“Weekday vs Weekend stays”

Crowne Plaza Springfield
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Janesville, Wisconsin
“Weekday vs Weekend stays”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Apparently this is not the place to stay on a weekend as the staff seems second rate like a bunch of unsupervised kids compared to the week day staff which are more professional. Used to stay here for conventions and loved it. What a difference on a weekend; very quiet and not a lot of people. Have always loved the feel of the bar/lounge area and the area outside the bar with the leather seating arrangements; has a luxurious feel to it. However this stay was very disappointing. The bar/lounge staff acted very immature to the point it was embarrassing and ruined the experience. When asking about restaurant options in the area, the younger man at check in helped some but told me to check with the concierge; however, the concierge was never to be found. Have always enjoyed shopping at their unique gift shop but the hours on Sunday were unreliable. Upon arriving at closing on Saturday I was told someone was scheduled for Sunday and they would be open. Sunday at check out time I went down and there was a sign on the door; back in a few minutes. I waited and waited and no one ever came; think the sign was left up from day before. They had signs advertising the weekend buffets but it didn't look like anyone was in the restaurant so it couldn't be that popular or perhaps maybe it wasn't that good. Can't say for sure since we decided not eat there. We had had a nice visit with family in St. Louis but our stay at the Crowne Plaza on the way home ended our mini get away on a sour note.

Room Tip: Week day stays are great but if you are looking for good customer service, do not stay on a weekend.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dcbest
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
I apologize you did not have a more enjoyable experience during you visit with us. I will be addressing several of the comments you provided with the appropriate staff members. Thank you for providing this feedback. Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Springfield.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
North Apollo, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Arrived as a worn out frequent traveler with my daughter looking for a nicer place to rest for the night. Upon arrival I asked for any upgrades or even a suite, I was told no at first then promptly told it would cost more.....duh..when I asked how much I was then told they had no upgraded or suites with 2queen/double beds. Ok, I then asked if the room could have something a little special, like a view???? What I got was a room with a view of literally the roof, vents and exhaust vents..oh boy, thanks for being helpful! Room was good, clean, dated though, never really cooled down. Furniture and fixtures are ok, again dated but it was a nice large room. Not sure if this one lived up to the Crowne plaza name?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip to Springfield. I apologize for the challenges you had at check in and I will address this with the Front Desk. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay.
Hazel Crest, Illinois
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at the Crown Springfield from June 10-12 for a conference. I arrived around 11:30 and was afraid that I would not be able to check into my room into 3:00 p.m.. Especially since I had a pre conference at 12:30 p.m. To my surprise my room was available. The room was a nice size plenty of towels, and large bathroom. I espcially liked the USA newspaper being delivered everyday. Plenty of restaurants to choose from in surrounding area. Also a cineplex located right next door. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Hotel is great for business and families as well. I also read in several other reviews that some people had problems with the bed linen. I did not experience this during my stay. My sleep was sound and peaceful. No crinkling of sheets and the sheets and bedspread were soft and comftorable

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m happy to read we were able to get you an early check in. We greatly appreciate you including a positive review in regards to our bed linen as we have been working to make it more soft. Also, Thank you for kind words in regards to the staff. Hopefully, we can count on your reservation for your next trip to Springfield.
Chicago
Reviewed June 16, 2013

First of all, I think Springfield has a hotel problem in general. Most of the more upscale properties are kind of serviceable at best and seem to be geared much more toward businessmen than someone staying for pleasure, without the amenities you'd get at similar hotels in other cities. The Crowne Plaza does seem to be more of a convention hotel than one catering for people on vacation.

Having said that, the room was fine with a nice updated and clean bathroom and a handy little sitting area with a table. It's close to a lot of different restaurants and not too far from town. The first problem was finding the reception area. There is no valet parking and not one single soul downstairs to tell you that reception is actually on the second floor, not even a decent sign pointing the way. It's ridiculous--we actually ended up going in to the hotel next door and asking them where the heck was the front door of the Crowne Plaza. The front desk people, once we located them, were very nice, as was everyone I encountered while there The gift shop lady was particularly nice and they had some cute stuff in there. Nowhere on the premises can you get a newspaper, however.

The room was basic but nice and clean. Beds were comfortable. Room service dinner was quite good with a decent variety on the menu. The swimming pool is very no frills but I actually quite liked it. It was clean without that eye-burning chlorine smell and the temperature of the water was perfect. No locker rooms or restrooms very close so you have to keep that in mind. There's a little coffee/snack place in the second floor lobby that looked interesting but it never seemed to be open. Not sure what was up with that.

