“Don't miss your bus back!”
Review of Lava Restaurant

Lava Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 14 Restaurants in Grindavik
Cuisines: Seafood, Scandinavian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: LAVA Restaurant combines modern design with the wild spirit of Icelandic nature. Built into a stunning lava cliff, with views over the lagoon, it is an unforgettable setting for a relaxed lunch, a family dinner or a romantic evening meal.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We reluctantly dined at the Lava Restaurant as we missed the 19.15 bus back to Reykjavik for our meal and the next bus was at 21:00!! We wanted a hot meal so opted for the Lava Restaurant rather than the Blue Lagoon cafe.

Service was rather poor, we waited for ages at the entrance waiting to be shown to a table. 5 waiter/ess passed us several times and ignored us! We were about to give up and resort to the cafe as we felt we were being ignored. Finally we were shown to a table.

My 10 year old ordered from the Children's menu which was excellent value at 950 Kr. I ordered a vegetarian lasagne which was priced at 4650 Kr (!!!!!) We were given complimentary mini plate of salmon - which was a nice thought, but unfortunately I don't eat fish at all, and my daughter wasn't keen on it! Our food arrived and I was shocked to find that at approx £23, I was given a plate with a tiny portion of lasagne less than the size of my fist and I have petite hands! My daughter's kids meal was more substantial! It was quite disappointing and the lasagne did taste good, just wasn't enough to satisfy my hunger.

The bread came after we had finished our main course, which was a pity as we would have enjoyed eating it before the meal. We weren't in the mood to eat it after the main meal. We had to ask for the water carafe to the refilled and it was difficult to find a waiter/ess as they were at the back. It took a while to ask for the bill as we didn't want to miss the bus again!!

My daughter had a chocolate cover ice-cream lolly after the meal which was included in the price of the kids meal.

The plus of the place is that it is in beautiful surroundings and the Blue Lagoon is beautiful at night. The kids menu is excellent value.

At a total of 5600kr for a missed bus, this was an expensive mistake! We could easily find a decent restaurant in Reykjavik for half the price!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,152)

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel so there are not many choices for places to eat. I did not expect the quality as you do in the city.

In the end, food was excellent. The Spinach Lasagna was pleasurable surprise. Service wasn't great and they didn't have to be because we had no choices in the area. Restaurant decor and view of blue lagoon at night was beautiful.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had to wait 45 minutes for desert, didn't have a knife and fork for my main, and no one offered us a drink! Food was great though.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was a mediocre buffet that was a bit overpriced. But, the location was good. As a captive audience, this restaurant has locked in clients so they don't have to try hard. A bit over priced and not many vegetarian options but, great views and great location.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stopped here for lunch as part of an organised tour. I would say it was OK but nothing more. Had much better food elsewhere and it really just at the side of a road and a bit upmarket service stationy.