“The reasons it is ranked #19”

Holiday Inn Express Springfield
Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Mobile, Alabama
“The reasons it is ranked #19”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed at this property at the beginning of October. This is the worst Holiday Inn Express I have ever stayed in. Yes it is under renovation and it sure needs it, but more than that. When I got to my room there was no luggage rack in the room. I ask the front desk to get me one. At first I was told there were none, then that only some rooms have them, so I said get me one from another room you are not full tonight are you? About 30 min later the guy shows up with and old beat up wooden one. So while waiting on him I was sitting in the room chair and looked across the room under the bed and noticed it looked white and somthing was there. The white turned out to be a layer of dust and the object was a pill. I don't think they have vacuumed under the bed for a long time. Then I noticed all of the stuff on the carpet. Lint, a piece of dog food, and finger nail clippings. Now I am starting to look around. There was a layer of dust on all of the baseboards, on the TV, on the room lamp bulbs,on the lamps in the bathroom and on the bathroom exhaust vent grill. Next I noticed the surface mounted electrical outlet box at the side of the bed was coming off the wall and one of 5 bathroom bulbs was out. There was a 12inch long black hair on the bedside lamp shade and another on the edge of the bathtub. I guess management never checks behind the cleaning staff. Since I was staying for several days I went hang up my clothes and there were only 5 coat hangers. This room has a stange air conditioner placement and when it comes on it blows the cold air blows directly down on to the bed. This is also a pet friendly hotel so it you don't like staying by or after fido make that known when making your reservation. I had the room with barky next door. If you want a quiet room stay on the end away from the interstate highway. One side of the hotel gives you a close-up view of the hotel next door and the other side a view of the parking lot. The good news is the breakfast was typical for HIE but the area was kept very clean and well stocked. The attendant was very cordial and helpful. To the manager of this hotel, I don't need you to try to make it up to me next time. I need you to get out of your office and do you job to see that your rooms are clean and in good working order before I arrive the next time.

Room Tip: Rooms on west end away from interstate 55 are probably quieter. Check to see if the room is non-smo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Fletch1119
MgrHIX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Springfield, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for the feedback and I'm sorry your stay was less than satisfactory. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed October 6, 2013

After living in this hotel for 4 weeks, I must say Holiday Inn Express made my stay very enjoyable. I would like to thank Janet, Denise, Ashley, and David for the wonderful friendliness, help and smiles of the front desk and accomodations.... I can't say enough for housekeeping either, Lashaun and Shamicka took good care of my room keeping it clean and restocking. Every morning at breakfest, I was greeted with a smile from Elvyra before enjoying the hot breakfest food. I've stayed in many hotels, and this was a very pleasant stay. This hotel was conveniently located close to work, and the capital downtown to tour the sites.
I plan to recommend family and friends to stay at this location.

My only suggestion would be to get a shuttle bus service for guest that want to tour the sites around the city....

Room Tip: If you are new to the area of Springfield and here on business like me, ask for Janet or Denise to h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
MgrHIX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Springfield, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to recognize our staff. I will be sure to share your comments with them. Thanks for your business and we look forward to seeing you again!
O'Fallon, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Booked a queen, non-smoking room and was given a smoking room with two double beds. When inquiring about the situation, they had queen bed rooms available, so not quite sure why our preference was not acknowledged originally at check in. Upon arriving in the queen room, the room had a faint smell and was not as clean as it could have been. The air conditioning/ ventilation system was also poor... The whole hotel had a muggy/musty feel and smell. In addition to this, we woke up extremely congested. Our refrigerator was broken and dirty with standing water inside. The decor of the hotel in general was outdated and in bad need of updating - carpets, wallpaper, tiling, furniture, ect. Overall, definitely not worth a 109.00 + tax stay.

Room Tip: Book at the Hilton Garden Inn next door.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
MgrHIX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Springfield, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
I am very sorry to hear about the issues you encountered during your stay. We are an older property and do face many challenges because of this. We are undergoing renovation currently in our business center, fitness center, and lobby. We strive to exceed in excellent customer service and I would appreciate the chance to make it up to you on a future stay. Please contact me if your travels ever bring you to the Capital City again.

Best Regards,
Denise Krager
dkrager@cpspringfield.com
ny
Reviewed September 24, 2013

ok so I got there late the night before without a reservation I told the guy in the front I needed a room I came in with a friend who had a reservation and I told the gentle man I would be staying the same length as my friend. After going up to my room, the room smelled of mold but whatever Im tired so I try and sleep. The night wasnt quiet noise up and down the halls. In the am I decide to go out and see Abe Lincoln's tomb only to discover when I got back the room key didnt work and when I went to the front to investigate I was told that I was checked out of the room because they thought I was leaving. Im like huh? I had the do not disturb sign on the door and all of my things were still in the room so how the hell am I checking out while leaving all of my stuff in the room? So Then they said my stuff was locked in some room and that they only have one key to open the door and the guy with the key wasnt on the property. So being a new yorker I understandably was irate. So they re check me in and i get back upstairs only to discover that my 80.00 Natori bra had been stolen out of my bag! Who the hell steals lingerie? Used lingerie??? ugh go to the crown plaza. Its almost the same price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank wynter541
MgrHIX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Springfield, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Please contact the hotel directly regarding this incident. We are not aware of any incidents of this nature occurring. Please call or email me personally at your convenience.

Thanks,
Denise Krager, AGM
217-529-7771
dkrager@cpspringfield.com
Milan, Italy
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed with my family at Holiday Inn Express in Springfield, Illinois, for some days with my family, in order to visit Springfield.

It has been a good experience, the hotel is conveniently located close to the town.
Unfortunately it does not provide shuttle service, so we had to use the car for every movement.
Good place to stay with the family.

There are McDonalds and other places where to eat on the other side of the road.

It is next to the Crowne Plaza, and HIE guests can use its indoor pool at 14th floor, with great panoramic view.

A special thank to Denise and Jenny at the front desk.

Room Tip: All rooms are ok, just rely in the staff.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MgrHIX, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Springfield, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your business! We hope you continue to choose IHG hotels in Springfield and throughout the country.
The Colony, Texas, United States
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We came into Springfield on our way home. Ashley H at the front desk remembered us from our previous stay. The staff is always very helpful and nice. Free water and drinks on check in. We also used the shuttle to get from the hotel to the Springfield train station. It is nice to have a shuttle that goes somewhere other than the airport. They also have a Hertz rental station in the attached Crown Plaza.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Excellent nights sleep! The staff was friendly and accommodating! The breakfast area was well maintained and clean, food was fresh and lots of choices!
Only suggestion is to clean the AC vent/filter, was quite dirty.
Overall, excellent!