“great fun”

$251.11*
Viking Horse-Riding Tour and Blue Lagoon Including Admission Fee
$174.58*
and up
City Sightseeing Tour by Minibus and Blue Lagoon Including Admission with...
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Grindavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Named in 2012 as one of National Geographic's “25 Wonders of the World," Blue Lagoon has evolved from its infancy as a reservoir of geothermal runoff into a world of geothermal wonder. The unique properties of its waters provide not only an enchanting lagoon experience, but also the patented, active ingredients in Blue Lagoon skin care: silica, algae, and minerals. Blue Lagoon is located in a sprawling, 800­ year ­old lava field in the heart of the Reykjanes Peninsula – a UNESCO Geopark. Just 20 minutes from Keflavík International Airport and 50 minutes from Reykjavík, Blue Lagoon is simultaneously remote and easily accessible.
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Spent the morning of my birthday here with friends and had a great time, having a drink while relaxing in an outdoor lake of warm water, while everywhere else outside is freezing was a great experience. helping ourselves to the face masks, and making use of the sauna and steam room all added to the fun.
The staff in the changing room were a little intimidating insisting on us showering naked before putting our costumes on and going into the lagoon which seemed a bit pointless. Don't bother hiring a robe unless you plan on spending a long time there and having treatments as they work out expensive for a short visit, take your own towel.
Relax and enjoy this amazing place I'm sure there is nowhere esle like it.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

..too many people talking about this place like about overpriced ..but this is not the truth.

..every cent you pay here for the entrance, the spa threathments ..it worth it! Where you can find something similar for less money?!!! I would like to know! Cause it doesn´t exist ..anything like that.

..I really enjoyed there one day, yesterday ..and I am sure, I will come back again! with my friends, family and everybody they love to enjoy spa!

I love this place!

1  Thank MartinaKasubova
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We visited this attraction on the day of our arrival to Iceland and as I was still taking in the dramatic scenery, I personally felt at the time the Blue Lagoon was a unique experience and still is.

We stayed at the nearby Northern Lights Inn, where there was an inclusive transfer from the accommodation to the Lagoon. After we settled in, we packed our day bag* and visited the Blue Lagoon after 1pm.

On arrival to the Lagoon, we paid €30 (I think?) for the use of the pool, excluding the towel at €5, as we had our own from our hotel. At reception, they issued us with a wristband, which has a microchip that enable entry to the pool and is used to purchase items, for example, drinks, meals, spa treatments etc. The wristband is then scanned at the exit point when the final bill is paid. My wristband was a little loose and it kept falling off, so I wished I had noticed this at the start and gotten a better one.

THE EXPERIENCE:-

After I had used changing facilities, by changing into my bikini, removing all jewellery (as I wasn’t sure what the silica would do to it), I entered the indoor acclimatising pool. I then heading outside, leaving my towel at the rails. My hotel towel was yellow and that stood out from the many blue towels given by the Lagoon, so I knew which was mine.

On the day I visited in November it was freezing outside and was snowing, but the pool was really warm, hot at times and lovely. My first impression was that the pool was massive; however the bathing area is sectioned off from the larger flooded area. It is located in a really dramatic setting. The weather was mixed and provided some create camera shots, with the low sun, clouds and steam.

Within the bathing area, there is a bar (maximum of 3 alcoholic drinks allowed), various bathing and seating platforms, pots filled with the silica facial mask and a waterfall for massaging. The depth of the pool varies and the temperature fluctuates too depending on the thermal movement.

The only thing that I thought was unpleasant was the sludgy floor, that on closer inspection (whilst trying to get the silica from the bottom) I noticed the floor is filled with other people’s hair, which I wished I hadn’t seen.

My boyfriend and I stayed in the pool for about 3.5 hours and after we had used the changing facilities, we went to the café for a beer. Onsite, there is also a restaurant, gift shop and a hotel. My boyfriend bought my Christmas present in the shop, which was a pair of silver earrings, with a lava stud encased – beautiful.

Overall, the Lagoon was excellent, very relaxing and would go back again.

*WHAT TO TAKE:-

The Lagoon does provide a lot of things, but as I wasn’t sure what, before I left the hotel I packed a day bag which included: a hotel towel (that was allowed), my bikini, flip flops (not needed in the end as bare foot is fine), hair bobble, waterproof watch and a plastic bag for wet items (Lagoon provided them too). My boyfriend packed a waterproof digital camera in a sealed casing.

