“Good Food But Soulless & Service Slow”
Review of Lava Restaurant

Lava Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Grindavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Scandinavian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: LAVA Restaurant combines modern design with the wild spirit of Icelandic nature. Built into a stunning lava cliff, with views over the lagoon, it is an unforgettable setting for a relaxed lunch, a family dinner or a romantic evening meal.
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Food at Lava was good. We had the Icelandic tasting menu. Only problem was waitress clearly did not understand Gluten Free. Had to explain several times need to leave bread out or to one side and when the dessert came it came with a biscuit base so I couldn't have any!

Given there were only a few of us in the restaurant at the time the service could have been a lot better although the male waiters were much better bringing our food than the girl serving us.

Restaurant could have had more ambiance, felt a bit canteen like.

1  Thank lhrsydjfk
There are newer reviews for Lava Restaurant

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I went during the Blue Lagoon Chill event and was incredibly impressed with the service our waiter was very friendly even though he was busy.

The food was second to none and I thought the beer matching on the menu was an inspired touch. Well worth dropping in.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Over priced food. Really small portions. Slow and poor service.
We started with mussels. I should I say mussel !! Basically, half a dozen mussels all of which would have easily fitted on a dessert spoon. Followed by a selection of Icelandic cheeses which were very tasty and I would have really enjoyed had I had more than 2 to 3 small broken biscuits. We asked for a glass of wine which was not forthcoming so gave up completely. We asked for the bill which came after 5-10 minutes but had to actually go up to the bar to pay as no-one came back to take our payment
Staff had forgotten to allocate the allowance of 4600 IK per person which our package entitled us to. After a great deal of huffing in puffing in Icelandic we were eventually given a revised bill. To be honest apart from the fab view of the Lagoon through the restaurant windows I would give it a miss.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I stopped in here after a dip in the Blue Lagoon. We each had a multi-course meal, and they were mainly delicious (I'd avoid the langoustine, as any New Englander knows, shellfish needs to be doused in butter and lemon; it was served close to plain here. It's served much better in Reykjavik).

Our initial service was great; we were seated immediately at the best table in the house (we were the first in) but were followed shortly by an older couple (not elderly; I must stress this...an older couple) who were seated at the table next to ours and seemed to get preferential treatment to us. My girlfriend got her glass of wine when drinks were brought out, and then they took mine to the next table presuming the gentleman there must have ordered it. Despite our menus being closed first, the next table had a waiter waiting and ready for their order, while ours went in several minutes later. They were offered a check without asking (an anomaly in Iceland, so we assumed this restaurant was catered towards tourists) so we waited for ours. And waited. And waited. We looked over at the waitstaff multiple times but they didn't seem to pay attention to us. After 20 minutes, we finally went to the register to pay, and left slightly annoyed by the fact that the table next to us, close enough in a quiet restaurant to unintentionally eavesdrop, got noticeably better service.

I must clarify that the host was excellent and funny, and he made sure our bill went through as soon as he saw us waiting at the register, but I'm confused as to why the rest of the staff seemed to ned over backwards for the table next to us but not for us. Isn't our money as good as theirs, especially considering the prices?

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was my 40th birthday dinner and I had HIGH expectations. LAVA delivered... elegant and imaginative platings of beautifully prepared food, served by lovely people in an unforgettable setting - what else could you ask for? They offered a few prix fixe options - my husband combined selections from a few of the menus for a small additional fee and the team at LAVA was very accommodating. Everything was amazing. I ordered the vegetarian menu because it looked so great - and it was. Check out their menu online before you go as it is changing with the seasons. We'll go back to LAVA to try all the items we never got to this time around.
The only hiccup was that my husband has arranged via email for a surprise to be brought to the table during dinner - and the message never got passed on to the front of house staff. They solved it instantly, however, with great apology, by comping us a bottle of sparkling wine. Sometimes great service is in HOW you fix a mistake.

2  Thank karimacdear