“Great food, slow service”
Review of Lava Restaurant

Lava Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Grindavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: LAVA Restaurant combines modern design with the wild spirit of Icelandic nature. Built into a stunning lava cliff, with views over the lagoon, it is an unforgettable setting for a relaxed lunch, a family dinner or a romantic evening meal.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had lunch at the Lava Restaurant after swimming in the Blue Lagoon before leaving for the airport. I had the fish of the day which was Cat Fish and that was very fresh and deliciously cooked. Some of my friends had the lamb and they said that was very nice too. The service was rather very slow though.
The setting of the restaurant was amazing, we could just sit there and watch people swimming in the lagoon with the steam coming off the hot water.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,964)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The chicken here was delicious, really moist with a great risotto. It was a little overpriced but worth it if you need a substantial meal (as opposed to eating a sandwich at the cafe). Service could be a lot better (had to ask for water refills and for the check).

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The restaurant is spatious with a great view of the blue lagoon.

Whether ordering a la carte or eating the lunch buffet, you'll definitely enjoy the fresh seafood.

Take a light lunch before enjoying the hot water pool or take your time and enjoy a 2 or 3 course meal.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

The sushi appetizer was exquisite. We then had the turbot, which was nice, but a bit too citrus-y. The fish itself was nicely prepared so we just avoided the chunky part of the sauce. The setting was amazing, as we had just come out of the lagoon so it was cool too see the steam coming off of the hot water and watching people swim by (when it was 35 degrees, extremely windy and raining outside!) Dessert sounded good (and the next table's offerings were tempting), but we had eaten too much to have any room. Great location and well worth the money.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We reluctantly dined at the Lava Restaurant as we missed the 19.15 bus back to Reykjavik for our meal and the next bus was at 21:00!! We wanted a hot meal so opted for the Lava Restaurant rather than the Blue Lagoon cafe.

Service was rather poor, we waited for ages at the entrance waiting to be shown to a table. 5 waiter/ess passed us several times and ignored us! We were about to give up and resort to the cafe as we felt we were being ignored. Finally we were shown to a table.

My 10 year old ordered from the Children's menu which was excellent value at 950 Kr. I ordered a vegetarian lasagne which was priced at 4650 Kr (!!!!!) We were given complimentary mini plate of salmon - which was a nice thought, but unfortunately I don't eat fish at all, and my daughter wasn't keen on it! Our food arrived and I was shocked to find that at approx £23, I was given a plate with a tiny portion of lasagne less than the size of my fist and I have petite hands! My daughter's kids meal was more substantial! It was quite disappointing and the lasagne did taste good, just wasn't enough to satisfy my hunger.

The bread came after we had finished our main course, which was a pity as we would have enjoyed eating it before the meal. We weren't in the mood to eat it after the main meal. We had to ask for the water carafe to the refilled and it was difficult to find a waiter/ess as they were at the back. It took a while to ask for the bill as we didn't want to miss the bus again!!

My daughter had a chocolate cover ice-cream lolly after the meal which was included in the price of the kids meal.

The plus of the place is that it is in beautiful surroundings and the Blue Lagoon is beautiful at night. The kids menu is excellent value.

At a total of 5600kr for a missed bus, this was an expensive mistake! We could easily find a decent restaurant in Reykjavik for half the price!