“An all round good experience ”
Review of Lava Restaurant

Lava Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 14 Restaurants in Grindavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Scandinavian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: LAVA Restaurant combines modern design with the wild spirit of Icelandic nature. Built into a stunning lava cliff, with views over the lagoon, it is an unforgettable setting for a relaxed lunch, a family dinner or a romantic evening meal.
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Three things , great food - Chefs Menu , great service - waiters were friendly knowledgeable and fun and great surroundings ....Blue Lagoon . It was far better than I expected from a restaurant at such a touristy location . It's a must go , must eat place .

Write a ReviewReviews (2,152)

Reviewed August 9, 2014

It was about average in cost for all Iceland Hotels - but that means it is double what I would pay at home. We did the chef's choice which gave some nice options and it was not a problem for my husbands to be modified so he didn't have the lobster which he is allergic too. It is a beautiful restaurant but for some reason they seat everyone right next to each other even though it wasn't busy. Be sure to see the viewing deck upstairs.

1  Thank eamcgovern
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were visiting the Blue Lagoon - via a cruise ship port stay (overnight). We both were expecting a tourist trap of a restaurant but were presently surprised.

Lots of good choices. The beef/beef cheeks was excellent and perfectly cooked. My wife had the fish was which equally good.

The menu is set up ala carte or a prefixed dinner. The prefixed was only offered with the beef.

Ran around $90 pp without wine. So it is expensive. Their web site does list the menu and reservations are accepted.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had a very short timeframe to eat lunch before heading to an ATV adventure, but we took our chances with this restaurant that obviously did not specialize in fast food. We were impressed. We told the waitress that we had a very short time for lunch, and they were very accommodating. The waitresses we encountered were very nice.

My boyfriend ordered the fish special, and a few minutes later when he found out it was catfish, he asked if he could change the order. The waitress pleasantly agreed, and they made the order a priority. We were able to get all our food within a short time. Apparently, some other people have had the opposite experience. If you are on a schedule, I recommend you let them know.

I had a two course vegetarian set menu. The salad was superb, absolutely delicious and one of the best I've ever had. The main course was a glazed and grilled broccoli with brussels sprouts and quinoa. It was fine, but the salad very immensely better.

My boyfriend's meal was great. He had langoustines and another fish, I think it may have been cod. Both his appetizer and entree were very tasty.

Beautiful ambiance. It was an expensive lunch, but for another trip we would return.

1  Thank sacredphi
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We (2 adults and 2 children, 6 & 9) ate in Lava after an afternoon at Blue Lagoon. Whilst prices (for adults meals) are high, taking advantage of the fact that it's got a captive audience, it's no more than its equivalent in Reykyavik and the food is outstanding - my beef was cooked just as asked and beautifully presented and the same was true of the ling my wife had. Service is attentive, with plenty of bread and Icelandic Water 'on tap' - the latter being a great way of keeping the bill manageable. Kids meals are also excellent value. If you're in Blue Lagoon and have therefore already spent a small fortune to visit, the extra investment to eat at Lava isn't that much and worth doing to conclude your visit

1  Thank CTID73