Room service breakfast the next morning was a disaster. I believe they had some staffing problems. It took forever and then they brought us the wrong order. I called to tell them and they brought up another wrong order. The lady was so apologetic and I felt sorry for her, but for crying out loud you need more room service staff on a Saturday morning. The breakfast was kind of bad as well-the food and coffee were cold, and the bagel only came with strawberry cream cheese. Yuck. I gave up and tried to get a danish or something in the coffee shop but, you guessed it, it wasn't open.

I'm not sure I'd stay here again as it's kind of far from town and nothing stood out enough to bring me back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Springfield. I apologize for the issues you had during your visit. I have addressed the feedback you provided in regards to your room service experience. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. We hope you will consider staying with us during your next visit; and thank you for taking a moment to provide feedback in regards to your stay.
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I understand this hotel has faced financial challenges over the years, so I was pleasantly surprised that those challenges have not resulted in a deteriorated property. The hotel and facilities were clean, did not show excessive wear and were functional. The ballroom (2nd Floor) is a pleasant and attractive space. The first floor meeting space is a bit basic and when opened up for large groups, awkward support pillars cause sight line problems. The banquet food service was good, fresh and flavorful with good personalities exhibited by the servers. The breakfast croissant sandwich was, however, a bit silly with very large croissant and a very small egg & sausage in the middle surround by the then flavorless overly abundant croissant. The guest room was clean and the bathroom spacious, though lack of ventilation limited mirror use after a shower. The TV system had some band width problems with the TV digitally freezing while the system attempted to "catch up" with the signal. Staff was pleasant. The location is a bit odd on the southeast corner is Springfield away from the city center and any alternative attractions. The view of rooms facing south is dominated by power plans smoke stacks.

• Stayed June 2013
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Springfield. And, thank you for pointing out our ”financial challenges” have not been a challenge for the hotel at all. We did change management companies one year ago, and the process has been great for our guests, the staff, and the property! I apologize if our support pillars caused any challenges for you during your conference, but with 30,000 sq. ft. of meeting space on the first floor I’m sure they were required. I have noted your feedback about the croissant sandwiches having too much breading, and will pass this information along to the Executive Chef. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Thank you for the kind words regarding a clean room and spacious bathroom. As we are located on the southeast side of Springfield, which is a 10 minute drive from the downtown area, we are conveniently located right off the interstate that wraps around the city. Arriving and departing the hotel has been made very easy for our Guests. In addition to the smoke stacks that are visible from the south side of the building, there is also a great view of Lake Springfield and the surrounding wooded area, which is actually a very pretty view. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope you enjoyed your conference. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Springfield!
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

The bed, breakfast staff, jacuzzi, and pool are all very nice. However when the air conditioning vents tick (even when off), the doors loudly shake when other guest come or go, and the adjoining room's doors have a half an inch space so you can hear their rooms CLEARLY and see light under them at 5:15 am, it really does not matter how comfortable the bed is. I would HIGHLY recommend not spending your money for a executive suite.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read you do not feel our suites are as valuable as we do. Our suites offer two 42 inch HD flat panel TV's, almost 900 sp. ft. of space, dining room table, living room, half kitchen with fridge and sink, 4 person Jacuzzi, and 1 1/2 bathrooms.
Thank you for staying with us and I am truly sorry you did not have a more enjoyable experience in one of our Executive Suites.

Travelers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Reviewed May 26, 2013

My family and I stayed for 2 nights. My 1st thought of the hotel is how niced it looked. very Grand. my mistake. our room was nothing special. Uncomfy beds. Slippery tub, especially giving my 1 year old a bath she kept sliding down. Our toilet clogged up our 1stnight there. Our bathroom didn't have a fan, so we couldn't air out the room. my son and I went swimming our 1st night there and he end up getting a rash all over his body . I filed an incendent report and they took some pictures of his body. the next morning I found a 5$ coupon under our door. We end up taking our son to the ER. I did let the hotel know. they give us free breakfast and late check out. we only stayed 30mins late bc there was nothing for us to do. Also I cannot believe there is no free WiFi. I am not going so spend 5$ to use WiFi. I think this hotel trys to hard and sadly it falls short. We did eat there for breakfast. both days. nothing special besides the 13$ per person price. I try not to be a complainer but sometimes I have to. The only good thing about this hotel is that we got a discounted rate for the room.

• Stayed May 2013
I apologize for the challenges you experienced in your room. I have addressed these issues with the appropriate team leaders. I am very sorry your son developed a rash in our pool. As you did not mention having any issues, it may be an allergic reaction to pool chemicals. Thank you for participating in our Make A Green Choice program, which is why you received a $5 voucher under your door.

We do offer free Wi-Fi to all Priority Club members, which is a 100% free loyalty program that anybody can join.