“Aurora Tour”
Review of Volcano Tours

Volcano Tours
Ranked #4 of 12 things to do in Grindavik
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer luxury jeep tour to lava caves and craters in the Reykjanes peninsula as well as a trip to see aurora borealis if they are expected to show....... more » We offer luxury jeep tour to lava caves and craters in the Reykjanes peninsula as well as a trip to see aurora borealis if they are expected to show. The trip starts at your Hotel or Blue Lagoon and takes about 6 hours, at the end of the trip we can drop you off at your hotel or at the blue lagoon. No hiking or caving experience requiered, we supply warm overalls, gloves and helmets with lights
Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Aurora Tour”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

After catching a glimpse of the Northern Lights from our Hotel we decided the next morning to book The Aurora Tour for that evening. Our guide-'Clint' (being English we didn't stand a chance of pronouncing his Icelandic name!) arrived to collect us from the hotel at 7.45pm as arranged. Filled with anticipation-it was a beautiful cloudless sky full of stars-and entertained by Clint's tales of life on the Island we arrived at our destination which was in the middle of a very dark field away from all light pollution.. We were joined by Clint's father and 4 more tourists in another jeep. Fueled by flasks of hot choc and coffee we were rewarded with the most awesome display-an 8 out of 10 on the scale Clint said! We did not know at the time but a coronal mass ejection had been hurled from the sun 3 days earlier. Thanks to Clint's expert knowledge of the area we had witnessed the display from the perfect position.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Trudi B

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Last day in Iceland.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

After doing a very 'touristy' trip with a bigger company, I decided that I wanted to experience a different side to Iceland. I booked the volcano trip to Reykjanes throught the Tourist Information Centre the day before but was unsure if it was possible since I was the only one booked for that day (most tours require a min. of 2 people) He arrived the next morning and I did indeed have the tour to myself! He was very chatty, spoke great English and was very informative about the volcanoes/lava fields. Being in the car, we were able to drive right down to a lake, something which couldn't have been done in a coach! He showed me the hot springs and pointed out amazing volcan/rock formations (as well as letting me pick up some lava rocks to take home) Lunch was at Grindavik (where he was from) and lunch was in the oldest house (his office!) and provided by his wife. I walked across the Europe/American Continental plates, was shown The Blue Lagoon (far too touristy for me) and was taken down into a lava tube.
OK, this tour is a little more expensive than the coach tours but you pay for a smaller group, the experience, the great guide ans supporting a smaller Icelandic company. I only wish I had had another day to do his other tour. Thank you so much!!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Lisa F
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great day!”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

What a great day we had on this tour! We booked this volcano tour at almost midnight last night and were not sure about getting up early for an 8hr trip. We are glad we did. Several waterfalls ( you get to hike behind a beautiful waterfall), a trip to the glacier and a crazy trip on the river bed make this a fun filled day. The highlight was a nice long hike through a canyon to another secluded waterfall - some fun climbing and crossing the river on foot to get to a secluded area with another waterfall.

Clint, our driver was a fun and interactive guide. He kept us busy and had a lot of interesting facts to share. His knowledge not only covers Iceland, it's history, trolls, elves and the eruptions... But politics and religion, too! All in good fun - it was a great day.

1 Thank EatnGrapes
Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A very enjoyable day”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We did the E15 view after eruption, including two waterfalls and a tour to end of the Thorsmork park at the Stakkholtsgja canyon.
The bookimg process went smoothly, pickup on time, comfortable Toyata Landcruiser 4WD vehicle, and returned on time.
Our guide, Hlynur, was friendly, knowledgeable and full of interesting stories about the history, geology and culture of the places we saw. Our guide was a skilled and safe off-road driver. He accompanied us throughout the entire tour.
We would not hesitate to recommend Volcano Tours, Grindavik, to our friends.

Visited May 2012
New York, NY
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“not worth it”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I really wish I could give this tour a better rating because the people who run the company are so nice, however this is just really not a good value at all. The tour is fine, we had a nice enough day, however it is GROSSLY overpriced. The guide is not a guide at all, but really just a driver. We paid 28,900 kronas for what was basically a day in the back of a Toyota SUV with suspension problems (she ended up bruised and I ended up with a sore back). On top of that, the place they take you for a lunch break (which is not included in the cost) has an extremely small selection of very unappetizing food. The final straw for me was when they took us to the volcano visitor center to watch a movie and we had to pay for the movie ourselves.
While they do take you to some interesting places, there is absolutely no reason why the tour should cost this much. I am actually considering contacting the tourism bureau about the price gauging.

Visited February 2012