WHAT THE LAGOON PROVIDES:-

A towel is provided, at a surcharge. There are lockers in the changing room and whilst the Lagoon does cater for shampoo, conditioner and shower gels, it is a personal choice to bring toiletries. I have long hair and I tried to use the Lagoon’s shampoo, but it felt too dry, so I used my own and that was a little nicer. In the ladies changing room (not sure about the men’s) there was a dressing table, with a mirror and stools, with cotton wool and cotton buds, tissues and hair drier. I took also my make-up items and deodorant. As I mentioned before, for wet items, there are plastic bags provided, but they didn’t have a spin drier, which I thought was the only item missing, as they’ve pretty much thought of everything else!

12  Thank Lisa-Marie1980
Reviewed January 8, 2013

my one star rating isn't for the actual lagoon itself. the lagoon is one of the most beautiful places i've ever encountered. it's stunning. i know there are reviews of it being dirty, but i didn't sense that at all when i was there.

my one star rating is regarding the exclusive lounge. my visit last year, i didn't make a reservation, and when i arrived i was offered the exclusive lounge as there were still "rooms" available. as i felt it was pricey, i still opted to try it as i was done spending my time in the public areas of the more local pools. the lounge area was simple and nice. the best part was a private cell. in that cell i could leave my belongings feeling they were safely kept. my own shower, products, mirror, an area to get ready. small cell, but the size was adequate. in my opinion, the cell is the true and only benefit of the lounge.

i walked away thinking i paid a lot of money but was satisfied. i am returning to Iceland and planned to reserve the lounge only to find out it has nearly tripled in cost. almost 400 US Dollars for THREE hours of use! absolutely absurd! in my opinion, the lounge has completely lost its value. the majority of the three hours is in the lagoon, i am appalled that they raise the prices so drastically. i sent an email to the sales department to verify the prices and they replied confirming they have been raised from last year.

i realized it would be cheaper to rent one of their hotel rooms for the three hours in order to have the private experience.

we are now considering not going back. i wish i had checked out the public areas while there. but i felt i had paid a decent amount of money for three hours use of the lounge, so i didn't want to risk losing any of my experience.

maybe if you have money to burn, even then...i'd advise spending your 400 dollars elsewhere.

2  Thank aztcdw
Reviewed January 8, 2013

A friend of ours recommended us to experience the Blue Lagoon the VIP way in the exclusive lounge. If you can afford it I would not do it any other way.
We initially asked some questions online via the website and a gentleman by the name of Omar was efficient in answering any questions I had and took it upon himself to make the restaurant booking.
We arrived by Reykjavik Excursions at 9.50am. It leaves the main bus terminal at 9am and then every hour. I believe they will pick you up at the hotel at n extra charge although this takes an extra half an hour and we did not want to have a tour of every hotel in Reykjavik. The cost without admission RETURN was only 3200kr per person, this was much cheaper than a taxi ride. We found out first hand how expensive taxis can be when we got one from the airport to Reykjavik at 15200kr. (Ouch).
They are very strict with their opening time at the Blue Lagoon and this is 10am so after a short wait we were served and said we had booked the exclusive package and were passed onto Omar who I had previously made the booking with. Omar then issued us with green bracelets and not the blue ones everyone else has. Then we were guided to our own private change area/room that we had to ourselves, and shown the exclusive lounge were fresh fruit, nespresso, an open fire, relaxation lounges, water, magazines, and our own indoor thermal spa was available. There is a maximum of 6 couples on any one day and we were lucky enough to share this total area with only one other couple who were our friends. You are supplied with towels, robes, slippers - you only need to bring your bathers. You also have your own private grotto and access the main lagoon via a private entrance only accessible electronically via the green bracelet. You are given two free drinks at the bar each, whatever you want, an algae mask and volcanic rock mask are also included and taken from the bar, also 2 x 30 minute in-water massages are included and were truly exceptional. You are allowed to use the exclusive lounge for 4 hours and then you get changed exit and go to the restaurant where you can dine on anything you want up to 12000kr per couple and if you go over you simply pay the difference. If I was to criticise anything, it would be the restaurant. The food was great although the wait and service was terrible considering there were only four other tables dining at 2.45pm.the staff basically ignored us and they seemed scared to interact with any of the patrons ( I found this weird and not common of the Icelandic people ). We then returned by coach which left at 4.15pm and returned to the hotel. Overall an amazing experience and although expensive @ 60000 kr per couple, I would not want to do it any other way. The lagoon gets crowded and this way is similar to having access to a business lounge whilst waiting at he airport but with a personalised touch. Do it if you can afford it, and you will probably only come here once in a lifetime. Be crazy!

4  Thank Hollywood1973