“Best large Hotel in Springfield”

Crowne Plaza Springfield
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
“Best large Hotel in Springfield”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Had a last minute overnight stay for work. I've actually been to this hotel many times for conferences etc, but have never stayed. I was looking to stay at a Holiday Inn or affiliated hotel. However with the state fair in town all my usuals were booked. So the Crowne came up in one of my searches. To my surprise they had availability and even allowed me to book at the G rate, awesome.

The check-in staff was great and acknowledged me as a priority club member. The hotel wasn't crowded, mainly due to its size. The common areas are really nice to upscale,especially for Springfield.

Now for the rooms. I stayed in a standard suite room with a king sized bed. Overall it was clean and the bed was comfortable. I will say the sheets were super crisp to the point of being a bit uncomfortable, but I can live with that. There were a few parts of the room that were dated and need updating like the mirrored closet doors and heating/cooling system.

Prob the only area I'd give the Crowne a slightly lower grade on was the bathroom tub area and sink. Both were dated, while the shower was really showing its age.

But like I said over all a great place to stay for a quick overnight or extended stay.

• Stayed August 2013
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for the 5 star review!! Glad you chose to stay with us during your visit to the State Fair. We hope you will consider booking with us during future visits.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
East Peoria, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel is easily reached from I-55/I72 and has an adequate parking lot. The hotel's common areas and my room were clean, neat and comfortable. The room was well furnished and equipped and with the drapes drawn was dark and quiet. The alarm radio was confusing to set but the wake call, set at registration desk, was right on time. My one complaint, which is common to many hotels of this class - up-scale business - is that they charge extra for in-room wi-fi and breakfast is not included. Many hotels costing half as much, include these amenities. I suspect that their target guest is traveling on business and can charge those fees to his expense account and thus is not concerned about them.

Room Tip: I could see a long way from my tenth floor room but there was not much to see.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking a moment to recognize several of the great features we have to offer. We do offer free Wi-Fi in our lobby for all guests, and in the room for free to all levels of IHG Rewards, which is a 100% free loyalty program our guests can sign up for at the hotel. Thank you for staying with us on your trip to Springfield.
Springfield, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here using my room for my bridal suite while getting ready for my wedding. The room was immaculate and had ample amount of room for all my bridesmaids to meet me to get ready. The bed was extremely comfortable minus sheets that were rough. The only complaint I have was that unknowingly to me until 4 hours before check-in was that the Crowne Plaza was having a car show. I booked my room 8 months prior and no information about what was going to be booked there (considering they do draw a lot of convention events in). When the staff called to inform me it wa them saying there were still parking spots available at the end or we could just park in the adjacent hotels parking lot. When I got there it was a mad house. Every single spot in their parking lot was given to the car show. So this now means all the guests not involved with the car show has no privileges to the parking lot. Most of the car group kept parking in the drop off spot with golf carts and random cars so it became quite the nightmare to unload my wedding dress and all of my luggage. I ended up having to park completely behind the building in another hotels parking lot that was almost full to the max. This was very frustrating and hard to understand why a hotel would not give their guests AT LEAST one open lane to park in. But I made it threw it all alive haha. I did want to commend the hotel for the prompt return of my make-up bag that did get left behind, though. There was quite a bit of pricey items in it and it was returned to me safe and sound.

• Stayed July 2013
I apologize you were not informed sooner of the details of the car show. I hope that your friends and family were not too inconvenienced in finding parking. Thank you for having your wedding with us. I know the hotel was very busy with the car show, but we truly hope we made your wedding special.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed here while attending our car club's annual car show. Our reservation dates were wrong but the staff readily corrected the error. (Note the registration desk is on the 2nd floor) Rooms were clean & comfortable with enough space to accomodate a roll away bed. Bathroom was spacious as well. Wi-fi available for a daily fee unless you are member of their rewards program. Dining availabe in on-site restaurants/bars, as well as room service, but did not partake during our stay. Several restaurants within walking distance. One evening several in our group walked to a nearby restaurant and just as we were preparing to walk back to the hotel a torrential rain started. We called hotel and they promptly sent a shuttle van to pick us up!
Cons: Housekeeping only did minimal cleaning and didn't clean coffee pot nor replace coffee packs. Refrigerator in the room doesn't not have shelves in it so don't plan on keeping much in it. Ice maker and vending machine on our floor were out-of-order and we had to go to another floor to get ice.
Would I stay here again? Depends - If it was the preferred hotel for a group/organization event, then yes. If I were traveling alone or small group, no.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read our staff was able to take care of you both with the reservation challenge as well as with the shuttle. Thank you for staying with us during the car show. We really had a good time with this event!!
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here for one night while on business. Room was on one of the top floors -- somehow, traffic noise from the nearby highway carried all the way up to my room. While not overbearingly loud, it was still distracting enough to keep me up at night. (and I'm from Manhattan...)

The room was mostly clean -- there were a few small/stray pieces of trash paper on the floor but otherwise okay. I was a little surprised that when I first entered the room, the bill for the prior guest was right on the floor. Oops.

Some minor annoyances -- there was a conference while I was at the hotel, and it was clear the hotel was under-staffed. Multiple calls to the front desk and to the switchboard never got answered. Also, the wifi Internet wasn't working, and the instructions on the desk were old and dated (I later found conflicting instructions in my key card packet). After multiple tries over the course of 30 minutes, I finally got the wifi to work.

Room Tip: As far away from the highway as possible...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Springfield. I apologize for the challenges you experienced, and I will address several of the items you noted with the appropriate staff members. Thank you for taking a moment to provide a review of your visit.
Washington, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Lobby is beautiful and the 14th Floor Deck at night was great. So it looked great, but we had issues when you looked beyond the first impression.

The room was clean and nice, but 2 double beds were a little squishy. I prefer 2 queen beds. I woke up achy and I'm not usually picky about beds.The bathroom was great, but there were only 3 bath towels.

The pool was very crowded in the evening and there were no clean towels. We asked an employee and they called for more towels. Then 20 minutes later, I called down to the housekeeping and they didn't answer and I tried the front desk and they said they would send up more towels. Finally 40 minutes from the first request, another hotel guest suggested that the work out room might have towels.

The gift store was closed every time we went by at all times of the day, and finally we saw it was open at 9 am one morning. They said they open at 8 am and are usually open all day, but since the hotel was slow they had been closing at noon. We never tried the restaurant or the coffee bar, but they looked nice when they were open. Again, it seemed like they had shortened hours during our weekend stay.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Springfield. I will address the feedback you provided with the appropriate people. Thank you for taking a moment to provide a review of your stay with us.
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Nice hotel. Enough parking. Nikki at the front desk was helpful. Beds are 2Xdouble or King. The double bed we had was soft and pushed us to the center. Compared to other hotel I stayed, this one was smaller. The pool on the 14th floor is nice and the view from there of the city is great, specially for watching 4th of July fireworks. Unfortunately the fireworks was for only 15 minutes.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to read you had an enjoyable stay, and I will be happy to share your feedback with Nikki. Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Springfield.