family for avoiding swimming pools on holiday, and I always say it is about the temperature of the water being too cold. Now I have proved it, as I had no problem at all getting into the warm waters of the Blue Lagoon. It really is like getting into a hot bath!!! There are even hotter spots as you make your way around the pool, relaxing and enjoying the sensation of hot bathing in cold air. You can feel the healing minerals in the water as you move around. If you want to you can get an algae facemask or have some kind of massage. I didn't bother with that bit. There is also a sauna in that area. One weird sensation is the algae around your feet but it's not everywhere and the rest of the floor feels like sand. We spent an hour in the steamy waters, then braved the cold air again getting out. In the showers you can use some of the Blue Lagoon products that you can buy in the shop. The hand cream is great!
After dressing we had dinner in the Blue Lagoon restaurant, a classy establishment overlooking the pool. They do various set menus to keep the price down, though still a little pricy, but the food was excellent, beautifully presented. There is also a cheaper informal cafe if you don't want to go that far. Altogether a brilliant experience!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank EssexLin1
Denver, Colorado
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Worth a visit, but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I visited the Blue Lagoon Easter weekend. I enjoyed it, but there were a few things that surprised me. 1. The website said the regular entrance fee got you a towel. When I got there, it was not included. 2. The website doesn't mention this, but there is a notice of it at the Blue Lagoon...women should wear a shower cap. I did not wear a shower cap, but I put conditioner in my hair before I went in. It didn't help. My hair felt like straw for days and was impossible to comb. Definitely wear hair protection of some sort. 3. The temperature of the Blue Lagoon is weather dependent. It was cold outside when I went and I was very disappointed that the lagoon was tepid at best. I was hoping for really hot and muscle soothing.

The other thing to mention is that the Blue Lagoon is closer to the airport than to Reykjavik so it makes the most sense to fly into the airport, have the shuttle take to you to the Blue Lagoon and then go to Reykjavik. It'll save time.

They have nice showers and great lockers. Try the silica mud, but don't rub too hard getting it off as it is like a salt and will irritate sensitive skin.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank SJ B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Worth the Stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Visited before checking into our hotel in Reykjavik. Was a bit annoyed that our plane landed at 6:30 AM and the Lagoon didn't open until 10:00 AM, so we had to drive around and wait for it to open. It was very beautiful - I loved to just relax after the flight from the US. This was a great way to start the trip, but very expensive. Also, the employees in the women's shower room could be a little more friendly, It was a pretty busy day there so there were lots of young kids everywhere, which was a bit annoying, but it was large enough to swim away. Worth the trip just be aware.

Visited March 2013
Guildford, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Worth every penny.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

This should be a must for anyone visiting Iceland. My boyfriend and myself spent the whole day there, we bought a package that included a towel, bathrobe, drink, face mask and three course meal. Yes, what may have seemed a little pricey at the time was 100% worth every penny. The food was delicious, the lagoon relaxing and the overall experience cannot be beaten. If I ever return to Iceland, which I am certain I will, this will be one of the first things on my list.

Visited November 2012